Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triptych: Howto?  (Read 1546 times)

msoomro

Triptych: Howto?
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »

Hi,

I want to learn and get a good handle on doing triptych prints. (I do the printing in house)

Some newbie-ish  questions

Is there any specific guideline to split an image into three, that is generally agreed upon :-)  OR any best practices I can leverage?

Is there any Photoshop script or action that would automate the whole or part of the process?

Thanks

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Triptych: Howto?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:56:52 pm »

From Wikipedia:
"The middle panel is typically the largest and it is flanked by two smaller related works, although there are triptychs of equal-sized panels." ...
"A photographic triptych is a common style used in modern commercial artwork. The photographs are usually arranged with a plain border between them. The work may consist of separate images that are variants on a theme, or may be one larger image split into three."

I've done the former (variants on a theme) but not the latter. I've seen triptychs that are 3 separately framed prints, 3 prints in one frame, and 3 images on one piece of paper in one frame. I doubt there are any "rules" beyond having three parts. Without exception all I have seen are either three verticals that together form a horizontal, or a square(ish) center print flanked by two vertical prints. These arrangements just seem to look best, but I can't imagine any of this is cast in stone. Best practices and automation are great in the realm of engineering, but when it comes composition of an image they don't seem quite appropriate (IMO).
- Dean

msoomro

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »

Thank you DeanChriss.I appreciate the response.

While art in general is reasonably subjective in nature, most, if not all,  the composition rules in photography are mathematical hence engineering based. When to apply which rule and when to break the rule all-together - Now that's the ART side of it ;-)  - cheers

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:11:24 pm by msoomro »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »

As an aside, I believe the rules of composition were empirically derived from studying lots of compositions that generally look good to people. They are only an attempt to quantify the subjective property of "looks good", and are thus totally subjective themselves. Sometimes they work, but they don't account for all the random "stuff" in most real scenes. As Einstein once said "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality".

Before you flame me, I basically agree with what you stated and mean all of this in a good-natured way. As someone who ill spent much of his youth studying mathematics and compounded the mistake with years of studying physics I just couldn't resist.  ;)

Good luck with your triptychs!
- Dean

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »

You might find useful information from Julieanne Kost's blogs:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/page/1?s=triptych

msoomro

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »

@Dean: LOVE you response. Having studied electrical engineering for 7+ years myself, I can relate to your train of discussion. I think we are aligned

@Mike: Thanks for the link will check out
Pages: [1]   Go Up