Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Life: Landscape  (Read 52600 times)

Hidden Grid

Print Life: Landscape
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:44:11 am »

What are the best printer's for printing Landscape images?(Ink consumption, Speed, wide format limits[I'm looking for 13x19], durability)
What is the best gloss and luster photo printing paper for Landscape?

What lenses that have a Canon mount can be considered best for wide open landscape shooting?
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

BradSmith

Re: Print Life: Landscape
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:27:09 pm »

Hidden,
You need to be more specific and clear.  For example:
Do you want a printer that has a maximum print width of 13" or will you perhaps want larger (17")?
How much printing do you plan on doing?  Do you want pigment ink or is a dye ink printer OK?  If you don't know the difference, you need to do some research.
Regarding papers, most people here would say it depends on what paper whiteness and "feel" you are looking for and if you can live with OBA's.  If you don't know what OBA's are, do some research.  And then people will ultimately tell you to get a bunch of sample papers, print on the samples and see what YOU like.
Finally, regarding lenses, first, do you mean wide ANGLE lenses, ie, wide field of view, or do you mean best lenses at their widest aperture. or ??????

Sorry, but your questions sound like they'll benefit from further knowledge, research and clarity on your part.
Brad

Hidden Grid

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:43:06 pm »

Hidden,
You need to be more specific and clear.  For example:
Do you want a printer that has a maximum print width of 13" or will you perhaps want larger (17")?
How much printing do you plan on doing?  Do you want pigment ink or is a dye ink printer OK?  If you don't know the difference, you need to do some research.
Regarding papers, most people here would say it depends on what paper whiteness and "feel" you are looking for and if you can live with OBA's.  If you don't know what OBA's are, do some research.  And then people will ultimately tell you to get a bunch of sample papers, print on the samples and see what YOU like.
Finally, regarding lenses, first, do you mean wide ANGLE lenses, ie, wide field of view, or do you mean best lenses at their widest aperture. or ??????

Sorry, but your questions sound like they'll benefit from further knowledge, research and clarity on your part.
Brad

I want a printer that can print up to a maximum size of 13x19".
I plan on printing 3-6 times a week at about 2o images per job.
I want pigment ink that does not have OBA's in it.
As for paper I want the whitest non-OBA luster paper out there.

Lenses, I want the widest focal length with the widest aperture.

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:28:05 pm »

I want a printer that can print up to a maximum size of 13x19".
I plan on printing 3-6 times a week at about 2o images per job.
I want pigment ink that does not have OBA's in it.
As for paper I want the whitest non-OBA luster paper out there.

Lenses, I want the widest focal length with the widest aperture.
Ok, here you go with my opinions.......
Printer:  Best 13" wide pigment based printers are the Epson P600, the Canon Pixma Pro 1 and Canon Pixma Pro 10.  (OBA's aren't in ink, they are in paper.)   They produce results that you'd be hard pressed to tell apart even if the prints were right next to each other.  Go to Red River Paper's web site and they've reviewed each one.  You'll love the output from whichever one you buy.

Best Luster Paper:  Depending on who you ask, numerous different paper surfaces are called/defined as being "luster".  This ranges from the actual, almost scratchy stipple surface from the old photo labs, to various Baryta papers that have a diffused, smooth to slightly textured surface.  These are often described as looking like darkroom photo glossy paper that was air dried.  I would guess today that for landscape work, Baryta papers may be most popular.  Most all of these papers have some OBA's even if they say they don't.  That is shown from spectrum reflectance plots performed by a very common poster here on LULA named Ernst Dinkla.  Search for him and you'll find that he has a huge database of papers he has tested that show the presence of OBA's from the spectral response curves. 
A couple that seem to have little or none include Moab Juniper Baryta Rag 305, and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Baryta 315 and Photo Rag Pearl 320.  Each will have a slightly different whiteness and feel.  And maybe base material.   You'll have to see for yourself.  Freestyle Camera sells numerous inkjet paper brands and has a large data sheet with their rating of each paper.    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/inkjet/paper-ratings

Buy your printer.   Buy a number of paper samples.   See for yourself.

Best Wide Angle Lens with Widest Aperture (in my opinion - everyone else will probably disagree):
For Canon: Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZE (no autofocus) $2,650    or Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE  (no autofocus) $1540    or Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM    $1,550   or Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art $850
For Nikon:  same Zeiss lenses, or   Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.4G ED   $2,200   or same Sigma

Good luck
Brad

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 04:01:05 am »

Why would you want to shoot landscapes wide open?
I recommend the 24 TSE unless you can afford the 17 TSE.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Hidden Grid

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:59:51 pm »

Why would you want to shoot landscapes wide open?
I recommend the 24 TSE unless you can afford the 17 TSE.

I mostly shoot at night in tight spaces.

Pages: [1]   Go Up