Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Hot Press Bright  (Read 1593 times)

r010159

Epson Hot Press Bright
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:52:00 pm »

What are the Epson "Hot Press" and "Cold Press" papers about? I understand that they have a wider gamut compared to their other papers.  "Hot" or "Cold"? What does this mean? As an aside, this will cost me to make a profile for this paper. But if it is an exceptional paper, it may be worth it.

Bob

Rand47

Re: Epson Hot Press Bright
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »

Hot press bright has a smooth and texture-less surface. 
Cold press has a distinctive texture.

Epson's profiles are actually pretty good, though a custom profile would be optimal.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:15:58 pm »

You can order a sample pack of the Epson "Signature Worthy" papers, which includes 2 sheets each of the Hot Press Bright & Natural and Cold Press Bright & Natural (Bright has OBAs, while Natural doesn't), along with Exhibition Fiber and Ultra Premium Luster.  That is a low cost way of determining whether you like the texture & color of those papers.

-Scott

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:31 am »

Think "hot press" as in ironing a shirt - resulting in a smooth texture.  Cold press is your wrinkled shirt.

I love Hot Press Natural.  Excellent blacks.  It's my go-to matte paper.

I like Hot Press Bright, as well, but because of its use of OBA's I tend to use it sparingly.

The Cold Press papers are nice, except that the texture is a bit too consistent for my taste.  I prefer the more random textures one see's with mould-made papers.  That said, Cold Press Natural is a pretty decent proofing paper upstream of the much more expensive Awagami Washi papers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:14:34 am by Jager »

howardm

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:10 am »

I'd like them to make a 'not so Bright'.  I find the Bright too bright and Natural too off-white.

David Good

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »

I love Hot Press Natural.  Excellent blacks.  It's my go-to matte paper.

+1

And although just a matte paper, it really displays well under glass. No need for a custom profile as Epson's are quite good (depends on which printer you have though).

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »

I'd like them to make a 'not so Bright'.  I find the Bright too bright and Natural too off-white.

I don't use matte papers very often, but I use the Hot Press Natural specifically when I want a nice warm white point. It can also be nice for black and white work that would otherwise be too stark. It gives images a more mellow feel, for lack of a better word. I haven't used Hot Press Bright. I often instead end up using a baryta paper like Ilford GFS, or once in a blue moon Canson Platine, though the Platine surface has too much texture for me most of the time.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up