Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D - attracts more dust than usual?  (Read 16907 times)

picnic

Canon 5D - attracts more dust than usual?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 02:33:10 pm »

I've only had the 5D a few weeks but I have a big dirt problem in/on the prism view finder. I have replaced the focusing screen with a grid screen and the dirt is on the bottom of the prism (I guess). I've tried a Blower, Sensor Brush, Canned Air & Pec Pads with Fluid...no luck, just moves some dirt around while other particules don't move at all.
I can only conclude that the camera was put together in a very dirty factory.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There was a user on RG and dpreview that had a similar problem and got it fixed the second time around with Canon.  She got pretty feisty with them--perhaps that is what you will need.  I found that my viewfinder dirt was on top of the screen so I didn't have that problem.  

Diane

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
Canon 5D - attracts more dust than usual?
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 06:15:01 pm »

Particles can also collect on the SI plate, a transparent screen between the focusing screen and pentaprism. It's used to superimpose the red AF flashes on. It may be removed and cleaned but that's best done at a service center.

In my experience blowing air, especially compressed air, into the mirror box, a mounted focusing screen or into the pentaprism usually makes it worse. I learned my lesson long ago! Just live with it and let it be. If it gets really bad scream bloody murder and sent it to Canon for cleaning before the warranty is out.

I've only had the 5D a few weeks but I have a big dirt problem in/on the prism view finder. I have replaced the focusing screen with a grid screen and the dirt is on the bottom of the prism (I guess). I've tried a Blower, Sensor Brush, Canned Air & Pec Pads with Fluid...no luck, just moves some dirt around while other particules don't move at all.
I can only conclude that the camera was put together in a very dirty factory.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up