Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro Advice?  (Read 4326 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Capture One Pro Advice?
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:34:13 am »

How are Capture One Pro users, especially those having to move from Aperture to C1, working with C1?

I find several things frustrating about it that I haven't found good ways to handle and could use some advice:

Keywords - I don't use a huge amount, but do use some. They seem particularly hard to apply and manage.
Printing - I just haven't figured out any way to reliably set up presets for my various papers and sizes.
Spot Removal - In v7, spot removal over even slightly complicated backgrounds does a poor job - the results are too easily seen.

There must be better ways.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

mgrayson

Re: Capture One Pro Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:00:39 am »

Bob,

I don't have specific answers, but have two relevant observations. First, version 8 is (imho) much better and more stable than version 7. Second, the short video tutorials and online reference material are mandatory. This is particularly true for printing, which works (again, imho) terribly unless you follow the recipes exactly.

Don't get me wrong - I think C1 v8 is the best thing out there, and all my photos get loaded into it first. Usually as Sessions, then archived into a Catalog. Catalogs had a rough time in earlier versions, and I'm still not relying on them solely, but I've had zero problems with them in version 8, so I might move everything there, as I did with Aperture.

Best,

Matt

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:37:32 am »

I believe Printing is not a great strength of C1.  I use LR for printing.  The LR print module is now s bit dated but does a good job on a single print or multiple prints on a single page workflow.  I print with Epson and I don't want the printer driver making the uprez to 360dpi as Epson used the worst possible algorithm nearest neighbor. LR or Qimage are excellent cost affordable printing solutions. Qimage is PC only so you would need parallels or similar software. 

I still only use session mode for C1.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:35 am »

I believe Printing is not a great strength of C1.  I use LR for printing.

This is doubly sad. I'd like to get away from Lightroom. :(
Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:46:55 am »

This is particularly true for printing, which works (again, imho) terribly unless you follow the recipes exactly.

I'm looking for the printing tutorial. Can you post a link?
Bob Rockefeller

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:13 am »

Keywords - I don't use a huge amount, but do use some. They seem particularly hard to apply and manage.

Hi Bob,

Maybe this will help. There are topics on "Editing Metadata and Keywords", and "Repairing and Spotting Images".

Printing - I just haven't figured out any way to reliably set up presets for my various papers and sizes.

The printing functionality can use some more work IMHO, so I don't use it. But if you insist on doing it from one and the same application, check out the recorded webinars and tutorials, on the PhaseOne website or on YouTube (e.g. here).

Spot Removal - In v7, spot removal over even slightly complicated backgrounds does a poor job - the results are too easily seen.

Things have improved a lot since version C1 Version 8 was released, I don't even remember if Layer adjustments were available in V7, otherwise try that. The Layered Cloning and Healing capabilities are pretty useful. I wouldn't try doing such adjustments with the regular spot removal tool, that older method just does not offer enough control for more that a few spots in the sky or on skin. Being able to now mask-in/target specific portions of the image, with varying opacity, and more control over what the source is, on which the cloning/healing is based, makes a big difference, and different corrections can be layered (with different transparency if you like).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:28 am »

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:26:13 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:27:10 pm »

There may be a day I have to move from Aperture, but it hasn't happened yet, thankfully.
The features that you wish for are far better in Aperture than anything I have seen.
Tried C1 and used it when I had a Phase back. I prefer it over Lightroom, but has failed to excite me. It may be the way I eventually go but the catalogue does not seem solid yet.
It also seems useless with Hasselblad.
I print from Mirage and recommend that.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:41:24 pm »

I print from Mirage and recommend that.

I assume that's Windows only? I use a
Mac.
Bob Rockefeller

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:13 am »

I assume that's Windows only? I use a
Mac.

No sir. Mirage works on a Mac. And I second the recommendation.
They have a trial version, though very short. I believe it has full functionality without water marks and such.
Try it, I think you will like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up