Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed:New printer or fix up old IPF8300?  (Read 904 times)

StephenOzcomert

Advice needed:New printer or fix up old IPF8300?
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:21 pm »

I have a Canon IPF8300. Have been happy with it aside from finding its software a bit clunky and printed a fair amount on canvas and photo paper tho only occasionally exceeding 24x36" prints. I had a period of time where I as not using it enough and did not realize how important it was to print at least a little every week and one of the print heads needed replacing,  then we did a large home renovation that forced us to move out for over six months and then after moving in, there were other priorities.  Now, life is settling down and I am ready to do more printing again, but it has been sitting idle for a long time so I anticipate needing a new print head or two and would likely need to replace the inks as well. 

Looking at pricing, it seems like I would be in for $2,000 plus for new inks and print heads (assuming OEM) or I could buy a new ipf 8400 with current rebates for around $700 more if my math is correct and that would get me newer software and warranty. 

Any thoughts?  Another question is what to do with the old printer if I got a new one as it is a PITA to move....

Thx much!

deanwork

Re: Advice needed:New printer or fix up old IPF8300?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:49:00 pm »

If you turn these printers off and leave them off for months that is what will happen, same with the 8400, the HPZ series, or the Epson LFs.

You just can't do that, they are designed to be plugged in and have head checks at all times.

If it were me I'd replace the heads on the 8300 and use the inks you have, after shaking them, while at the same time buy the 8400 and if you wanted to sell the 8300 you could do that. But if you leave the 8400 off you will end up right back where you started.

StephenOzcomert

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:44:14 pm »

Yes, I know about not turning off the printer.  Some of this was inevitable due to the nature of our whole house renovation where the power was off at times for a period of time and not living there made it Impossible.  Still, I guess I have little to lose by getting a new print head and seeing how it goes. Selling a working unit is doubtless easier as well should I want to change to a newer model.

Thx for the response.

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:44:59 am »

You might be surprised that everything still works. The Canons are much less fussy than the Epsons about constant use. I typically use my 8300 on a weekly basis, but there have been times over holidays and such when I've gone as much as 3 - 4 weeks without any prints. I realize that your printer has been idle for a longer period of time, but since you're replacing one head anyway, I'd manually agitate the old inks and see how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up