Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another stormy clouds picture  (Read 2656 times)

ptrnyc

Another stormy clouds picture
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:43 am »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Another stormy clouds picture
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:21:07 am »

I think the overall subject is very nice - although I think the bottom needs some more ground showing - your too tight on the bottom. The real problem issues are the bad blown highlights and the banding from pano stitching(?). This is the kind of landscape I shoot a lot of - and typically for something like this shot I would capture an image or set for stitching stopped down 2 and then 5 stops down and then just blend in a darker sky of some of the really bright highlights with the groundscape. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

ptrnyc

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:30:28 am »

Thanks for your comments.  And you're right - I stitched these with Hugin, using 10 different shots, but I made the mistake to take them horizontally, which results in a reduced bottom.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »

Yeah, it's a nice scene but those technical issues tend to grab my attention.
When I shoot a pano I try to meter on what would be the brightest part of the scene which in your shot would be the frame with the big white clouds. Then I lock that exposure and focus using the AE-L button before recomposing to shoot the pano sequence.
The result is some darker frames but it will then stitch pretty cleanly and I can bring up the shadows if need be.
-MattB

ptrnyc

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »

I wonder if I can fix that by processing the individual frames with some kind of exposure equalization, before stitching them....

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:52:49 pm »

Might be worth a try. If you shot RAW and are using lightroom you might be able to tame the highlights with the highlight slider before stitching. Then sync the edits to the rest of the files so they are the same.
-MattB

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:01:35 pm »

The exposure problem might be "fixed" depending on how blown out it was, what type of file it was etc. Sometimes I use equalization depending on image. I did do this recently for a pano stitch image (similar to yours where sky was the issue) where initially lowering the exposure of sky of the stitch in post showed banding - so created one pano stitch from frames that had exposure lowered and blended it in to a "normal exposed" groundscape in PSCC. It is much easier just to "bracket" (if you can) as mentioned before going forward...especially if you have some intense highlights like in your image.  /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:03:47 pm »

Nice tourist picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:19:47 pm »

Meh - not worth the effort except for personal growth or to say you were there. This may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up