Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR import Question--stop LR from looking at CF card or USB thumbdrive  (Read 3111 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Is there a way to tell LR to NOT look at a thumbdrive or CF card when you first open the import dialog? 

If you either of these devices installed LR always goes there automatically and when I attempt to stop the import, it either locks up LR or ends up with a White screen. 

I realize I can remove the card first, but there are times I need a thumb drive installed for moving customer files.  There should be a way to tell LR DON'T automatically import anything, let me point to what I want imported.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: LR import Question--stop LR from looking at CF card or USB thumbdrive
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:41 am »

I have never had LR automatically import anything. That would be most annoying! It lists all the possible sources for an import, but I must manually choose the one I want. I don't see any preference for this behavior, but perhaps someone else does.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:55:21 am »

There's a preference - Show Import dialog when a memory card is detected. It's in general prefs.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:05 am »

You might also need to tweak autoplay settings on Windows.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »

There's a preference - Show Import dialog when a memory card is detected. It's in general prefs.

Hi John:

I have that unchecked.  The problem is if I have thumbdrive in the PC, with jpgs.  When I go to import LR always goes to the thumbdrive first no matter.  This is on any new import.  It's just annoying as I don't want to pull the thumbdrive every time I need to import.  It only happens with thumbdrivers or if I left a CF card in the reader.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:42:58 pm »

I see what you mean. Is it because of the thumbdrive's drive letter, Paul? You might move it down the alphabet, so Lr defaults to the drive you want. It might be that LR does treat all removable drives as potential import sources. That might be an Autoplay option, but I'm not near my PC and can't check if there's a Windows setting that might help. But you would be looking at changing things in Windows rather than in Lightroom.

John

Redcrown

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:23:22 pm »

I'm annoyed by this too and I've tried every trick on Windows to make it stop. Nothing works.

My LR preference is set to NOT "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".
My CF card reader drive letter is at the bottom of the alpahbet (W).
My Autoplay is turned off and every device is set to "Take no Action"

I even followed a technique to use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to disable autoplay on non volume devices.

But when I go to Import, LR reads that darn CF card I forgot to remove.

A special prize goes to anyone who knows the REAL answer.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:34:07 pm »

I'm annoyed by this too and I've tried every trick on Windows to make it stop. Nothing works.

My LR preference is set to NOT "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".
My CF card reader drive letter is at the bottom of the alpahbet (W).
My Autoplay is turned off and every device is set to "Take no Action"

I even followed a technique to use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to disable autoplay on non volume devices.

But when I go to Import, LR reads that darn CF card I forgot to remove.

A special prize goes to anyone who knows the REAL answer.

It is an annoyance since LR is so tenacious and won't let go of the thumb drive once it has it. You can click on the location you want the import from but LR is still trying to force all the thumb drive images and eventually may let go but most time locks up till I pull the drive.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:49:26 pm »

Hi,

I don't have that problem. I used to have that problem with Capture One. Nowdays I have a similar problem with some d******d Apple program, but I can just click cancel.

Best regards
Erik

Is there a way to tell LR to NOT look at a thumbdrive or CF card when you first open the import dialog? 

If you either of these devices installed LR always goes there automatically and when I attempt to stop the import, it either locks up LR or ends up with a White screen. 

I realize I can remove the card first, but there are times I need a thumb drive installed for moving customer files.  There should be a way to tell LR DON'T automatically import anything, let me point to what I want imported.

Thanks
Paul
Erik Kaffehr

stingray

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 06:39:36 am »

A possible work around.

With Lightroom in Grid mode, drag the folder or selection of images you want to import (from Finder or Explorer)   over the Lightroom grid and release. Lightroom will enter Import mode and will have your folder or files preselected. Then apply your normal import settings or presets.

This is not ideal, but saves me a lot of time and avoids Lr second guessing what drive to import from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up