Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO One review  (Read 24754 times)

OldRoy

• http://
DxO One review
« on: September 04, 2015, 05:28:30 am »

Now I eschew all Apple products so this is of no direct interest to me whatsoever, however...

Before I'd read much more than the headline and looked at the pic, my immediate thought was "How does this thing attach securely to the phone?" Then I read on. As I anticipated, it doesn't.

Another minor shortcoming which I immediately foresaw is that when held firmly (two hands required - just like a hulking DSLR) the fingers will surely obscure the lens. The reviewer goes on to list additional  - and in the main entirely predictable - poor design characteristics.

Sometimes I'm quite convinced that there are two possible explanations for this sort of nonsensical oversight.
a) It's deliberate, leaving the door open for the MK2, MK 3... (which will all exhibit their own, intentional, shortcomings.)
b) Manufacturers never bother to test this stuff, leaving that to the punters (a category which may include reviewers)

There's a third component too. The frenzy that usually accompanies the introduction of new consumer hardware serves to obscure even the poorest design or most outrageous pricing.

AllMankind

Re: DxO One review
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:18 pm »

ALL of the dxo one issues are solved by buying a Panasonic CM1 instead.

You get a top notch Android 5 phone with an integrated camera.  The CM1 has a 20MP 1" sensor and shoots RAW.  Plus the phone has a slider switch which instantly activates the camera, even if the phone is locked and sleeping.  It also has a real 2 stage shutter release button.

The Panasonic CM1 is a far far better option than the dxo/iphone combination and without all the handling issues.

Below you can see the Panasonic CM1 withe the Cotto lens hood, case and wrist strap.

Also, in the second photo, you can see the 2 stage shutter release just above the Lumix name and to the right the camera activator slider.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:45:56 am by AllMankind »

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »

Yeah, I don't quite get the DxO thing either.  Sony has their DSC-QX100 Lens-Style Camera with a one inch sensor for less money with a "real zoom lens" which seems a better deal as it links (wirelessly?) to the smartphone as a clip-on camera.  DxO also is trying to come up with their own bizarre DXO (SmartRAW) file too even though it does do DNG and they don't support DNG off other phones either with their DxO Pro 10 software...yet.

I was out today and trying to use the smartphone's LCD screen in the sunlight and trying to manually focus it is a PITA and almost impossible.  The apps for the Samsung S6 Edge don't quite nail the focus as well as the OEM camera app which doesn't do RAW (DNG) that the apps do.  Only option to get DNG is to use manual focus which is difficult in the sun over an optical finder.

Best to think of these add-on things as "A camera in search of a monitor" (the phone).

SG

gbdz

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:46:06 am »

Lumix CM1 selling for 1000 dollars?
Are you kidding me or what? Who's buying?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:13:09 pm »

Lumix CM1 selling for 1000 dollars?
Are you kidding me or what? Who's buying?

There are a few cheap ones floating around, but it's a bit kludgy.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »

I recently got a MotoX Pure 2015. Didn't really buy it for the camera, which was reviewed as "pretty good" in good light, but I was pretty amazed at the quality it delivered with 21 MP. I compared side by side shot with my D800 direct jpegs--pretty amazing for such a small sensor on a phone.  No attempt to equalize exposures--straight from phone and camera.

See 100% crop comparisons here--
http://1drv.ms/1Nky9Tk

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 07:00:56 am »

I'd suggest giving it a test drive rather than theorise ;)

I have absolutely no problems with handling this nice little gizmo. And it surely does what I expected from it - images of waaaay higher quality than the build-in camera of my iP6+

Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up