Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas For Repro  (Read 579 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Canvas For Repro
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:17 pm »

An artist wants me to make some copies of her paintings. She doesn`t want a smooth surfaced canvas but a more textured canvas that would mimic her paintings. Any suggestions?
Mike

BobDavid

Re: Canvas For Repro
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:21 am »

A lot depends on how picky the artist is. If the artist is a picky amateur with a limited budget, I'd turn down the job. If the artist is picky and has a budget, for the sake of simplicity, stick with canvas that is the same brand as your printer. There are plenty of good canvas options, but my experience was that the premium OEM canvases were easier to work with. I used Epson canvas for Epson printers. I sourced out spraying the protective clear coat to someone who was set up to do it. I think that cost me $0.50 a sq. foot. I learned early on that the best clients were professional artists who sold editions. They were much easier to accommodate. Often times amateurs become emotionally attached to their work and demand extremely accurate color matching without wanting to pay the price.

Some of my clients did not want their canvases clear-coated. They used their own concoctions. There are products available for adding texture to giclees. My suggestion would be to let the artist apply the goop.

I required new customers (and picky customers) to put 50% down. 95% of my customers were happy with my product. I owe that in part to being able to suss out whether or not a client would be reasonable. I turned down at least 25% of the projects that came my way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:02:46 am by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up