Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: leaf aptus ii 5 - leaf aptus ii 7 - phase one p25+  (Read 3950 times)

david distefano

leaf aptus ii 5 - leaf aptus ii 7 - phase one p25+
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:33:34 pm »

haven't been on the site in a long time due to a lengthy illness and it's time that i picked up a back for my v system since i sold my cfv-16. the subject line are the three units that i am contemplating, because besides the v system, i have an arca swiss 6x9 that i will be using with the back, so no micro lensing and i don't want a 33x44 sensor . maximum print size 20x24. maybeeeeee 24x30? the p25+ vs the l-a ii 5 are very similar with the added benefit of long exposures for the p25+, but also a premium in money. since long exposures are not that important is there any other compelling reason for the p25+ over the leaf aptus 5 for the extra money? i am also considering the leaf aptus 7, but for the maximum print size i am looking at, will i see a major improvement in image quality? will the zeiss lenses for the v system(cf and cfi) really hold up on the leaf aptus 7?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: leaf aptus ii 5 - leaf aptus ii 7 - phase one p25+
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:06 am »

I don't have any experience with the p25, but when I was shopping around for my back, I did a lot of research on the Aptii. The II 5 is a beautiful back and the files look absolutely amazing. Fat pixel Magic is well and truly there.

Prices are very reasonable too, at the moment.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

DanielStone

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:39 am »

Your Hasselblad V lenses will resolve perfectly fine on the Aptus 33mp chip. More than adequate, let's just put it that way :)

I'd say it's mostly up to user interface, and the native "look" of the file, straight out of the back that could/would influence a decision. I know that for me, the touch screen(and a much larger, detailed screen to boot) on the Aptus is a BIG benefit, especially if working in the field, without the aid of a computer/laptop to tether to.

-Dan

torger

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:48:23 am »

The increase from 22 to 33 megapixel is gradual, just as 33 to 50 is, and 50/60 to 80. So no I would not say any major improvement. For the "perceptual" resolution increase I think it's more telling to look at one side, 9um down to 7.2um than the area pixel count, and that's a 25% increase.

I think you will notice a reduction in situations where you get bad moire though even when going from 22 to 33, that's probably the largest improvement in terms of image quality. So if you experience moire issues from time to time, going for the 33 could be worthwhile. There's also the Aptus 75 which can be had at a lower price and has virtually the same image quality as Aptus-II 7, but is slower.

The Leaf series are not as popular as Phase One on the second hand market which show on the prices, so if you're into value for money Leaf is probably the better choice. On the other hand when shopping around for a good price it's best to be open-minded on which back you're getting so you can get the best deal for the moment.

The main advantage as I see it of the P25+ is that it can be more reliable. From time to time people get issues with the Aptus series, related to cold or hot weather, occasional write errors to the CF cards etc. Many use them without problems too. From my own experience with Aptus together with other user reports I've seen the most likely cause of the Aptus issues is sample variation, some backs are good, some are less so. My first Aptus 75 was dreadful if not shooting in room temperature, my last Aptus 75 was virtually flawless, even if shooting in -30C. The P25+ is instead known to be very reliable like the whole P+ series. If you shoot in tough conditions this is something you should consider, but if you're more a room temperature kind of guy then the risk with Aptus is low.

Concerning lenses, if it's good enough for 22 megapixel it's good enough for 33.

With the Aptus series, even the older, the screen is good enough for pixel peep sharpness check. This you can't do on P25+. If you find that feature valuable, Aptus is your back. If you trust your focusing skill or are not that worried about focusing precision you won't need that of course.

If I knew the previous user of the back has used it successfully in the type of shooting conditions I'm facing (my case -20C from time to time) I'd go for the Aptus, buying in the blind I'd go for the P25+. One aspect of the P25+ vs Aptus is that the Aptus looks pretty ugly on the V body, while a P25+ looks better, not as nice as a CFV back though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:50:54 am by torger »

tochnia

• t-e-o.net
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:56 am »

There is one more important difference between leaf aptus ii 7 /Aptus 75/ and 22 MPx backs.
That is that ISO is 1 step higher, base ISO is 50 on 33MPx back vs ISO25 for 22MPx backs.
So you can shoot up to ISO800 (even there is lot of noise) vs max ISO400 on P25/aptus ii 5.

And this is really making the difference when you are shooting without enough light or with slower lenses.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »

There is one more important difference between leaf aptus ii 7 /Aptus 75/ and 22 MPx backs.
That is that ISO is 1 step higher, base ISO is 50 on 33MPx back vs ISO25 for 22MPx backs.
So you can shoot up to ISO800 (even there is lot of noise) vs max ISO400 on P25/aptus ii 5.

And this is really making the difference when you are shooting without enough light or with slower lenses.

Base ISO of the P25+ is 50.
You can shoot up to ISO 800.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:51:39 pm »

Base ISO of the P25+ is 50.
You can shoot up to ISO 800.

You can. I don't think the results will be very good, sadly.
The P30 is much better for some reason in low light, for some reason.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cyron123

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:52:08 am »

Hi,
One big point for me is the fan in the aptus series. If I shoot landscape and the nature is so cool it is not really cool to have a fan noise in the background....

If you shoot in the city. Don't worry. But shoot in silence the fan is too loud. But this is my very own option.

But the screen for 100% check of the aptus is better..

Conclusion: I use booth and like both...
Pages: [1]   Go Up