Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: storm clouds  (Read 24142 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
storm clouds
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:55:42 pm »

Comments?

Jeremy

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
Re: storm clouds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:26:34 pm »

I do not understand why images here are always so small...

Jeremy, isn't your photograph lacking a bit of contrast ?
May I suggest more contrast and a tad - just a tad - vignetting.
If you use LR try Clarity. It returns great results enhancing detail and contrasting.
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:03:53 pm »

This has great potential, Jeremy.
I think Antonio's suggestions might make it even more dramatic.

Somehow I don't think this is your typical English countryside.   ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:40 am »

I do not understand why images here are always so small...

Antonio, there are two ways of posting photos here. One (which you use in your lovely bakery series) is to use img tags to link to images on an external site. The other, which I use, is to upload images to this site; they then appear as thumbnails, which enlarge if you click on them.

Jeremy, isn't your photograph lacking a bit of contrast ?
May I suggest more contrast and a tad - just a tad - vignetting.
If you use LR try Clarity. It returns great results enhancing detail and contrasting.

I'll look into increasing the contrast; it already has a fair bit of Clarity and some vignetting added. Not enough, perhaps.

Eric, you're astonishingly perceptive!

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:01:26 am »

I am a fan of contrasty images and usually suggest adding some contrast when I critique an image. However I don't see how Jeremy could add any more without spoiling the image. As to vignetting it usually only works with a central focal point. The dark areas at the bottom would become even darker which would spoil the image. This is a fine, well processed image, that imo doesn't need anything more added to it.

Antonio Correia

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:11:08 am »

I do not know if it is possible but I would like to work on the original raw file and post it here in black and white.

Jeremy, if you agree I will be happy to recreate the black and white image and post it here.

I think you can send me the raw file in private, can't you ?

I will show you my final result :)

Thank you. :)
António Correia

francois

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:31:19 am »

I love the dramatic sky… fantastic, really. I must say that I like this photo as it is but adding contrast on the buttes wouldn't hurt.

Well done.
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:38:51 am »

...This is a fine, well processed image, that imo doesn't need anything more added to it...

+1. I like it as is: powerful yet not over-the-top.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 12:08:57 pm »

I do not know if it is possible but I would like to work on the original raw file and post it here in black and white.

Jeremy, if you agree I will be happy to recreate the black and white image and post it here.

I think you can send me the raw file in private, can't you ?

I will show you my final result :)

Thank you. :)
Jeremy,

I suggest you take Antonio up on his offer, but make him promise to tell you exactly the steps he takes in processing. I expect the result will be excellent and we could all learn from his notes.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 04:21:46 pm »

Jeremy,

I suggest you take Antonio up on his offer, but make him promise to tell you exactly the steps he takes in processing. I expect the result will be excellent and we could all learn from his notes.

Absolutely. I've sent him a PM with the link and asked him to detail the steps he takes. I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

Jeremy

Antonio Correia

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 05:22:29 pm »

Got it. Please wait for tomorrow  :)
António Correia

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:12:54 pm »

Antonio's B&W photographs on his web are excellent. One reason -- I'm tempted to say the main reason -- is that he's careful to have the light right when he makes the shot. This comes across in his portraits especially. As far as post-processing is concerned, it would be awfully hard to beat the tweaks you can do with Silver Efex Pro.

I think you did what was possible, Jeremy, and it's quite good. I pulled the picture down and checked it in Photoshop with curves. It's possible to pull the lows down a tad and pull the highs up a tad, but I'm looking at a .jpeg, so the original raw file may permit even more improvement. You could grab the mid-tones and separate them, but if you do much of that you're going to kill the thing. I know there are photographers who, instead of grayscale seem to want black and white. Stamper tends to take his grayscale almost to that point and it's what he wants, though I don't necessarily agree it's the best result.

I'm as eager as you are to see what Antonio can do to improve on Silver Efex. His work certainly shows he knows what he's doing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Antonio Correia

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »

Guys... thank you for challenging me for this job !  ::)
This is what I have for you at this very moment. I do not have practice with videos. However, I am preparing one for you.
This has been done in LR and Nik software.
Hope you like it. Perhaps some more improvements could be done. I have made the photograph as one of my owns.

I hope to be able to make or try to make, the same thing just using LR. Later.
Ah ! Another aspect I consider specially important: presentation ! As this forum has white background, I have made a thin black canvas to enhance the image.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:22:20 pm by Antonio Correia »
António Correia

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 01:41:40 am »

Jeremy's original treatment is beautiful.

stamper

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 03:36:49 am »

Antonio's version is "different" but not "better" imo. We seem to forget that Jeremy had a "vision" for his image that he posted and asked if anyone liked it. In other threads I have read members stating that what another member did with regards to processing was "wrong". Unless there were glaring technical deficiencies then there isn't a "right" way and a "wrong" way, only a "different" way. As Russ points out I like to have in my B&W images a good black point and a good white point, most of the time. I have been taken to task for having a liking for contrasty images which I will continue to do with no apology.  :)

Antonio Correia

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 06:28:40 am »

Antonio's version is "different" but not "better" imo. We seem to forget that Jeremy had a "vision" for his image that he posted and asked if anyone liked it. In other threads I have read members stating that what another member did with regards to processing was "wrong". Unless there were glaring technical deficiencies then there isn't a "right" way and a "wrong" way, only a "different" way. As Russ points out I like to have in my B&W images a good black point and a good white point, most of the time. I have been taken to task for having a liking for contrasty images which I will continue to do with no apology.  :)

Peter good morning.
I quite agree with you. I just showed my version of the photograph.
I have suggested to Jeremy and he agreed that I could show my version.
Jeremy, if you agree I will be happy to recreate the black and white image and post it here...
I have done a video with all the steps but it is not yet uploaded what I will do as soon as I end this post.

I think - I may be wrong - that to see different versions from different persons of a photograph can be rewarding because it gives us different views and perspectives to our future work.
I have myself learned a lot looking at other's work and - specially - looking at magazines. But not those with lots of commercial publicity but to those which innovate and create new visions.

Thank you for your attention ! :)
-
Jeremy's original treatment is beautiful.

Thank you Rajan ! I think it is also a good treatment but I like best mine !!  ;D :D
António Correia

Antonio Correia

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 07:19:11 am »

António Correia

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 07:49:01 am »

AC there are a number of nice things about your version...although the very dark diagonal band/center vertical band of clouds starting from upper right are so intense/harsh to the point that they distract from the center "monuments" and start to become a story in and of themselves.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Antonio Correia

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 08:59:52 am »

AC there are a number of nice things about your version...although the very dark diagonal band/center vertical band of clouds starting from upper right are so intense/harsh to the point that they distract from the center "monuments" and start to become a story in and of themselves.

Yes Brandt, but the image is about a storm is it not ?  :)
António Correia

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 11:15:13 am »

I agree with everything you said, Robert. You're perfectly entitled to present your excellent photographs any way you want to, and I hope you're not including me in the group of those taking you to task. In my own stuff I also want a solid black point and a solid white point. It's the mid-tones where we disagree, but I sometimes disagree with the masters, even with HCB.

I think the difference in presentation of Jeremy's fine photograph is that in Antonio's version the storm is upon us and it's affecting the light on the mesas. In Jeremy's version, the storm is only threatening. Jeremy's version is subtle. Antonio's version clobbers you. I like Jeremy's version better, but it's a personal choice.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up