Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAC to Windows  (Read 3169 times)

jmccart

MAC to Windows
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:07:29 pm »

I just received some images which were taken with a Nikon D70.  The images are jpg and look great on the MAC they are stored on.  The images were burned onto a CD.  When I look at them on my Windows PC they all have a green cast to them.  Even converting my working space to MAC doesn't improve them.  I have almost no knowledge on MACs so I'm lost.  Will one of you please take pitty on this PC guy.
Thanks,
Jerry

ricwis

• http://www.ricwis.com
MAC to Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:27 pm »

Jerry,
My first question would be is the Windows PC monitor calibrated?  It sounds like there may be something with the color between the two.  I use a Mac for my photo work and occasionally will look at some photos I've burned to a CD on my Windows PC.  The monitor on the PC is calibrated as well and the photos look fine on both.  With the standard profile that Windows was using for the PC monitor, it had a blue cast to it before I profiled.  That would be the first place I would look.

I guess you could ask the same question about the Mac where the photos are stored too.
Rich Wisler
Wildlife and Scenic Photogra

61Dynamic

• http://
MAC to Windows
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:09:13 pm »

Also, are you viewing the images on the PC in a ICC profile aware application or are you using Windows picture viewer?

RedRebel

MAC to Windows
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 11:39:33 am »

I know that macintosh uses a gamma of 1.8 while windows (Adobe RGB or sRGB) use gamma 2.2. a Gamma problems will show up as a difference in overal brightness of the images. So you should have a closer look to the profiles involved and maybe calibrate your monitor in case of colour casts.

Graham Welland

MAC to Windows
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 02:17:57 pm »

If you are not using a color calibrated PC system then you won't get close to seeing the same image quality/colours.

If the jpg files include an ICC profile other than sRGB you will only get an accurate display of the image if the viewing app also supports profiles. Otherwise you'll likely be subject to the gamma/colour shift issues.

I find that the only reliable way of distributing jpg files for viewing on any Mac/PC platform that may not be colour calibrated is to convert them to sRGB and embed the sRGB profile in the jpg file.
Graham

jmccart

MAC to Windows
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:59:53 pm »

My system is calibrated and the pictures show sRGB from the original Nikon file structure.  I've tried 2 differenet viewers and PHotoshop CS2 and they all look alike.  Looks like I'll have to get the original PC disk.
Thanks for you rsuggestions and help,
Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up