Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D - attracts more dust than usual?  (Read 16927 times)

bcf

Canon 5D - attracts more dust than usual?
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:15:39 pm »

In his Canon 5D field report, Michael notes that:
the 5D [...] seemed to attract more dust than usual.
However, he does not mention this issue in the China - In the bag article.

Michael, now that you have used the 5D extensively in a trip, what is your take on this dust issue? Is the 5D any more prone to dust than other DSLRs you have used?

-- Bernard
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:14:50 am »

In his Canon 5D field report, Michael notes that:

However, he does not mention this issue in the China - In the bag article.

Michael, now that you have used the 5D extensively in a trip, what is your take on this dust issue? Is the 5D any more prone to dust than other DSLRs you have used?

-- Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FWIW, my 5D gets dust on it more easily than the previous DSLRs I've used, including the Digital Rebel (300D), 20D, and 1D Mark II.  I haven't used another full-frame DSLR before, so I can't compare to that.  But yes, look at the 5D sideways and blink twice, and bingo -- another spot of dust has just appeared on its sensor.

Eric
Eric Chan

bcf

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:22:44 am »

FWIW, my 5D gets dust on it more easily than the previous DSLRs I've used, including the Digital Rebel (300D), 20D, and 1D Mark II.  I haven't used another full-frame DSLR before, so I can't compare to that.  But yes, look at the 5D sideways and blink twice, and bingo -- another spot of dust has just appeared on its sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Might this have to do:
- as compared to the 300D and 20D: with the larger area of the 5D sensor?
- as compared with the 1D Mark II: to the absence of weather sealing in the 5D?

-- Bernard
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:23:56 pm »

Might this have to do:
- as compared to the 300D and 20D: with the larger area of the 5D sensor?
- as compared with the 1D Mark II: to the absence of weather sealing in the 5D?

-- Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Possibly, but we can't know this for sure.  Apparently, the 5D has the largest mirror of any DSLR on the market; that could contribute some, but again we don't know.

What we do know is that the 5D is quite prone to getting dust on its sensor, whatever the reason.

Eric
Eric Chan

bcf

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:16:24 pm »

There seem to be two issues, actually (in laments in other forums are to be believed): dust on the sensor; and dust in the viewfinder. How much of a problem either one (or both) is in real life, as compared to other DSLRs, is what I am wondering...

-- Bernard
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

Pelao

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:36:27 pm »

It's a curious one. I wonder to what extent it is becoming a "known fact" simply because some people post about it. Are we hearing from those with no issues too? We have no way of knowing if there is a high percentage with a problem. No way of knowing, in fact, a number of things
- does the 5D have characteristics which make it easier to detect dust?
- what sort of users are having the problems: careful ones, who take precautions when changing lenses, or more casual users?
- is it possible that the 5D users who post about the issues are simply more aware of dust than other users because they are more particlar about their results?

Finaly, of course, maybe the 5D is indeed more dust prone.

benInMA

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:01:39 pm »

My 5D does seem to accumulate more dust then my 10D that it replaced.

I'm wondering if it's just the softer AA filter showing it more.  I think my subject matter has also changed a bit which may make it more noticeable as well, I was shooting more telephoto and narrow DoF stuff for much of the time I used the 10D.  For that kind of shooting you won't notice much dust.   (However I have had a couple huge dust spots that were visible even at f/4 if you looked really carefully.)

In any case it is not a huge problem.  I've cleaned mine twice in 6 months.   Each time I clean it, it's pretty much perfect when I'm done.  It's not hard, and I'm not worried about damaging the camera.

To some degree I think it has become a "problem" just because certain people post about it over and over again and blow things out of proportion.

The one time it was really annoying is I went on vacation last month.  I didn't bother to clean the camera before I left, and I forgot my cleaning supplies when I packed for the trip!   I then got some dust in the camera and got stuck Photoshopping it out of a bunch of pictures.      But that was mostly my mistake, if I'd have remembered the cleaning supplies it would have been a non-issue.

macgyver

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:56:09 pm »

I avoid dust on my 5D by being too poor to buy one.    Works like a charm.

ddolde

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:27 pm »

My 4x5 doesn't accumulate any dust on the sensor either  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:28:48 pm by ddolde »

Andrew Larkin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:20 pm »

- does the 5D have characteristics which make it easier to detect dust?
Back when the 5D was released, I did post a suggestion that the 5D might show more evidence of dust than other models due to the thinner glass filter over the sensor - the dust is closer to the sensor focal plane and is, therefore, more in focus.

On the flip side, because it is a full frame sensor, the same size particles of dust should appear smaller when you are looking at the total image as compared to images on an APS-format sensor.

I cannot say that I have noticed more dust on my 5D than on the 10D, but the two bodies don't get used equally nor with the same frequency of lens changes.

Andrew

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:50:57 pm »

As I mentioned in another thread:

Just 10 minutes ago I concluded a 2-hour session of cleaning my 5D and 20D that both had merely moderate dust spots.

I tested each camera for dust before and after every trial.

Yes, I used the lens pen combo that they sell for digital - note this is not stated to be for digital sensors, just LCD screens and "smaller digital lenses" (that's marketing!). 2 Lens pens. I bought them from birdsasart.com because they provide an extra file for $6 that tells you how to prepare and use these for digital sensors. I followed the instructions to the letter.

The 20D - better results. It was better after two Lens Pen trials, but it took a final going over with the standard Visible Dust brush to get to the point I am satisfied.

The 5D - terrible! It was worse after two Lens Pen trials, barely better after a going over with the large standard Visible Dust brush, and finally getting in the neighborhood of acceptable after two more full Pec-Pad/Eclipse cleanings. There is still a spot, but I have lost patience. This is not gunk that is stuck - each time it moves around - but the hurricaine blower is not dislodging it. Static charge, perhaps?

Conclusions:

1) The lens pens may work for light field touch ups, but no where near as successful as Bird As Art or John Shaw told me. I will still give it more testing, but I am not holding my breath.

2) Lens Pen did not harm the camera in any way, as predicted.

3) The 5D is a gunk magnet as rumored. 5 cleanings - it wasn't all that contaminated to begin with, and now it is barely any better, using 3 different approaches.

4) Got that off my chest and feel better now.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

benInMA

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 09:01:32 pm »

The way to clean the 5D is the Eclipse sensor swabs & Eclipse fluid.

It is a no brainer, each time I've done it the sensor has been 99.9% clean after one try.  I'm extremely happy with it.   No more then a 5 minute job.

I hadn't tried this product with my 10D but I'm sure it works just as well with other cameras.

Frankly I'm not terribly worried about scratching it or damaging it but I would not want to be using a brush which was not guaranteed clean.   The sensor swabs are more expensive then the brush products but you know are starting with a perfectly clean brush each time, so you're not just putting more dirt onto the sensor.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:08:10 pm by benInMA »

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 04:28:29 pm »

The way to clean the 5D is the Eclipse sensor swabs & Eclipse fluid.

It is a no brainer, each time I've done it the sensor has been 99.9% clean after one try.  I'm extremely happy with it.   No more then a 5 minute job.
Well, the first time, I had to use it thrice before the results were satisfactory.

The trick is, apparently, to avoid damaging the swab on the edge of the glass.
Jan

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 02:59:36 am »

I've read a lot of complaints about the 5D having both more sensor and viewfinder dust. Apparently there was a run of units early on with industrial leavings in the mirror box, resulting in hundreds of particles on the focusing screen and AF indicator plate. The RG and DP forums discussed these topics ad nauseam for the past few months.

I've had a 5D for 3 weeks and have yet to experience any more dust problems than my 10D. That is to say, no problems whatsoever. Of course I live in a humid area--Honolulu--so static attraction and cling are almost nonexistent.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 12:10:28 am »

I was told by a camera store owner that they have had a lot of 5d's but with what looks like dust ut is actually the lube that canon uses on one of the parts in the mirror housing, he told me which part but i forget. Using the sensor brush method just makes things worse apperently you have to use the old swobs? I dont own a 5d but if its any worse than the 1dsm11 then I'd be shooting alot at 1.4.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

jd1566

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 12:22:58 pm »

Interesting that about the lubricant on the sensor..

Well, my experience with the 10D was NO dust problem whatsoever.. I used it for a year, never cleaned it and never had a problem.  The 20D that replaced it was a more problematic machine, gathering dust or gunk much more quickly.  So, something changed.  Now with the 5D I find that it does get quite dirty quite quickly.  I'm not religious about cleaning, and maybe change lenses more often now that I have more of them.. but still it seems to attract dirt more easily.  
When I magnify the image I see round spots, not dust particles per se, so the idea of lubricant or other liquid that is getting on the sensor actually doesn't sound that implausable.  Normally a good clean with a sensor brush and Eclipse fluid seems to sort out the image.

Having said all that I haven't had major problems with dealing iwth the dust or spots.  Clone tool or the other one, forgotten the name, seems to do the trick most of the time..  So it's all relative.  Really, I should be out there shooting more instead of writing.. so see you all around Photokina..

Anyone have any interesting rumours to share about upcoming products? :-)
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

KenRexach

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:16 pm »

I have both the 5D and 1D mk2. The 1D mk2 is definately easier to clean since the sensor doesn go all the way to the edge of the box like in the 1Dsmk2 and the 5D. I dont find the 5D any more a dust magnet. CCD dslrs are way worse, my S2 pro was scary!

TimothyFarrar

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 12:33:59 am »

I would second that it seems as if the Canon 5D attracts more dust per area of sensor than the 10D. I don't have any tests to back up this. However I never had to worry about needing to clean the 10D sensor when traveling (just do it before and after), and now I have been caught by a few bad particles on the sensor on the 5D with no airplane safe sensor cleaning kit.

I am going to hope that as the resolution gain slows that eventualy Canon will devise a self cleaning sensor..
Timothy Farrar
Farrar Focus Digit

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 07:55:15 pm »

My viewfinder is fine and the sensor is far more dust free during general use than the vacuum cleaner they named the 1Ds (original). What I have found is that larger specs of dust are more apparent at wider apertures (f5.6 for example) which I have never noticed on other cameras. That said when I got back from Iceland having had it professionally cleaned beforehand, I had to clone over 100 spots from pictures taken with my 1Ds, After 20,000 frames and 5 months with the 5D I've cleaned it twice and never seen more than 8 spots on the sensor at f22. Oh, and I take the lens off every time the camera goes into the case.
A thought, I have the grid screen for the 5D, could that be better at keeping dust out of the viewfinder?

matt4626

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 01:50:15 pm »

I've only had the 5D a few weeks but I have a big dirt problem in/on the prism view finder. I have replaced the focusing screen with a grid screen and the dirt is on the bottom of the prism (I guess). I've tried a Blower, Sensor Brush, Canned Air & Pec Pads with Fluid...no luck, just moves some dirt around while other particules don't move at all.
I can only conclude that the camera was put together in a very dirty factory.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up