Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapter for t/s lenses on A7x?  (Read 14243 times)

Herbc

Adapter for t/s lenses on A7x?
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:13:09 am »

As of now, the only lens I know of that does tilt/shift on the A7x cameras is the Samyang 24.  I have heard (?) of an new adapter that would allow Canon and or Nikon t/s lenses to communicate with the A7x?s.  This true?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Adapter for t/s lenses on A7x?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:39 am »

Hi,

Metabones has done that for now four generations... I have one of those at it has some kind of glitch so it works some times and some times not. But, when it works it works well. I have just shot. A couple of dozen inages with it today.

There are some other alternatives, but I am not familiar with those.

Best regards
Erik

As of now, the only lens I know of that does tilt/shift on the A7x cameras is the Samyang 24.  I have heard (?) of an new adapter that would allow Canon and or Nikon t/s lenses to communicate with the A7x?s.  This true?
Erik Kaffehr

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:46:21 pm »

thanks Eric.  As I see on B&H they only make an electronic one for Canon?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:53:34 pm by Herbc »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:07:30 pm »

As Erik said the Metabones for Canon has been out for a long time, and there are plenty of other options now (just search for Canon to Sony adapters on ebay).  You'll need an electronic version to control the aperture.  There have only been manual (dumb) adapters for Nikon to Sony.  2 different versions, one for G lenses to manually control the aperture, one for non-G.  Someone recently showed development tests for one that will do AF.  The Nikon t/s lens is an E lens (electronic) (Edit : 24mm PCE), so aperture control will not work with a dumb adapter.

For t/s lenses you need a flocked adapter to reduce internal reflection (the current version 4(T) of the Metabones includes flocking.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:08:33 am by mcbroomf »

Herbc

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »

Thanks to both of you- I have the canon lens and the adapter on the way.  Thought I would try the photdiox for $99 before the $399 metabones adapter,as I don't need AF and certainly not IBIS for my landscape work.  From what I was able to read from reviews, the Canon 24 ver II is a better lens than the Nikon I just sold.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:14:49 am »

The adapters (so far as I know all of them) have got an iffy reputation so test it carefully when you get it, both electronically, for fit (loose or tight) and for alignment.  I've been lucky with mine and have had no problems except that the non-Metabones are thinner so infinity is much closer on the scale.  The only other thing is that you'll need to flock the adapter (I don't think the Fotodiox has flocking).  You'll see this pretty quickly when you get a light source close to the edge of a scene.  There are old threads on flocking here, including a template for the metabones which might be quite close.  There are also setups to put a spacer and L-plate on the adapter so that the weight of the lens isn't on the camera, assuming you're using a tripod.

cullings

Re: Adapter for t/s lenses on A7x? ** Try Mirex tilt/shift adapter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »

Here's a way to convert a Mamiya MF lens to a shift or tilt/shift lens for A7x using Canon adapter:

http://www.dearsusan.net/2015/01/06/307-tilt-shift-lenses-worth-k-mirex-adapter-review/

The Mirex web site is www.mirex-adapter.de/tilt_shift_adapter.htm.  The web page is in German,
but you can use www.translate.google.com for a pretty good translation. Paste in the Mirex url.

I use the Mirex 352 "shift" adapter with my Mamiya 24 and 35mm lenses. It's 319 Euros.
It has a Canon fitting which I connect to a low cost Canon/Sony-E adapter to my Sony A7.
It works great. Their model 302 is Canon mount "tilt-shift" for 400 Euros.

If you are shopping for a Mamiya 645 lens (or Pentax 645, or Hasselblad) try ebay. The 35mm "non-autofocus"
models are in the $200 range. The autofocus models cost more and MAY NOT have a focus ring??

-John S.

Herbc

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »

Thanks John- I will look into it.  I have a Hartblei 45mm t/s which is very good, but huge for a sony, and it is Pentacon mount, which is probably more work than I have left in me.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 01:57:39 am »

Hi,

HCamDE makes a T&S adapter for the A7 called Master TS (I think). It is based on the Mirex adapter design, but specific to HCam, it gives TS with all lenses.

It essentially offers T&S with a Canon bayonet, and almost any lens can be adapted to the Canon mount. It does not have electronic support for Canon lenses.

I have used my Canon 24/3.5 TSE on the A7rII quite a lot. My Metabones IV is broken, but works some times. I guess I am quite happy with the results.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 06:30:39 pm »

Erik, what's wrong with your Metabones? Planning on getting a A7r2 and one Meta IV-t version sometime this week after I return my Fotodiox. I got no auto-magnification nor AF with any of my EF lenses on a A6000. Not even with my relatively new TS's and 70-200 f4 IS.
Eduardo.

HCamDE makes a T&S adapter for the A7 called Master TS (I think). It is based on the Mirex adapter design, but specific to HCam, it gives TS with all lenses.

It essentially offers T&S with a Canon bayonet, and almost any lens can be adapted to the Canon mount. It does not have electronic support for Canon lenses.

I have used my Canon 24/3.5 TSE on the A7rII quite a lot. My Metabones IV is broken, but works some times. I guess I am quite happy with the results.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 01:03:39 am »

Hi,

It is simply broken. Works for a while and simly stops working. Aperture is not displaying.

I will get another one as soon as possible. I am on travel now, so warranty is not really helpful.

The main problem is that I just got my camera a few days before going on travel, so I had no time to find the problem.

It is not a Metabones problem. Just that mine is broken, can happen to any one with any product.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, what's wrong with your Metabones? Planning on getting a A7r2 and one Meta IV-t version sometime this week after I return my Fotodiox. I got no auto-magnification nor AF with any of my EF lenses on a A6000. Not even with my relatively new TS's and 70-200 f4 IS.
Eduardo.

Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:22:15 am »

Sorry to hear that. If you're going for a second one, it means you were happy with it till it broke.
Thanks
Ed

Hi,

It is simply broken. Works for a while and simly stops working. Aperture is not displaying.

I will get another one as soon as possible. I am on travel now, so warranty is not really helpful.

The main problem is that I just got my camera a few days before going on travel, so I had no time to find the problem.

It is not a Metabones problem. Just that mine is broken, can happen to any one with any product.

Best regards
Erik

Herbc

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 11:27:02 am »

Got the fotodiox and the canon 24 t/s II works well with aperture and data near as I can tell in the camera.  Lens weighs more than the camera, but looks like what I need for field work. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up