Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remembering 9/11  (Read 1955 times)

thebatman

Remembering 9/11
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:05:32 pm »

Thank you Kevin for a beautiful and moving piece, and for the lovely images.  We will all remember that day and the days that followed.  Here's hoping you find peace with your thoughts.  Your family's service to our country is truly amazing and you should be justifiably proud.

-Ken

Colorado David

Re: Remembering 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:26 pm »

Thank you Kevin.  Several years ago I was in Washington D.C. on a shoot with a client.  After dinner one night he calls my room and says he's going to get a cab and go visit The Wall (the Vietnam War Memorial) and did I want to go. I did, so we met up and got a cab.  When we got there, he looked at his watch and said, "I'll meet you back here at 11:00" and disappeared into the area of The Wall.  He's a Vietnam veteran and up till that point hadn't spoken much about it.  He promptly met me back at the arranged spot at eleven, offered no explanation, I never asked for one, and we went back to the hotel.  In the years since, he has opened up some about his experience.  In those years I'm guessing he's gotten down his box and cracked the lid open a little bit.

ednazarko

Re: Remembering 9/11
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »

Lovely memory piece.  I still can't get myself down to the World Trade Center area, not sure how well I'd handle it.  Cantor Fitzgerald was a customer I supported, and my company lost one consultant who was there simply because he was being a nice guy, came in early for a meeting and brought bagels for breakfast.  I was late for the meeting, and arrived shortly after the first plane hit.  By the time I figured out I needed to get out of there, the only way out was walking, and I was on crutches (knee injury.)  Took me a long time to get back to the office up in Union Square.  Took a couple of pictures as I was retreating but haven't looked at them since.  A full quarter of the people at a wedding I attended three weeks before - an in-law's wedding, he did PR for Cantor for years and was close friends with many people there - died in that event.

I photographed down there a couple of times shortly after, six months after, and a year after, and each time it was a mistake going.  Wasn't ready, within a short period of time I wasn't shooting, just walking around.  Now I'm wondering if maybe it's time to try again.  Your photographs felt thoughtful and calming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up