Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignoring  (Read 1030 times)

stamper

Otto Phocus

Re: Ignoring
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:32 am »

I just don't get the whole idea of any type of competition based on art. 

It is just a more formalized way of getting someone's *opinion* about your work.

What makes those six people on the "jury" any more qualified to offer an opinion than anyone else?

Why would I think that my art is "good" if these six people like it and conversely, why would I feel that my art is not so good if these six people don't like it?

I just don't get it. I have never entered any type of artistic competition and honestly, can't see myself ever doing it.

But if other people enjoy that stuff, more power to them.  I hope it gives them what they are seeking.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

AreBee

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:06:13 am »

Our first ever Street Photography Awards invite you to show us the way you see your world. Whether in your own urban environment, or as you travel the globe exploring other cultures and lands, LensCulture seeks to discover today's finest photographers capturing the best spontaneous moments.

If street photography is spontaneous, is it possible to "show [others] the way you see [the] world"?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:36 am »

If street photography is spontaneous, is it possible to "show [others] the way you see [the] world"?

I think that it is; after all, your pressing of the shutter implies that what is going down is what you find interesting about your world, which, in the end, is the one common to all of us, but all of us are sparked by different things within it... it's those things, moments, that you select that demonstrate what makes your mind tick.

Rob C

P.S. On the matter of competitions: when I didn't have my first darkroom I joined a club; the only competition I entered earned me the scorn of the 'experts' because my work, and I quote, looked 'too professional'! That put-down was the best praise those mothers could have given me, had they but known where I wanted to steer my life.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:39:07 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:09 am »

...I just don't get it. I have never entered any type of artistic competition and honestly, can't see myself ever doing it...

Despair not... There is finally one suitable for you: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103488.msg849197#msg849197
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:35:38 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:09 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up