Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon announces 120MP SLR, 8K (35Mp) 60fps cine cam.  (Read 28407 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Canon announces 120MP SLR, 8K (35Mp) 60fps cine cam.
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »

The announcement is here. Goodbye MF, I don't think Sony will have time to put out updated MF sensors anymore, they are going to be locked into a full speed race with Canon, where 35mm sensors would be outresolving the last generation MF.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:17:33 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Tony Jay

Re: Canon announces 120MP SLR, 8K (35Mp) 60fps cine cam.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »

Intriguing for sure.
However lets wait and see what really transpires.
Until we know exactly how these new technologies actually perform and what the costs are it is difficult to know exactly what this announcement really means.

Tony Jay

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:15:05 pm »

Considering the DR level of their brand new 50mp body, I fail to see why I should be excited about a 120mp version or why it should be considered a threat to MF solutions or to anything else in fact.

I don't do video, but to my eyes 4K is already very far from being a reality today for 99% of video consumers and full HD is already so incredibly good on a 46 inch plasma TV when done well... that I just don't understand what 8K brings to the table.

The real question, IMHO, is what upcoming real product announcements from their competitors is urging Canon marketing to release such an unprecedented stream of would be future products stories... ;) The a7rII is certainly part of it, but my guess is that there is something else to it...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:09:21 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:33 pm »

Why is it that with ever announcement of the next and greatest in 35mm that the first comment is always how MF is now doomed? If you dislike the format that much simply don't use it.

As for the Cannon announcement - great if you like smaller sensors. 

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:42:48 pm »

Why is it that every time Edmond rattles the cage people react?   Can't they tell when they're being "had"?    ;D

Later,
Johnny

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:49 pm »

Why is it that with ever announcement of the next and greatest in 35mm that the first comment is always how MF is now doomed?  

I love announcements like this because you can then pick up a Hasselblad for less than the price of a Jap 35mm semi-pro/consumer camera. There are other threads here asking why their 50MP looks so crap. I'm sure if they upgrade to 120MP it will be better.

When Apple announce something they say it will be on the shelves in 3 weeks. Let's compare that to .....

"Canon Inc. announced today that it is DEVELOPING a Cinema EOS System 8K camera and professional-use 8K reference display that WILL SUPPORT the production of next-generation 8K video content, along with a still-image single-lens reflex camera equipped with a CMOS sensor featuring approximately 120 million effective pixels."

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:47:40 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »

Why is it that every time Edmond rattles the cage people react?   Can't they tell when they're being "had"?    ;D

Later,
Johnny

Yep, this.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

torger

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 01:58:19 am »

I think the DR of the current Canon 50MP is fine, although not class leading. Actually for my shooting style I prefer 120MP over class-leading DR. My current 50MP CCD is not even class-leading among the CCDs, but what I want more of is foremost megapixels. Remains to be seen when this new Canon appears though, it can be more than a year away.

I would not worry about Sony not having time to make MF sensors, those are just trivial(?) scaleups of their 24x36mm sensor tech anyway.

It's nice to see Canon moving, at last. I'm also excited by their new lens tech (blue spectrum refractive lens element) which allows sharper lenses. All 135 lens manufacturers are moving forward to meet the new high res sensor demands. It shall be interesting to see how far they can reach, especially at the difficult wide end.

And yes this release will probably affect second hand MFD pricing, it was quite clear that the lower end backs dropped a bit when the 50MP Canon was announced. The second hand market seems to be very megapixel-driven, the MFD backs that no longer outresolves the smaller format loses their sexiness (noone seems to care about the lenses), so perhaps we'll see a significant drop of IQ180 and such backs this time around.

Here in Sweden there was a major bump in Hasselblad second hand sales up to 50MP during the spring, very good prices too, but now it has settled, not much out in the market right now. I bought my H4D-50 a bit too early and sold my Aptus a bit too late to make the best use of the situation, but I managed quite okay anyway.

I'm sure we'll see 645 full-frame CMOS "soon", and it will surely be up there at 120MP.

Personally I'm waiting for the next generation MFD CMOS, which I hope will be able to do tech wide angle much better than the current, and hopefully have quite a bit more megapixels. If they can't, my current MFD system is probably the last. I have no problems holding out a few more years though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:01:44 am by torger »

torger

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 02:31:19 am »

In any case I think the recent years pressure on MF companies is good. As long as they don't break from it it's only positive. We can already see more attractive prices in the entry level range. Even Leica lowered their prices. Of course there's a risk that they end up with industrial/institutional as the only professional niche and then luxury consumers, but I don't think we're close to there yet.

I hope for a situation where prices are more normalized, like they were in the film days. And I think it's moving in that direction. High res 135 is becoming quite expensive, due to the new more complex lenses, and MFD is becoming cheaper by reducing the super-high margins.

Gel

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:17 am »

I'll admit, the first thing I thought when I saw the develop release was how it will affect the commercial / fashion photography market and the subsequent suppliers of cams to it.

I mean 120mp, hoo-ey that's a lot of pixels.

Bo Dez

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:00 am »

Personally I think it's a stupid announcement. all it says is we're working on something better, which every company is. There is no time frame, no information other than a premise. All it says to me is don't leave us for Sony, we'll try and get our act together.

Given the questionable quality (IMO) of the 5DS, I can't see how 120MP of slush and noise will be warranted or corrected. Of corse, I would love to be surprised.

In any case, I don't believe that Phase has been resting on laurels. They have just had no reason to launch anything bigger than 80MP.

What this does show is the impact that Sony has had on the industry. Wether you like the a7 cameras or not, there is no denying that sony's innovation has bought welcomed growth.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:27:36 am »

Wow! A 120 MP sensor; I must buy one, 'cos I always want to print those 150"x50" images. Anything smaller is just too small.

If it means someone is going to sell-off their MF kit nice & cheap, then who am I to complain?

torger

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:54:11 am »

Personally I think it's a stupid announcement. all it says is we're working on something better, which every company is. There is no time frame, no information other than a premise. All it says to me is don't leave us for Sony, we'll try and get our act together

"In development" announcements have started to become a standard in the industry. I think the reason is partly because it's becoming harder to keep things secret, and rather than having rumors going and problem with leaks they "leak" it themselves well ahead. If I would guess Sony/Canon/Nikon etc knows pretty well what the other company is doing, much more than the public does.

Probably customer churn has increased too compared to 5-10 years ago, and maybe these type of announcements help reducing that?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:56:29 am by torger »

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 06:59:38 am »

A very intriguing announcement, indeed.

My first question would be how all those skinny pixels will render.  Seems to be a march away from the fax pixel magic that served MFD so well, for so long.  We shall see.

In any case, I wish Canon (and Sony and Nikon) well.  It's clear that it's 35mm digital tech that subsequently trickles 'up' to MFD.  Even as a new and very happy entrant in the MFD arena (just bought a CFV-50c), I'm happy to see those advances.  Let the chips fall where they may.  

I do find it interesting that Canon chose to make this announcement apparently well in advance of any kind of shipping product.  Normally you'd only reveal your hand like that to keep customers from going to a competing product.  

eronald

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 07:02:24 am »

The other announcement is a print system that can do texture as well as color. That's cute.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 07:12:52 am »

I do find it interesting that Canon chose to make this announcement apparently well in advance of any kind of shipping product.  Normally you'd only reveal your hand like that to keep customers from going to a competing product.  

Canon has been announcing outlandish sensors for a long time now.
Very few have made it to a shipping product.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 07:13:14 am »

"In development" announcements have started to become a standard in the industry. I think the reason is partly because it's becoming harder to keep things secret, and rather than having rumors going and problem with leaks they "leak" it themselves well ahead.

Development announcement are IMHO only a standard among companies that have no actual products to ship.

The real trend among successful companies in consumer electronics is the exact opposite and it is to shorten to zero the lead time between announcement and product availability.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:15:47 am by BernardLanguillier »

torger

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 07:13:49 am »

Pixel pitch would be about 2.7um. A Sony RX-100 III has 2.4um, so I guess the pixel peep quality will be about what you get from such a camera, but probably with a bit less DR as it's Canon.

eronald

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:45 am »

Development announcement are only a standard among companies that have no actual products to ship.

The real trend among successful companies in consumer electronics is the exact opposite and it is to shorten to zero the lead time between announcement and product availability.

Cheers,
Bernard

They are called "preannouncements", and IBM did so much damage with them that they got hit with an antitrust suit, which they lost. They create "FUD".
As for "trends", in the semiconductor market the trick has always been to announce, ship samples and wait for the yield to rise so you can make a profit; this is what Apple has been doing for years.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:18:04 am by eronald »

torger

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:41 am »

Canon has been announcing outlandish sensors for a long time now.
Very few have made it to a shipping product.

They do a lot of concept stuff too yes, like the 250MP APS-H, and they do speciality stuff like sensors ending up in telescopes, all those things result in press releases. But this is an announcement for an EOS product, so it's different. They've made in development announcements several times before, and they eventually come out, but it can take a lot of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up