Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon universal tilt-shift adapter  (Read 4158 times)

shadowblade

Canon universal tilt-shift adapter
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/26/it-looks-like-canons-working-on-a-universal-tilt-shift-adapter-for-ef-lenses/

I wonder how this is going to work, when most non-TS-E lenses only just cover a full-frame sensor in the first place. Or will it only work with crop sensors?

Even so, despite how much I use tilt-shift lenses (my Canon tilt-shifts are probably my most-used lenses) it still won't draw me back to Canon until they improve their sensors. Besides, Sony's method - moving the sensor around - seems like a much more elegant solution.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canon universal tilt-shift adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:12:16 pm »

... Or will it only work with crop sensors?...

Seems so, as the camera pictured is the M model.

Tony Ventouris Photography

• http://TonyVentourisPhotography.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »

Maybe similar to the Hasselblad HTS?  They turn all their lenses into Tilt-shift too with that.  Then again, it also acts as a teleconverter. 

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »

Maybe similar to the Hasselblad HTS?  They turn all their lenses into Tilt-shift too with that.  Then again, it also acts as a teleconverter. 

If it acts as a teleconverter, then it would essentially blow up the image circle, then allow you to shift across the new, enlarged image circle.

It would come as a significant cost in image quality.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:58:12 am »

Reading the patent is seems that there is no glass in this adapter and that it will cover different sized sensors. AF tilt & shift as well.
Sounds exciting. Let see if it gets built.

If that's the case, you won't get much shift at all from most lenses on full-frame.

With a 44mm image circle, you can't shift very far before running into the edge.

hjulenissen

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:30:07 am »

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/26/it-looks-like-canons-working-on-a-universal-tilt-shift-adapter-for-ef-lenses/

I wonder how this is going to work, when most non-TS-E lenses only just cover a full-frame sensor in the first place. Or will it only work with crop sensors?

Even so, despite how much I use tilt-shift lenses (my Canon tilt-shifts are probably my most-used lenses) it still won't draw me back to Canon until they improve their sensors. Besides, Sony's method - moving the sensor around - seems like a much more elegant solution.
I assume that it is about using EF lenses on crop mirrorless cameras (the M series).

I find this quote interesting:
When paired with lenses that offer Image Stabilization, the adapter will also be able to use the IS to move the image circle around.
Having lens shift under electronic control (and recording its value) might make for some nice stitching or "auto-correct buildings based on camera tilt"?

-h

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:59 pm »

If that's the case, you won't get much shift at all from most lenses on full-frame...

You might want to check Canon 11-24 and this post:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99985.msg818758#msg818758

EinstStein

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 04:52:32 pm »

There are two ways to build a TS adapter, the difference is how to tilt.
One way is to tile the lens plan, while the other is to tilt the image plan. It seems all known TS adapters are tiltig the lens plan.

It woulld be much better to tilt the image plan instead. Because then the senser would be better stay in the image circle. This is what Hasselbad Flexbody does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up