Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland accommodations along ring road  (Read 1399 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Iceland accommodations along ring road
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:27:29 am »

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as accommodations go for 3 adults during a road trip along the ring road ? Since I have never been to the country and don't know how long I would like to stay at each location, it's difficult for me to book all of the hotels ahead of time. Is it safe to find accommodations "on the go" in mid september that are not of the 500 dollar a night variety ?

DanielStone

Re: Iceland accommodations along ring road
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:39 am »

I would HIGHLY recommend camping, if that's your thing. It's a beautiful country to explore and experience, and IMO, the people you meet along the way make it even better! When I was there in 2010, most actual "campgrounds" that had shower facilities charged $5-10/person, per night, showers were extra.

Spend the money you save on good grog, and extend the trip a couple days that way :)

Just a suggestion, of course

DanielStone

Re: Iceland accommodations along ring road
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:38:06 am »

If you want to try something a bit "unordinary", look up Hotel Djúpavík. It's a seasonal hotel, and the owners are wonderful people, very hospitable :)

http://www.djupavik.com/index.php

The small town of Vík, on the southern part of the country, is also very nice, and is a great place to "send off" from in west or eastern directions!

Jökulsárlón (the iceberg lagoon) has a small restaurant/cafe that is open during the day(primarily for day tours), and the food is quite tasty. It's a great place to explore, the scenery is (literally) changing, as the changing tides cause the large pieces of ice to shift and move endlessly. I camped there for 2 days, making pictures and just enjoying the serenity of the place as a whole. It really is quite majestic.

Hence why I suggested camping, if you're up for it. It really allows you to experience the country without the boundaries(IMO, aka "comforts") of a hotel room w/ a tv, etc... You're "in it" 24/7

Pages: [1]   Go Up