Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative 2nd edition is shipping!  (Read 21668 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
The Digital Negative 2nd edition is shipping!
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:56:05 pm »

Well, it is from Peachpit. Amazon is still listing as not yet shipping.

BTW if you want the better ebook version than the Kindle version, you can by an ebook threesome that includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF. I find the PDF the best format since it maintains the design od the book. the book.

I would be interested in useful critiques and feedback.

Dan Glynhampton

Re: The Digital Negative 2nd edition is shipping!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:19 am »

Excellent news Jeff. I've had a copy pre-ordered from Amazon UK since March, the last time I looked the estimated dispatch date was today (3 Sep) so hopefully they will show it as shipping soon.

Dan

greyscale

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:45 pm »

Hey Jeff,
 Just had a look at Amazon. Your book is to be released on Sept. 6. Priced at $31.34 for the paperback. The Kindle version is listed at $39.99. Probably a mistake on the Kindle price.

greyscale

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:50 pm »

I would be interested in useful critiques and feedback.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as either, frankly, but since you asked . . .

You point out that the merge-to-panorama function honors global adjustments but not local ones, although you report that may be changed by a future LR patch.  You single out spot healing in that regard.  I understand why it might be desirable to do spot healing before creating the pano.  Are there other local adjustments that, ideally, should be made prior to the stitch?

Schewe

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:24 pm »

You single out spot healing in that regard.  I understand why it might be desirable to do spot healing before creating the pano.  Are there other local adjustments that, ideally, should be made prior to the stitch?

Well, I only know for a fact that spot healing being left out was an oversight. I can see some potential problems for the other local adjustments–particularly Adjustment Brush because the stitch would need to also stitch the masks. Not saying it couldn't be done but I think it would be a challenge to code. Just my opinion...the engineer that agreed to spot healing said that would happen but didn't say anything about other local adjustments.

F2bthere

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:11:28 pm »

I am so glad this highly anticipated (at least by me) book is finally available!

For Memorial Day, Peach Pit is offering 50% off on two or more books or ebooks!  Great time to get your copy.

I agree that the pdf looks fantastic. The images so far are exceptionally well prepared for the pdf. Have not seen the print version yet but trust it won't dissapoint.

Thank you for the new version.

No affiliation with Jeff or Peach Pit except as a satisfied customer and fellow forum member.

jpegman

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:44:48 pm »

Thanks F2bthere - unfortunately PeachPit press page does not honor the Labor day promotion as far as I can tell. In actuality, the Labor day page list both separately at 50% off, but when one clicks on the link, you are given the non labor day discounted prices which are not as good. :(

Jpegman

Fred Salamon

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »

Thanks F2bthere - unfortunately PeachPit press page does not honor the Labor day promotion as far as I can tell. In actuality, the Labor day page list both separately at 50% off, but when one clicks on the link, you are given the non labor day discounted prices which are not as good. :(

Jpegman

I was able to get the 50% discount.
You have to apply the discount code when you go through the checkout process.

Thanks to F2bthere for letting us know about the Peachpit offer.

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:48:05 pm »

Sorry about the issue for the discount...that's way above my pay grade :~) But I'm glad you got it figured out!

aduke

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:26:38 am »

My preordered copy arrived today. ;D ;D ;D

Alan

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:56 am »

Downloaded my ebook today too  8)
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

jpegman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 04:13:55 pm »

Finally got through myself - got the book - ebook package deal for $45 !!!

Started to scan through it and it appears to be full rewrite of the original, thanks Jeff.

Jpegman

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 05:07:47 pm »

Hello,

I 'already' reached chapter 3 of this great new book, and I think the book is absolutely worthwhile, although I own the first one !

Kudos for Jeff - and let's have our fingers crossed that the second book 'The digital print' will also get updated  ;)

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

rebadurchee

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 05:43:07 pm »

Got mine.  I'm really liking this.  Nice job and nice design.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 06:38:33 pm »

and let's have our fingers crossed that the second book 'The digital print' will also get updated  ;)

Really?  What do you think needs updating?

Not that I would ever begrudge our esteemed fellow forum member the additional revenue — I've learned a great deal from his books and the video tutorials he has done with Michael and Kevin — but I'd be hard put to come up with a reason why The Digital Print is substantially dated in its current form.

Apropos of which, I just finished re-reading the fifth (and in my view outstanding) chapter — "What is a 'Perfect Print'" — and unless Brother Schewe has discovered some new Path to Perfection, I don't see how he could improve on it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:41:51 pm by Chris Kern »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »

OK, I'm going to go back and reread that Chapter 5 while I wait for D N 2 to arrive in my mailbox.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 10:43:39 pm »

Kudos for Jeff - and let's have our fingers crossed that the second book 'The digital print' will also get updated  ;)

Nothing in the printing or color management industries has changed...The softproofing in LR 5 (the version in the book) and LR CC/6 is the same. Photoshop for the purposes of printing is the same. So, it will take some important changes to digital printing before I'll need to update the book.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:13 am »

There is one point I do not understand : When doing the dekonvolution sharpening, a PSF is used to recalculate the lens blur and by inverting it, this effect is calculated out of the image. But, is the PSF created on a generic lens of the type used or is it based on the kind of lens or is it based one 'function fits all'.

Many thanks for future answers !

Btw, the remark on the other book ' the digital print' should have been a joke - therefor marked by a  :)
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 12:35:27 pm »

I was able to get the 50% discount.
You have to apply the discount code when you go through the checkout process.

Thanks to F2bthere for letting us know about the Peachpit offer.

+1

Thanks to Jeff and F2bthere ...

FabienP

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 05:44:22 pm »

I bought the e-book of the second edition this week-end. Thanks for the notification about the rebates!

Comparing this new edition to the previous one on a technical aspect, I was puzzled to see that the file of the pdf version is only about a quarter of the size of the first edition (the file was generated shortly after the original publication). Both versions have roughly the same number of pages and pictures.

It seems that images in the pdf file are much more compressed than in the first edition. The negative (no pun intended) aspect to this is that text in screen captures of Lightroom and Photoshop is mostly unreadable. Other images are not really affected by this.

Jeff, I wonder if you could somehow influence the publisher to release the e-book in the same quality as the previous edition?

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up