Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP. problems with the smart remote control app and A7rii  (Read 5849 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
HELP. problems with the smart remote control app and A7rii
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »

Hi all.
I got the Sony A7rii. Very happy with it so far.
I tend to use the smart remote app lot on my architectural work. Great for setting up shots with the live view while walking around in the scene and eliminating the need to tweak things and run back to the camera all the time .Great for positioning and tweaking flashes etc.
I'm having a few issues with the smart remote app on the A7rii which are not appearing with the A7r. However a slightly separate bug appeared on the A7r and I've been using a workaround hoping the bug would get ironed out with an update.
On the A7r
I review and/or save save the images on my iPad. Normally I review an original initially to ensure the focus is spot on. (Even better than the evf for my eyes anyway but only suitable indoors or in low light). Some time ago however the full size image is not really the full size image in the app it self. It is still the 2meg version. This means once you zoom in the image becomes very soft and is useless for checking focus. The work around is to make sure the save option is turned on, on the iPad. I than go go photos where it is appearing as a full size image. Great on the retina screens for really making sure composition and focus are perfect. It was a bit of a pain to have to go into photos and than once your back in the smart remote app the captured image has disappeared. If I'm happy with the focus and I proceed with the final image I change the save/review image size to 2megs so that saving to the iPad is a lot quicker. It's really great for architectural work. It's all free and works pretty much as good as a camranger.

However on the A7rii
I can review and/or save save the images on my iPad but only the 2meg version. When set to the original (full size) option it doesn't appear in the app and it is not saved to photos. The screen just goes black and than reruns to live view. Is anyone else having the same problems. Could some users maybe test it on the app to see if the have the same issues. Would be good to know if it's a universal issue before I contact Sony.

Separate from it I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that bracketing can't be controlled from the the smart remote app. Also why can't bulb be operated from the iPad. If it can be done on cheap remote trigger than surely it can be done on the app. Frustrating for users like me who like to stay with as low an iso as possible in dark conditions.

Cheers
Enda

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Re: HELP. problems with the smart remote control app and A7rii
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 04:24:28 am »

I've just looked at the Sony play memories App Store and it says support is coming soon for A7RII, so I guess the current version has known bugs. Those files are very large so they probably have to revisit their file transfer code to get this to work.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 03:24:19 am »

Sony make a software development kit called 'camera remote'

So I got all excited. Perhaps I could write my own iPhone app that replaced the basic Sony app.

Unfortunately this SDK does not permit the developer to transfer images from the A7RII to the mobile device, so that scuppers it. The transfer image function is only available for some compact and lens type cameras such as the QX10, QX1 etc.

That means you'll have to wait until Sony release a compatible version of their own app.

My biggest desire was to find a way of saving the additional custom setups persistently on a mobile device as currently M1-M4 are stored on the memory card and deleted when the card is formatted!  Brain dead concept.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:27:56 pm »

I've just looked at the Sony play memories App Store and it says support is coming soon for A7RII, so I guess the current version has known bugs. Those files are very large so they probably have to revisit their file transfer code to get this to work.

Yes it's a bug alright. The files are not that much bigger than the A7r. I can't see file size been the issue. Has anyone else had this issue? It was up to now a great app in certain situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up