Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus M.Zuiko Premium Lenses - Plastic?  (Read 3804 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Olympus M.Zuiko Premium Lenses - Plastic?
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:57:01 am »

The Fujinon primes I have handled have all been metal and very well built. I understand that the M.Zuiko metal primes (not just metal mounts) are just as well built.

How about the plastic primes? I'm especially wondering about the 45mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

scooby70

Re: Olympus M.Zuiko Premium Lenses - Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:10:16 am »

I have both of those lenses and I'm very happy with them.

They don't have the metal build of some other lenses but even so mine haven't fallen apart and I think the build is just fine if you look after them, and I wouldn't want to drop a metal lens any more than I would a plastic one.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:14:04 am »

I have both of those lenses and I'm very happy with them.

They don't have the metal build of some other lenses but even so mine haven't fallen apart and I think the build is just fine if you look after them, and I wouldn't want to drop a metal lens any more than I would a plastic one.

:) Yes - don't drop your lenses!

I've read that the image quality of the 75mm f1.8 is especially good, so that is not likely a problem. There's something about the feel of a metal barrel lens, though. It's good to hear that you are satisfied with them.

I wonder why Olympus chose metal for some and plastic for others? Especially if the all carry the "premium" tag.
Bob Rockefeller

scooby70

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:09 am »

I don't know how they choose metal or plastic but maybe cost is a part of it and maybe weight is a part of it too as some of the camera bodies are relatively small and light.

I also have the metal bodied 17mm f1.8 and although it's more expensive and maybe heavier than the 25 and 45mm lenses it's not too expensive or too heavy IMVHO.

On the image quality side I'm happy with them all.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:06:41 am »

I also have the metal bodied 17mm f1.8 and although it's more expensive and maybe heavier than the 25 and 45mm lenses it's not too expensive or too heavy IMVHO.

That's just where my reading as lead me - the price of the 17mm seems "good" for an all metal lens. Too bad the 45mm f1.8 isn't metal. Oh, well.
Bob Rockefeller

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 11:04:02 am »

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the term "plastic." In the past, it is true, plastic was a cheaper and inferior alternative to metal. Bur now we have vast advances in the science of plastics, and plastics of various kinds are used in things such as aircraft, cars, spacecraft, and so on. Having "plastic" in a lens is no longer a mark of inferior quality.

Tremon

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:53 am »

The Fujinon primes I have handled have all been metal and very well built. I understand that the M.Zuiko metal primes (not just metal mounts) are just as well built.

How about the plastic primes? I'm especially wondering about the 45mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8.

The 12mm f2 metal have a very solid feel to it which surpasses my 45. Especially evident when it comes to how careful I am when using the filter threads. Much less careful with the 12mm. No real practical difference though.

The focusing ring however is a  different story. Its ring form sort of collapses into an ovval if my fingers are cramped and I apply too much pressure when focusing. That said, I haven't missed a single shot necause of this. It just bugs me, that's all. Feels cheap.

I'd buy the lens again if needed.

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:46:34 pm »

I've read that the image quality of the 75mm f1.8 is especially good, so that is not likely a problem. There's something about the feel of a metal barrel lens, though.

To note: the Oly 75/1.8 is a metal-barreled lens. But I assume you mean the 45/1.8… The latter is a little gem IMO, though for flattering portrait use it can be too sharp & revealing.

-Dave-

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »

To note: the Oly 75/1.8 is a metal-barreled lens. But I assume you mean the 45/1.8… The latter is a little gem IMO, though for flattering portrait use it can be too sharp & revealing.

You're right! I meant the 45mm f1.8. I've read that's a great lens, optically.
Bob Rockefeller

SZRitter

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:45 am »

I had one of the 45mm lenses. Optically, I would say it is a bargain for the price you can get them used. A very nice lens indeed. And the plastic didn't feel cheap, it felt solid and well built.

It's on the short list to buy another one (I had a "tester" phase with m43, then stuck with Nikon, then back to m43).

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:44 am »

The 45 f/1.8 is an excellent lens.  The 25 f/1.8 is a fine lens too. I've yet to use an Oly premium lens that has been a disappointment.

AlterEgo

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:54 am »

when I had m43 cameras I used 45/1.8 and I did not have any issues with a plastic body (metal mount)... the lens is very very lightweight, so can't see any practical gains from metal body there - it is not like FF 200-500/2.8 that might show some barrel flex or so ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up