Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry Mount with Heat - will it damage print?  (Read 13759 times)

ThirstyDursty

Dry Mount with Heat - will it damage print?
« on: September 06, 2015, 06:30:59 pm »

Looking at options for mounting on Gatorboard some panoramic

I'm not going to frame, as cost would bankrupt me. Although I have it all costed for sales.

So I came up with plan to

- mount on Gatorboard
- varnish
- edge with a canvas float mount frame.

I've looked at a few options
1) buy Gatorboard and pressure activated adhesive and try myself (high risk as I'm ignorant and unskilled at this process
2) some local framers gave quotes (expensive)
3) the local wholesaler of Gatorboard to framers also mounts. And their price is appealing.

Issue...they said they use a heat process that gets to about 70c

Will this damage my prints? Chanson Baryta paper, Epson P800 printer.

They said to varnish after mounting as heat will mess it up.

Any advice or opinions?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Dry Mount with Heat - will it damage print?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

Heat will not hurt the print. At least hasn't hurt mine.

For Canson I use 185 F. Platine and Baryta.

I use Bienfang rag mount for my mounting.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »

Heat will not hurt the print. At least hasn't hurt mine.

For Canson I use 185 F. Platine and Baryta.

I use Bienfang rag mount for my mounting.

Paul

Thanks for the reply. Do you varnish before or after? Or at all? These won't be glazed.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:26:03 pm »

For paper prints I don't varnish. I dry mount then mount with glass. Mat and glass.

But for sure don't varnish before you dry mount as the heat more than likely would re-activate the varnish.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:28:45 pm »

Why don't you just hing/T mount them?

snowrs

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:23:03 pm »

I have dry mounted inkjet both dye based and pigmented prints on gatorfoam for years and have never seen any ill effects yet.  However, I never mount at temperatures above 190 degrees.  I would assume your guy would use the mounting tissues designed for the low temp mounting.

bob snow

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:52:59 pm »

You can always hinge mount.  With 100% cotton rag papers, if you have a humid climate, the print will not stay down and will ripple over time.  At least from my experience.  Matte papers are better for the hinge mounting, glossy are more prone to show the ripples.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:14 am »

Just in case you don't already know, Gatorboard is not acid free or archival.  Dry mounting with low temperature tissue will be OK.
- Dean

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:21:32 am »

Just in case you don't already know, Gatorboard is not acid free or archival.  Dry mounting with low temperature tissue will be OK.

For this purpose, I'm not too worried about that. 31 days in a gallery.

However, the on sales I'm worried about...I've priced traditional framing and have print prices.

All that said...if I could make a better choice..I would.

Looking for an option without frame and glazing.

Panos are 1-1.8m and 40 cm tall.

I just couldn't justify framing and glazing them.

Do you have a suggestion?

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:54 am »

If you are selling artwork for under $1,000, I wouldn't hesitate to dry mount onto gator board and use flat black metal frames (glazing not necessary). If someone inquires about longevity, offer to sell the print unmounted/unframed. Metal frames are inexpensive and you can assemble them yourself. Most people who buy art priced under a few thousand dollars are interested in how well a piece will fit above the couch or decorate a wall. I wouldn't hesitate to print onto a satin finish PK paper such as Epson Ultra Premium Luster. The wider color gamut along with deeper blacks will work to your advantage.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:43:54 am by BobDavid »

Herbc

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:45:20 am »

Next time out you might try canvas.  I have seen public places, i.e. restaurants and offices, etc that have pretty decent prints that are simply canvas on a stretcher frame.
I approached a Museum gallery that I have some stuff in and they were not thrilled with the idea, but they are art snobs.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:20:28 pm »

Next time out you might try canvas.  I have seen public places, i.e. restaurants and offices, etc that have pretty decent prints that are simply canvas on a stretcher frame.
I approached a Museum gallery that I have some stuff in and they were not thrilled with the idea, but they are art snobs.

Not a fan of canvas. I totally get what your saying, and maybe I'll come around...but I feel like a snob about it.

The texture just seems too course. I much prefer the look of a Baryta paper or the very fine texture mat papers

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 06:37:38 pm »

If you are selling artwork for under $1,000, I wouldn't hesitate to dry mount onto gator board and use flat black metal frames (glazing not necessary). If someone inquires about longevity, offer to sell the print unmounted/unframed. Metal frames are inexpensive and you can assemble them yourself. Most people who buy art priced under a few thousand dollars are interested in how well a piece will fit above the couch or decorate a wall. I wouldn't hesitate to print onto a satin finish PK paper such as Epson Ultra Premium Luster. The wider color gamut along with deeper blacks will work to your advantage.

Yes. Under $1000

I am selling prints of the panoramas for ~$300-400
Currently I'm pricing my unframed prints
 at
A2 $200
A3 $75
A4 $45

As I print myself this seems to be fine.

Selling them framed adds a few buck, but hassle too. An A3 in a basic black or white wood frame for $220 and A2 for $350

They are selling well. So am thinking of raising the prices. Thinking of going to limited edition prints and raising the price x% each sale.

While I'm enjoying this...it is taking away from capturing photos and planning/thinking about creative ideas.

jferrari

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:40 pm »

Not a fan of canvas. I totally get what your saying, and maybe I'll come around...but I feel like a snob about it.

The texture just seems too course. I much prefer the look of a Baryta paper or the very fine texture mat papers

Sarcasm - Too bad there have not been any important or expensive paintings done on canvas, just too course.
Nothing changes until something changes.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 08:41:52 am »

Inkjet canvas can produce excellent fine details.  And for larger prints, it can be a very cost effective way to see your work on a wall. 

Gallery wrap, or mounted.  When I produce a really large print, I always move towards a canvas solution.

The framing costs add up very fast when trying to frame a 24 x 60, or 40 x 60 sized print. 

I have standardized on Breathing Color's canvas, both matte and glossy.  Excellent fine details.

Epson 9900. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:51 am »

Inkjet canvas can produce excellent fine details.  And for larger prints, it can be a very cost effective way to see your work on a wall. 

Gallery wrap, or mounted.  When I produce a really large print, I always move towards a canvas solution.

The framing costs add up very fast when trying to frame a 24 x 60, or 40 x 60 sized print. 

I have standardized on Breathing Color's canvas, both matte and glossy.  Excellent fine details.

Epson 9900. 

Paul

cost always seems the driving factor.

But maybe I should get a roll and see how I feel. Rather then be an armchair opinion.

I see you can even get canvas for watercolor painting now...what has the world come too!

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 01:10:17 pm »

Do you have a suggestion?

Not one that fits all of the requirements. Custom framing is expensive and doing all of that yourself is a huge undertaking in terms of equipment and learning curve along with everything else you're doing. You say "While I'm enjoying this...it is taking away from capturing photos and planning/thinking about creative ideas". Based on experience that problem will only get worse. The obvious and simple fact is that the more things you do the less time you have for each.

I'm used to situations where a gallery sells what they have on display. Once in a long while they may change a frame or a mat, or we might get a request to make a larger or smaller version of a certain print, but prints usually sell as-is straight off the wall. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you will display prints with a varnished finish that are framed with no mat or glass, and these prints are only for display and not for sale. Oddly or not, I've never seen that situation. The mounting material wouldn't matter but I'd still be concerned about displaying anything that is visually different, or on different media, than what people will purchase.

Then there's your preferences. Like you I happen to prefer prints on smooth surfaced baryta paper or smooth surfaced (hot press) matte finished papers, and those papers are the only media I use. There's nothing wrong with cold press paper, metal, canvas, or any other media, but I'd rather use those papers. IMO signing and selling a print means it's 100% as you'd like it for yourself. I'd advise making what you are most happy making, and with a little luck the rest will follow.

Whatever you do, best of luck with it.
- Dean

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:39 pm »

Not one that fits all of the requirements. Custom framing is expensive and doing all of that yourself is a huge undertaking in terms of equipment and learning curve along with everything else you're doing. You say "While I'm enjoying this...it is taking away from capturing photos and planning/thinking about creative ideas". Based on experience that problem will only get worse. The obvious and simple fact is that the more things you do the less time you have for each.

I'm used to situations where a gallery sells what they have on display. Once in a long while they may change a frame or a mat, or we might get a request to make a larger or smaller version of a certain print, but prints usually sell as-is straight off the wall. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you will display prints with a varnished finish that are framed with no mat or glass, and these prints are only for display and not for sale. Oddly or not, I've never seen that situation. The mounting material wouldn't matter but I'd still be concerned about displaying anything that is visually different, or on different media, than what people will purchase.

Then there's your preferences. Like you I happen to prefer prints on smooth surfaced baryta paper or smooth surfaced (hot press) matte finished papers, and those papers are the only media I use. There's nothing wrong with cold press paper, metal, canvas, or any other media, but I'd rather use those papers. IMO signing and selling a print means it's 100% as you'd like it for yourself. I'd advise making what you are most happy making, and with a little luck the rest will follow.

Whatever you do, best of luck with it.

Thanks...prints on wall will be for sale as is...but I expect to mostly sell prints. And if I do sell mounted/framed prints...I'll outsource those parts.

Regardless, I've sorted this for this occasion. Just had a wholesaler mount the prints. And I'll frame them in a canvas floater...and varnish the print. I'll offer this and a bare print for purchase...or contact, discuss and quote for other desires. I'll also be offering bare prints at 1/2 size.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 06:09:30 am »

F'me

The latest part of the saga!

Prints got dry mounted today.

Get home to inspect work

- rough edge trim. Not perfectly lined up with edge, so some white showing and inconsistent.
- under the right angle of light...scratched to crap. Almost looks like sandpaper or angle grinder (swirls) not visible from straight on, but if you look and move around it...it is obvious.

Phoned...guy was nice but not helpful.

Said that they change the blade...but guy had noticed the ink flaking. Didn't know about the scratches...suggested I apply the varnish and see how they turn out.

I'm pissed as 1) there is no way I can frame them in a canvas float frame...edge looks too sh!t

And scratches...can't put that up

Someone said they should be reimbursing me the print cost too. Fair bit of paper, ink and time.

No sure what I'm going to do...but I can't use these.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:40 am »

Sorry to hear of your woes, TD.  Alas, that's the kind of thing that prompts me to do everything print-related myself, outside of very conventional matting and framing.  I do intend to explore dry mounting at some point, but have yet to invest in the Seal Dry Mount Press which is on my wish list.

Good luck in sorting out your next steps.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up