Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink smudging when varnishing  (Read 2129 times)

mackemsrule

Ink smudging when varnishing
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:16 pm »

Hi, i have a new canon IPF5100 with the starter inks still installed, I've printed a few canvases out on permajet fine art superjet canvas, the first few I used a spray protecter but was still getting some cracking of the ink on the edges after stretching, so i bought some varnish. I tried it out on a print that I printed out over 48hrs ago and it is making the ink smudge. I'm using special paper 4 as the paper type as I read this uses the glossy black inks, am I using the wrong setting or could iy just be the brand of varnish? thanks.Michael

Justin B

Re: Ink smudging when varnishing
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:58:37 pm »

I've printed a few canvases out on permajet fine art superjet canvas
I don't see this canvas listed on their website. Is it matte?

I tried it out on a print that I printed out over 48hrs ago and it is making the ink smudge.
I assume you are roll coating?

If you're using special 4, which uses the photo black, I'd expect the canvas to be satin or glossy. If the canvas is satin or gloss, I'd be wondering why you are roll coating varnish or varnishing at all, as satin or gloss canvas is generally designed in such a way as to not require a top coat.

A few more details would be helpful.

Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:53:42 pm »

Justin:
Who told you that "glossy" or semi glossy canvas' don't need varnishing? Most inkjet media uses a microporous receiver coating for the inks. This needs to be sealed to keep atmospheric contaminates out, especially Ozone, which can quickly degrade pigmented inks! The only inkjet receiver coatings that I'm aware of that might not need sealing are the swellable polymer types, which take longer to dry, and therefore are not very popular. All the "instant dry" receiver coatings are microporous AFAIK.

mackemsrule

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »

I think it was and end of range as I got it pretty cheap,It has a picture that looks like a sunflower on and It's fine art super gloss canvas with the no 23758 and I got it on ebay from the imaging warehouse, which i think is permajets own company,and I was led to believe that all canvas needs varnishing to stop it cracking on the corners when stretching
Pages: [1]   Go Up