Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long can you wait before stretching?  (Read 6059 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
How long can you wait before stretching?
« on: September 12, 2015, 02:38:46 pm »

Just curious... how long, after you're coated a canvas with something like BC Timeless, can you wait before stretching it? I understand you should wait until the varnish is dry - I usually let it dry at least overnight but usually 24 hours.  But is there any problem to leaving it longer... a week, a month?
Mike Guilbault

na goodman

Re: How long can you wait before stretching?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:58:30 pm »

I usually wait 24 hours. The longer you wait - week, month, etc., the more likely you will cracking when you go to stretch.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:59:16 pm »

I have had major cracking on the corners and when creasing before stretching after 3 or 4 days. (Mostly with temps under 60 degrees.)
I really have to be careful when creasing the long and short edges for alignment before stretching. The first 2 days I normally have no problems.
This is with either Timeless or Glamor II.
I try my best to stretch within 48 hours after coating.
My biggest concern is when sending varnished prints for someone to do their own stretching.
The colder it is the worse the problem.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:17:20 pm by Dan Berg »

framah

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:03:00 pm »

Maybe you could wave a hair dryer along the edge of the canvas where it is going over the stretcher frame. That would soften the coating enough to prevent it from cracking.

just a thought. ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:34:11 pm »

Folding too sharp of a crease before stretching is more the problem. Corners can be cracked fairly easy as well.
A real nice radius on my strainer bars pretty much eliminates any cracking from stretching.
I use those creases as line up lines before stretching and stapling.
Mostly low temp related.
I control the heat more towards 60+ in the winter and the issue pretty mush disappears.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:16:24 pm »

Just curious... how long, after you're coated a canvas with something like BC Timeless, can you wait before stretching it? I understand you should wait until the varnish is dry - I usually let it dry at least overnight but usually 24 hours.  But is there any problem to leaving it longer... a week, a month?

Hi Mike,

I must first say that I do not stretch canvas, I only print it and have been doing so since 2006.  I send my customers to a framing shop somewhat near my business.  The lady who stretches the canvases I print has told me repeatedly that they are the easiest to work with.  I certainly cannot say whether that has to do with the canvas itself, the coating or perhaps both.  For many years I've been using BC Chromata White with great results, but I do not use their coatings.  I suppose probably the old dog scenario, stay with the coating I know.  When I first started printing canvas I was using the Premier Art product, but eventually switched to BC due to pricing and distribution factors.  I did however stay with the Premier Eco Print Shield coating.  Again, staying with what I knew worked.  I have only had one issue with EPS and cracking edges.  The framer called and expressed concerns, so I immediately got on touch with the Premier tech.  He said the product was probably shipped in the wrong section of the cargo compartment and froze for a period of time, something one must look out for with aqueous based coatings.  Since I had picked it up in late spring(warm weather) it was obviously not an error on my part.  He issued a credit and I picked up a new 1 gallon can the next day from Vistek.  I have at least a dozen sample canvases at work that have been sitting coated for more than 5 years under various temp and RH conditions.  I use them to display my print work, the canvas weave and the coating variations I use.  I also do the fold test to show the customer the durability of the coating when stretching.  I am definitely not trying to sway anyone toward one coating or another, just sharing my own experiences.  I hope this might help Mike.

Gary     

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 12:05:35 am »

Great info... thanks everyone.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up