Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor suggestions  (Read 5167 times)

Andres Bonilla

Monitor suggestions
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »

This morning I wake up to a greenish monitor that seems to be getting worse as the day progresses, my monitor is the crt type, is it losing gas?
If I need to replace it how are the Viewsonic monitors? The Net is full of strange brands that although inexpensive it makes me wonder their quality. I thought that Apple cinema displays were nice but the run $ 800 plus. My budget is more 400 or 500 dollars for a 19 inch monitor. Are Dell's pretty good?
Is there a small chance that maybe my video driver got corrupted causing this green tint. Eventhough the monitor is 9 years old I would hate to replace it and find out that is computer related.
This is a show stopper because I am unable to work on any image with this green tint.

Thanks for your help,

Andres

Andres Bonilla

Monitor suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:04:06 pm »

I forgot, crt are really cheap now but do photographers use them any more?

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Monitor suggestions
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:14:30 pm »

I'm still using a LaCie CRT, and had a Viewsonic before that.  It's hard to know for sure whether Viewsonics today are as good as Viewsonics from something like four years ago when I got mine, but, if they are, then it's a decent monitor for photography.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Andres Bonilla

Monitor suggestions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:42:24 am »

Thanks Lisa, Dell have a good reputation on other forums.

Richowens

Monitor suggestions
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:55:35 pm »

Hi Andres,

I'm using a Dell Trinitron 17" that was given to me a couple of years ago. I calibrate it once a month with an Eye One and it works great. There is very little if any changes from month to month.

Rich

blangton

• http://photography.blangton.com
Monitor suggestions
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:12:57 pm »

Dell has their 20.1" wide screen LCD flatpanel on sale right now for less than $400.

Dell Deal...

I believe that price includes shipping...

This monitor constantly receives good ratings.  I have it's big brother - the 24.1 widescreen and have been very happy with it...

Good luck,

Bill
Bill Langton (blangton@blangton.com)  AR

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
Monitor suggestions
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:52:08 pm »

This morning I wake up to a greenish monitor that seems to be getting worse as the day progresses
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Before you go replacing the monitor, consider that it might be the video card or the connection. I cannot tell, as I am not there and it is hard to judge, but the only time I have ever seen monitors go green quickly is when the video card was bad or (more commonly) the contacts were not all seated in the connections.

Turn off everything and unplug it, then open up the computer and look for any obvious physical damage (is something burned on your card). Do not touch anything without discharging your static first by touching the exposed metal of the power supply. After checking this, proceed to look at all the contacts between the graphics card and the monitor to see that they are not corroded or bent, then connect everything securely and turn it on again. If the problem persists, then you might want to show it to someone more expert.
-Sean [ we

Andres Bonilla

Monitor suggestions
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 07:12:14 pm »

Thanks guys, larkvi that makes lots of sense I will check it first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up