Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Portraiture  (Read 142403 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Portraiture
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:22 pm »

Wow! Bill. That one stopped me in my tracks scrolling the page. Almost mistaken it from the ones in Rob C's google image links.

I'ld say it's pretty iconic. How does your niece feel about it?

To be honest, I don't think she's seen this iteration, just the original colour version. Glad you liked it though.

Rob C

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2015, 04:10:09 pm »

When I was young fashion photographer I used to enjoy it a lot – mostly, but greatly dependent on, client – and also enjoyed portraits, for which I would us longer lenses. The two disciplines were kept apart, in my mind, as being totally different animals.

The funny thing about doing a longish stint of heads, for a hairdresser, for example, was that I realised that one could actually become a little bit body-blind, especially if not working with someone one knew quite well. As a result, the temptation was to shoot the two things rather apart, timewise, even on the same assignment, and not because of lens changes, just for the comfort of the inside of one's head. That was how it was most of my working life.

Recently, I have been attracted very much to the idea of doing portraits again, but can't find anyone that I want to shoot who wants to be shot, if you see what I mean. So nothing happens. Which of course, saves a lot of bother, one way or the other.

Anyway, it occurred to me the other day that I had been labouring under a delusion and confusion of words: full length, heads, portraits, when it comes down to it, it's all exactly the same thing: it's actually all a portrait of me, the shooter.

And it doesn't stop at people. Pretty much everything at which I point a camera ends up being part of me, felt inside by me, accepted or rejected by myself.

I think it's safe to extrapolate here: everything any of us does is a bloody great selfie, a life-long self-portrait.

Rob C

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »

I hope I am understanding what you mean Rob.
Our portraits reflect ourselves and our vision. At the same time this allows us to separate from the others creating our own style.
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »

I think perhaps you have both missed out one word - good portraits cane say as much about the photographer as the subject. But I susect that's true of all images we create.

Antonio Correia

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »

I think perhaps you have both missed out one word - good portraits cane say as much about the photographer as the subject. But I susect that's true of all images we create.

Indeed... :)
António Correia

Antonio Correia

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »

Just playing with ... oh, never mind !
António Correia

Rob C

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:22 pm »

Old photography was really something else. I know we've had silly cat fights about film v. digital regularly crop up, please let's not destroy this post by starting back into them: it's not up here to fuel the fanboy flames - on either side - more a taste or, perhaps, illustration of the very different 'look' when smoothness is not on the agenda. I think it's actually rather more realistic, if you like, as an experience, even though in the final analysis, it can't be unless you know a lot of people with bad skin conditions.

Maybe younger people find it challenging, sometimes, to appreciate gritty mages because they just haven't been used to them...

https://leclownlyrique.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/linstant-qui-precede/

Enjoy - I hope!

Rob C

Antonio Correia

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:21 pm »

Jean Paul Belmondo je croix...
Oh Robert Doisneau quando on pouvais photographier presque sans contraintes...

Lucien Clergue ! Super !

António Correia

Rob C

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2015, 04:32:25 am »

Antonio,

Belmondo

As a result of all that PR manipulation and restrictive access control, it's my opinion that the entire celebrity thing has been turned into a nonsense. Who can seriously look at any 'star' images on the covers of Vogue or wherever else and feel any remote affinity with the people shown? There is nobody being shown: you see a mask.

Turn the mind (or Dr Google) back to the days when Magnum was covering movie productions and you see a raft of great, evocative and actually emotional images of people like Marilyn et al. (The Misfits). There's nothing to compare anymore: just more plastic fantastic with all the heavyweight, spiritual clout of a dry sponge. Try to work your way through ¡Hola! without falling asleep!

The old magazines may also have been filled with lies, propaganda and bullshit, but at least the people concerned looked human and desirable. No, I don't think paparazzi fill the gap: they simply sweep the floors.

Lucien

Wasn't he very fond of the Pentax 67? I bought one of the later ones and had to dump it fairly soon; perhaps if I'd wanted the lenses with shutters it might have been different, but at that time I had no need for them. In that shot, you can almost taste skin. I never feel that way about contemporary stuff...

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2015, 05:10:31 am »

Antonio, I'm going to take the risk to say what I think... and I can only speak for me, I don't claim to be a great photographer, blah blah blah :-)

The problem I have with this portrait is that it feels fake. There is a guy with some books in which he is supposed to be interested. But at the same time it is obviously a studio shot: black background but particularly the highlight from the viewer's right. It would be a very peculiar working environement indeed that was lit like that.

So, we have a guy pretending to work while sitting in a studio, lit as one is "supposed" to light a studio portrait. Exposure is perfect, it's appropriately sharp, tonal range is good, but I feel a bit cheated: what environement does this guy really work in? Is it messy, well lit, half dark, in front of a big window? What is he reading? Is it what he really reads or works on, or is it something he was handed as a prop? Is he a cartoonist or a physicist?

All I have is a guy with an interesting face sitting in a standard studio :-(

Compare it with this St Ansel photo of Georgia O'Keefe:

Probably it's also fake in the sense that she's not really using those brushes... but it is her painting, in her studio, and the light is the light of her studio and it's not trying to add magic with a highlight...

Once again, just the result of my personal prejudices...

Rob C

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2015, 06:12:19 am »

Graham, you don't dig Karsh?

;-)

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:38 am »

Ha! It has to be said that if you have Einstein or Churchill sitting for you, there is less need to put them in context.
Then again, he didn't always use classic lighting:

Makes me think of Le Corbusier, famous for the buildings that least exemplified his philosophy, viz

versus

(I have a much higher opinion of Karsh than Le Corbusier, the world's most over-rated architect  ::) )

Rob C

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:19 am »

True, but he wasn't allowed to finish (off!) Paris with nightmare blocks.

Karsh I shall never forgive for what he did to Bardot.

Rob C

Antonio Correia

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »

Antonio, I'm going to take the risk to say what I think... and I can only speak for me, I don't claim to be a great photographer, blah blah blah :-) The problem I have with this portrait is that it feels fake. There is a guy with some books in which he is supposed to be interested. But at the same time it is obviously a studio shot: black background but particularly the highlight from the viewer's right. It would be a very peculiar working environment indeed that was lit like that...Once again, just the result of my personal prejudices...

Thank you so much for exposing your own perspective on this photograph.
Let me try to answer or rather explain or... never mind, what this portrait is about and what was it for.
For the second year I am building a series of portraits with some people from my home town.
The concept goes like this:

"OUR PEOPLE
Human existence leaves irreversible traces and marks which are perpetrated for ages. Man  always had an essential role in the developments models of society and in the evolution of the World and in the societies it selves.
Since ages he left artistic marks in different supports - not always of great perennial - which are today an heritage to he Humanity. Man along history has seen his memory preserved by the artistic representation and, this way his virtual existence perpetuated.
From the first iconic representations Man evolved to more fanciful forms of the reality.
With this basic idea in mind, it would be interesting to deploy a collection of Photographs of notable citizens which could be or not Setubal native but somehow connected to the city and who are or may become important in the national and international communities in any area of activity, assuming the work as a legate to future generations.
This publication is dedicated to those who have been invited and have cooperated willingly.
This is a work in progress."

It happens by change that this fellow is a mathematician two days younger than myself and it also happens that we know each other as we have studied together. But this is not important.
The photograph chosen for the project is not the one shown before but this one:

You can if you wish to see the other images from the same project here: http://www.antoniocorreia.com/Black-and-White/Gente-c%C3%A1-da-terra/

I want to use always the same - or about the same - lighting throughout this series as well as in many of my other portraits.
Now, about the lighting. I love this bloody light !
But it happens that the main light from our left is coming from a rather narrow window in a sunny day. The facade of the building is in shadow and so is the window. And yes, the light from our right is a simple flash which is a tad too strong and doesn't light his shoulders. You know, I am never satisfied with my images... there is always some silly detail I should have thought about or/and correct.

And yes again, the guy was really interested in his books and writings... here nothing is supposed to be fake.
Perhaps now you will like better the image as a new perspective and context is explained.
Can you read Portuguese ? Similar to Spanish ! Or vice-versa !

Please, do not hesitate to criticize or show your points of view regarding my images. Feel free to do so whenever you wish. And thank you again for commenting ! :)
António Correia

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2015, 04:01:28 am »

I have to laugh... I was originally a mathematician working in systems of differential equations :-)

Thank you Antonio :-)

Rob C

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:19 am »

Mathematicians?

You guys scare me! My wife was a whiz at maths and science at school and went on to work and study as an analytical chemist until I saved her, married and made her pregnant (in that order) and released her to the far greater thrill of keeping ME! happy!

Actually, I always knew she was far more intelligent than I ever could be; whereas she weighed things up in her mind and reacted according to the evaluations she made of the relative values of alternative courses of action, I almost always made the mistake of reacting immediately! In my defence I'd say this: whenever I thought things through too thoroughly I ended up unable to do anything at all.

Rob C

Antonio Correia

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »

Today I had the rare opportunity to photograph someone I do know for quite some time.
After fine tuning the flashes I edited in LR. Only in LR !

In an hour I will have another important person to include in my gallery "Gente cá da Terra"

António Correia

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:30 am »

I like this one more... the fact that the sitter is looking at the camera means to me that there is an honesty that he has come to sit in a studio for the photographer, rather than trying to recreate what he does when he is not posing. And if I'm still not a fan of the halo light (why give dramatic importance to his earlobe), the more frontal main light is less dramatic.

And Antonio, thank you very much for putting up images and being open to subjective criticism! I need to work out why I can't get attachments to stick, so you can kick me in turn  ;)

Antonio Correia

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:44 am »

Graham, come on show your portarits !!!!  :D

About my last portrait:

How and why was this self portrait done ?
I was preparing the scene to make another photograph to be included in my "Gente cá da terra / Our people" http://www.antoniocorreia.com/Black-and-White/Gente-c%C3%A1-da-terra/. The person who was coming is quite busy and - as usual - things had to be ready.
I set one flash and tested it. I set the other one and tested again. Camera on the tripod. I focused the back of the chair, set the timer and made a few steps to seat waiting for the shot to be taken.
The timer is just enough to walk and seat.
At the computer I realized that the focus was OK and I was pleased with the lights.
I switched off the flashes and camera and waited for my model.
My hand was there as it could be somewhere else. I am sure a tighter crop is more pleasant.
The flash from our right is perfect here because I have hair. When people don't have that much hair a problem may occur. Never mind. This is not supposed to be a commercial photograph.
The ear is too big ?! Perhaps you are right...  ;D

António Correia

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »

Ok, I think I've worked it out, need to limit to 1000px...

This is Emmanuelle, she's a sort of life-coach who washed up on my couch for a couple of nights. Previously a life-model, so not scared of cameras (or paint brushes) :-)

Single soft-box, 85mm/1.4 Sigma
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up