Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens profile  (Read 2283 times)

Diplus

Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens profile
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:27:17 am »

Just got this lens and was surprised to find out that the lens profile available for this lens in ACR 9.1.1 is incorrect. At 16mm the geometric distortion correction is almost OK bu at 24mm the profile starts to add additional pincushion distortion to the original image that doesn't really need a correction at this FL. At 35mm the added pincushion distortion is pretty bad for architectural photography. So instead of correcting the geometric distortion the lens profile exacerbates it. Also, the vignetting correction is overcorrected and has to be dialed down to various degree all over the zoom range.

I googled the problem and the only mentioning of it I've found was in the feedback forum on the Phpotoshop.com. The symptoms are exactly the same that I experience with my lens.

This lens has been around for more than a year now, there are plenty of great reviews and this is a popular lens. So the questions is: are all owners of this lens ok with this profile and fix distortions manually or this is a problem with my setup? The only profile I can find in the ACR profiles folder is this (I work with RAW files):

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II (Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM) - RAW.lcp

Adobe Lens Profile Downloader doesn't show any user submitted profile for this lens. Before I spend considerable amount of time creating my own profile with Adobe Lens Profile Creator, I wanted to ask if someone already has the correct profile whether they would be we willing to share it or could point me in the direction where I can find it?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:44 am »

FWIW, the lens profile for this lens in Capture One is perfect.

Diplus

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:08:47 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I am comfortable with my current workflow using ACR and can't see the advantage of switching to Capture One just because of the lens profile for one lens. I am trying to find a solution within ACR. In the worst case scenario I will have to spend several hours creating my own profile but I hope that someone else have already done that.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:02:25 pm »

You might try a Photoshop plug in called PtLens. Don't know how well their profile works for this lens; but it has worked well with other Canon lenses.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:07:18 am »

Btw, I concur that the Adobe profile for this lens is poor. I will also note that I found their profiles for a number of Canon zoom lenses to overcorrect for vignetting.

Diplus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 01:13:28 am »

Thanks for the suggestion David. This is a solution if you need to process a couple photos but if you have to process hundreds of RAW files and they all can be at various focal lengths it is difficult to batch process them with PT lens. So I am looking for a profile for ACR that does a wonderful job automatically correcting lens distortions with a good profile in batch processing.

For individual shots I am already using Canon's DPP and their lens correction is very good but DPP is slow and doesn't have all the flexibility of adjustments of ACR.

Pages: [1]   Go Up