Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkaid again.. but for artwork reproductions-texture and profiling.  (Read 1314 times)

John V.

I'm going to do some experimenting with inkaid on aluminum panels for reproductions of oil paintings.
I see everywhere that applying the inkaid can be a hassle, but I'm thinking that the uneven/irregular coat that may result from hand application may actually produce a pleasing effect, given one goal is the more "natural" look of the original oil paintings.

Does this makes sense? To those who have experiment with the inkaid products.

I may even try intentionally creating an irregular surface using a primer prior to coating with the inkaid.

I'm assuming that once I get a method down, I can print targets and profile with a colomunki as usuall...(?)
Any tips on which media type settings I may benefit more from?

How does the inkaid compare to photo/baryta papers--gamut and dmax wise? In the ballpark?

This will all be done with an 11880. I seeing to set platen to widest and make sure paper thickness is correct depending on sheet thickess.. Anything else I should look out for?

disneytoy

Re: Inkaid again.. but for artwork reproductions-texture and profiling.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:49:12 pm »

I've used Golden Digital ground, both the Matte and the glossy. I found that a proper coating resulted in pretty accurate color and more detail than I expected. I believe I used the Glossy 250 as my setting.

i was printing on very rough textured paper.Watch for headstrikes.

I think Inkaid uses the same formula from the Canadinn coating company. i'd like to try Inkaid's Glossy II.

John V.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »

The glossy type II is what I'll be using. I'll post result if there's anything interesting. I ALMOST went for it the other day, with a sheet of .050 aluminum through the 11880, but it was really sketchy. The panel didn't seem to be setting flat enough where the print head would cross and I said "nope." And it was such a tight fit through the top feed, the inkaid coat was scratching/chipping. I'm going to get some .020 and see if that looks safer. 1.5mm is max thickness on the 11880, so .050 should have worked, but it just didn't look right.

disneytoy

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:27:49 am »

After watching that video I now have motion sickness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up