Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Papers-- Which One  (Read 2611 times)

raymond bleesz

Hahnemuhle Papers-- Which One
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:05 am »

This is for those of you who use this paper. I have been a user of Ilford/Harman papers--darkroom to digital for years, but I'm looking specifically at the Hahnemuhle papers.  I received a Media Sampler from the company, and of course they offer a wide selection of papers.

So I'm trying to select out of the numerous papers, what specific paper I might be satisfied with. Basically, Hahnemuhle has more offerings in the matt series than glossy. I have been using the Harman Baryta papers (glossy) & Hahnemuhle offers such as well, plus Photo Rag Pearl. fine pearl, Photo Rag Satin,and more.

In the matt (I think I want to move in this direction.) there are more selections which I am considering:  PR Bright, Photo Rag, Ultra Smooth, perhaps even bamboo and more.

I do BW & color. Typically, I frame using white archival matts and black frames up to approx 22x28 sized. I do candid portraiture, scenics, and contemplate a move  back towards BW again and away from color as I have neglected this medium although I will still work with color. If you use Hahne papers, what do you use, the whys, what is your subject matter, what went into your decisions and more?

I am not in a position to buy the bank, and I prefer to work in a consistent manner, and work with the same paper.

Thank you for your input

raymond bleesz

Re: Hahnemuhle Papers-- Which One
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:02 pm »

Okay guys----answer my question---I want to be enlightened.  Raymond

ddolde

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:06:15 am »

All I can say is I like Moab Somerset Museum Rag better than Hahn Photo Rag. Much blacker blacks.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:02:38 am »

Funny you should mention that paper.  I just ran a couple of tests on it from a sampler and its really nice and liek a heavier version of Epson VFA so if you like that type of texture and painterly quality, it's a good choice.

To the OP, you're really going to have to decide to either get a sampler and start doing some printing and evaluate for yourself and decide whether you want a smooth paper or some amount of texture (German Etching is really nice), cotton rag vs. alpha, matte vs. satin/baryta/matte/pearl.  The PR (or FA) Pearl is a unique paper.  I dont know of anyone who likes the Baryta FB product (has a weird red cast to it) and I'd concur that there are better papers than PR308 matte these days.

danlandoni

• www.danlandoni.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »

Sample, sample...and sample some more :)

I tried around 30 different types in the Spring. I ended up using Moab Entrada 300 Natural. Different papers for different needs.

Lundberg02

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:47:35 am »

This thread is ion the wrong forum sh/b in  Printers Paper Etc

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:30:30 am »

This thread is ion the wrong forum sh/b in  Printers Paper Etc
Correct, but I'll weigh in anyway.  I use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth a lot and like it for both B/W and color images.  I print with an Epson 3880 and there is a lot of data on ink permanence over at Aardenburg (I supplied the prints to Mark for testing and we tried to look at all the settings of the Epson ABW print driver).

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up