Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: two new GX8s  (Read 11071 times)

John Camp

two new GX8s
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »

I just took delivery of two new GX8s, one all-black, one with a silver-colored top line. A few days ago, I said I thought the new Leica S was the prettiest camera I'd ever seen, based on Michael's photos. I'm taking that back. The GX8s are prettier, at least, for old folks. They remind me a lot of early high-end mechanical Kodaks, which is maybe why I like them...they take me back to the good old days. And while I've had them for less than 24 hours, they are seriously capable. I bought them to replace two GX7s, which I like a lot, but the 8s really do seem (so far) in almost every way better.

Telecaster

Re: two new GX8s
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:31:19 pm »

My GX8 (just one  ;) ) came yesterday. It is indeed a very capable gizmo. Practical dynamic range seems pretty much equal to that of Sony's A7r2. (No doubt the Sony measures and handles extreme cases better.) My main bugaboo with Panasonic remains its inability/unwillingness to fully get Auto ISO, but I can live with that. Handling-wise it's an improvement over the GX7. I'm no longer pressing buttons or turning the rear control dial inadvertently with my right thumb.

I've attached a mundane pic featuring one of my usual test targets. The weather here this week has been abysmal…yet another round of the effing jetstream, stuck in place further south than normal for the past 2.5 years now, bathing us in arctic air.  >:(

-Dave-

scooby70

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:35:37 pm »

I have a GX7 and I'll be interested to see how the 8 compares in image quality. Ditto to my Sony A7.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:54:55 pm »

I really like my GX7, however I was surprised at how well my 5D mkII images looked in recent shoots.

Cheers
Tom Brown

stever

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:35:17 pm »

I also have 2 GX7s and am very interested in your experience
-I'm quite disappointed that there is no 1st curtain ES option and from early reviews that mechanical shutter shock from about 1/60 to 1/200 remains pretty much the same
-I've seen no information on bit depth with ES - is it any better
-does the EVF turn on any faster so I don't have to tape the sensor to keep it on?
-is the in-body stabilization with any better than the 1-stop of the GX7?
-are the rear control buttons better protected from inadvertent operation?
-how do the GX7 & 8 compare in low light - AF and noise
-is there a noticeable improvement in resolution with good lenses e.g. the 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8?

thanks

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:07 pm »

-I'm quite disappointed that there is no 1st curtain ES option and from early reviews that mechanical shutter shock from about 1/60 to 1/200 remains pretty much the same
indeed strange that Panasonic didn't implement at least the solution that Olympus did with E-M1 postfactum

bluekorn

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:14:25 pm »

It is a pretty camera. An attraction to the object is part of my enjoyment of photographic equipment. If I'm a fanboy it's not of any particular brand. Michael did take a nice shot of the S7 and in spite of an ardent denial he did linger a bit on the subject of cachet and how it didn't apply in this case but as I look at the second pic in his review me thinks I see an image I might easily liken to a Greek god enjoying toying with an icon of the industry. No fault. Just an observation, a Michaeleica twinkle in his eye.

speedyk

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:52:19 pm »

I see GX7's being clearanced...would this be a good jump from my trusty G1?

Also, been looking at the 14-140, any opignons on that one?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:06:45 pm »

The 14-140 is a good workhorse all round zoom.

The 12-35 and 35-100 HD are much better lenses.

These last two coupled with the 100-300 is a great set.

But if you are limited to one zoom, go for the 14-140 and test it before buying if you can.

speedyk

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:38:21 pm »

Thank you Chris!

scooby70

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:42 am »

I see GX7's being clearanced...would this be a good jump from my trusty G1?

Also, been looking at the 14-140, any opignons on that one?

I have both the G1 and GX7.

I'd say the GX7 gives quite an improvement in image quality and higher ISO performance but I don't like the GX7's EVF and I'd recommend that anyone interested in one should try before they buy.

speedyk

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »

Thank you scooby70.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 07:41:12 pm »

I just finished a long several days shooting with a pair of gX7 bodies backed by my (heavy, large, noisy) D800. Wow! Video and still were great. Went from bright sunlight outside to darkness inside and back using "P" mode and auto ISO and didn't miss a beat. With the EVF, it was easy to check the exposure as it was created. Used the 7-14 Panasonic and a 12-40 Olympus. Very happy with the results and so were my patrons.

Had he GX8 come out several months before, I'm sure I would have upgraded, but the release was just too close for this event and my travels. Now I'm off for a month in the Balkans. If my trip is like last year, the pair of D800 bodies will be dead weight and the GX7s will shoot up a storm.

It will be interesting to see how the GX8 works out for the masses. Perhaps by next year, 16 KG of Nikon will stay home and be replaced with 6 KG of Panasonic.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up