Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facemounting to tempered glass?  (Read 1450 times)

disneytoy

Facemounting to tempered glass?
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:42:56 pm »

I have a customer who wants a 25x60 print. Usually done with an acrylic coat. But this is for a table top. I was thinking how well would a face mounted glossy print be on tempered glass?

It may be the same as Plexi, but maybe not.

Thanks

Max

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Facemounting to tempered glass?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:04:31 pm »

not sure about tempered, but I face mount to ArtGlass all the time without any issues. I don’t believe being tempered would affect it.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:20:39 am »

Diasec face mounting has also been done to tempered glass by a German or Swiss company. One of the few fade resistance documents on Diasec mounting mentions that method.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=46668.0

More often epoxy or acrylic resins are poured (and then polymerised) on mounted prints, the structural part being plywood, MDF, etc.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

stcstc31

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:14 am »

although the glass can stand hot things being put on it, like plates of food etc, wonder what would happen to the adhesive and print as the heat is transmitted through the glass

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

graeme

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:23 am »

although the glass can stand hot things being put on it, like plates of food etc, wonder what would happen to the adhesive and print as the heat is transmitted through the glass

That's a very good point. I would also question what effect the heat would have on the pigments in the print.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:24 am »

Silicone glue as used in Diasec can stand heat quite well and glass is not a good heat transfer medium. If the front glass has to be a structural element too it will not be less than 6mm either but more than 8mm given the mentioned 25x60 inches? size. That size does not indicate a dinner table but I doubt people would put metal pans directly on a glass table either, ceramic and glass bowls could and there will be even less heat transfer from them. It is different for face mounting with lamination films, they will become soft and I suspect any mirroring flaw will increase then.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up