Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2100 (2200), ICC Profiles and color cast  (Read 9847 times)

Peter_Gulbinat

• http://www.petersdreams.com
Epson 2100 (2200), ICC Profiles and color cast
« on: March 16, 2006, 03:26:34 pm »

Hi experts

I've been using an Epson 2100 successfully on a PC for 2 years.

Now I switched to a Mac (OSX 10.4.5) and Photoshop CS2 and the problems begin

I use the latest printer driver from the epson web site and I downloaded and installed the latest icm profiles.

Now: The problem is I can't seem to be using the ICM profiles since I can't seem to be switching off the color management in the printer driver

I select the ICM profile in Photoshop and when I get to the printer driver I select "no color management", but when I preview or print the image it gets a magenta colour cast indicating double color management.

The only way I can get a correct print is by leaving the color management to the printer driver and turing it off in CS2, but that's not what I want to do. I want to use the paper/ink specific ICM profiles.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:58:44 pm »

A magenta cast usually means double color management (you applied the profile twice). No Color Management in Print with Preview is correct IF you applied the profile prior using Convert to Profile. But make sure in the Epson driver it's set to "No Color Adjustment".
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peter_Gulbinat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 02:40:35 am »

Thanks for your reply

Hm, lt me see

When I manuall "assign" the Epson profile in Photoshop using "assign profile", the image on the screen becomes green. In print preview I let photoshop handle the color management and define the same epson color profile for print. I switch off the Epson color management in the driver, the print comes out fine.

When I manuall "convert" to the Epson profile in Photoshop using "convert to profile", the image on the screen stays the same. In print preview I let photoshop handle the color management and define the same epson color profile for print. I switch off the Epson color management in the driver, the print comes out magenta.

If I don't manually convert to any profile (Adobe 1998 is standard for my image) and in print preview let photoshop handle the color management and define the epson profile for printing, INDEPENDENTLY of what I choose in the Epson printer driver (no color adjustment, ColorSync or Color Controls), I get a magenta cast

My interpretation is that the epson printer driver ALWAYS applies the profile independently of what I choose for color management, therefore producing a magenta cast every time the image comes from photoshop with the profile applied.

What am I doing wrong?

Your help is appreciated

Cheers
Peter

colourperfect

• http://www.colourperfect.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 03:43:32 am »

Peter,

Leave the image in its editing space (sRGB or AdobeRGB - recommended). This allows you to print the same image to an alternative printer in the future.

Then select print with preview.
Let Photoshop handle the colours
The document profile should be the editing space ( ie Adobe RGB)
The printer profile should be choosen to match your paper, the rendering either rel col or perceptual (you need to experiment here)

Now hit print

You need to make sure that the driver is set to NO COLOR ADJUSTMENT is selected in CUSTOM / ADVANCED in the EPSON driver in addition to all the other appropriate settings such as paper type etc.

This should ensure that the profile is applied once, by photoshop and not by the printer driver.

Please note that EPSON's (not photoshop's) preview of your image will have a magenta tint - its a well known shortfall - dont worry.

For further info have a look at Print Workflow 2 here http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_print/ps9_print_1.htm

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk

Thanks for your reply

Hm, lt me see

When I manuall "assign" the Epson profile in Photoshop using "assign profile", the image on the screen becomes green. In print preview I let photoshop handle the color management and define the same epson color profile for print. I switch off the Epson color management in the driver, the print comes out fine.

When I manuall "convert" to the Epson profile in Photoshop using "convert to profile", the image on the screen stays the same. In print preview I let photoshop handle the color management and define the same epson color profile for print. I switch off the Epson color management in the driver, the print comes out magenta.

If I don't manually convert to any profile (Adobe 1998 is standard for my image) and in print preview let photoshop handle the color management and define the epson profile for printing, INDEPENDENTLY of what I choose in the Epson printer driver (no color adjustment, ColorSync or Color Controls), I get a magenta cast

My interpretation is that the epson printer driver ALWAYS applies the profile independently of what I choose for color management, therefore producing a magenta cast every time the image comes from photoshop with the profile applied.

What am I doing wrong?

Your help is appreciated

Cheers
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

francois

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:42 am »

You need to make sure that the driver is set to NO COLOR ADJUSTMENT is selected in CUSTOM / ADVANCED in the EPSON driver in addition to all the other appropriate settings such as paper type etc.
Make sure that you check this before every print. It's not unusual that this setting reverts to  Epson color management.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 05:41:19 am by francois »
Francois

Peter_Gulbinat

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:06:20 am »

Thanks for your help

I did all you told me. It now works. The problem was, that if you change the color management setting in the Epson printer driver to "no color correction" FIRST and then change the other printer settings (like paper type, resolution et al) and then press print, it  reverts the color correction setting to "Color Controls". If you change the color management settings LAST, it works fine. Go figure.

And thanks for the hint that the Epson preview is always Magenta - even though it prints fine.

Great! :-) Thanks for your help
Cheers from Switzerland
Peter

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:31:15 pm »

Thanks for your help

I did all you told me. It now works. The problem was, that if you change the color management setting in the Epson printer driver to "no color correction" FIRST and then change the other printer settings (like paper type, resolution et al) and then press print, it  reverts the color correction setting to "Color Controls". If you change the color management settings LAST, it works fine. Go figure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, you're right and that's why I always check this before every printing.  Even if you use a printer preset, color management is reset.  
And thanks for the hint that the Epson preview is always Magenta - even though it prints fine.

Great! :-) Thanks for your help
Cheers from Switzerland
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Cheers from Switzerland too!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up