Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OM-D E-M1 Auto Lens Correction?  (Read 1878 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
OM-D E-M1 Auto Lens Correction?
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:46:28 pm »

I'm clear on how the E-M1 applies it's automatic lens corrections to JPGs. But I'm less clear about RAWs.

Is there a good link on what's happening behind the scenes and what is really being done?

For example, does Lightroom use something in the RAW file to apply corrections while C1 has profiles for each body and lens to do it? What about the Mac's system level RAW conversions - are the correction made then?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

AlterEgo

Re: OM-D E-M1 Auto Lens Correction?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:41:03 pm »

I'm clear on how the E-M1 applies it's automatic lens corrections to JPGs. But I'm less clear about RAWs.

Is there a good link on what's happening behind the scenes and what is really being done?

For example, does Lightroom use something in the RAW file to apply corrections while C1 has profiles for each body and lens to do it? What about the Mac's system level RAW conversions - are the correction made then?

both LR/LR and C1 do use information from raw files (in LR/ACR you can't switch that off, not easily at least)... however both converters can use hand created (by developers for example) profiles for some lenses... allegedly those shall be better than what Olympus thinks (and writes in the raw files).

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:53:33 pm »

Micro Four thirds Lenses (Olympus and Panasonic) by design require lens correction to be provided by the software doing the processing of the image files. When you have your camera set to capture jpeg files the required lens correction is done by the Camera Firmware. For raw files the lens correction information is included in the file header of the raw files. Both LR / ACR, Capture One and sone other raw conversion software will apply the lens correction automatically and do not have an option to not apply the correction. This is at the request/ agreement with the camera manufacturer.
The camera design, with the removal of the mirror normally required by DSLR cameras allows for the lens mount to be situated closer to the sensor and allows for smaller and lighter camera bodies and lens. This however comes with some challenges which would require adjustments to the lens physical design. To maximise the physical size of the lens (i.e. minimise size and weight) the camera manufactures have decided to use software technology to adjust the physical distortions of the lens design.
To "wit" the camera manufacturer do not wish you to use the equipment without the necessary adjustments, since the resultant image will not be acceptable.
I have not used other "mirrorless cameras" but I also understand that Sony and Fuji Film also do likewise.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:04:52 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:58:12 pm »

Micro Four thirds Lenses (Olympus and Panasonic) by design require lens correction to be provided by the software doing the processing of the image files.
right, specifically the ones like PL45/2.8Macro or O75/1.8  ;D... aren't they ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up