Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: Museo Art Cards and Epson P800  (Read 4363 times)

ThirstyDursty

Problem: Museo Art Cards and Epson P800
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:40 pm »

I'm having issues with the Museo art cards

1) I'm not sure what profile to use as they don't have one for the P800 yet

2) on the card I did print I got smearing and the back corner got mangled and then caught ink.

I used the front feed for fine art paper...and for lack of any idea on profile the epson watercolor profile.

The mangling of the paper is my largest worry.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Problem: Museo Art Cards and Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:02:14 am »

I cannot help you on the print mangling issue as I'm not familiar with how that printer feed path works.  I print a fair amount of Museo cards both large and small on my 3880 and use the automatic top feeder without any problem.  The print smearing issue is probably from using the wrong ink setting on the P800.  On the 3880 I use 'Premium Presentation Paper Matte' and have had not issues at all.  Museo can be slow in doing profiles.  Some years ago when I had a 2880 and there were no profiles, I contacted Museo and they sent me some card blanks and had me print targets for them to profile from.  Alternatively, you can use a Museo Portfolio Rag profile with very good results.  I did a profile for Portfolio Rag using ArgyllCMS and use that one for the Artist Cards.  I cannot really see any color difference between the two papers.

Hope this helps.

Alan

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:43:17 pm »

It does help.

My understanding is that The P800 is very similar to the 3880.

I'll try top feed rather then fine art.

Do you increase paper thickness or pattent gap in the print driver settings?

Museo wouldn't help with feed issues, as they don't know the printer...but said Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper profile should work well.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:47 am »

I love my P800.  It is an outstanding printer, in most respects.

Alas, paper handling is the one area where it not only failed to improve on its 3880 predecessor - but in fact is decidedly inferior.

By all means try the auto sheet feeder.  The challenge with that option is that most fine art-type media will have those paper options grayed out and un-selectable.  Epson, in their infinite wisdom, decided that all fine art sheet media should only be printed via the manual front feed.  Mostly, that works okay.  Especially if your media is perfectly flat.  But using the front feed requires sliding the paper into a couple-millimeter-wide channel back into the bowels of the machine, where you can't see it.  If your media is not perfectly flat it hangs up and you have to fiddle with it.  It's not hard.  And it typically doesn't take more than a few seconds to fix, but it is, IMO, a design weakness.

The other issue you might be having is the size of the cards might be smaller than the front feed accepts.

Best of luck!

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:55:46 am »

I'll try top feed rather then fine art.

Do you increase paper thickness or pattent gap in the print driver settings?

Museo wouldn't help with feed issues, as they don't know the printer...but said Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper profile should work well.
No, I just used the standard settings.  Artist card stock is not as thick as regular portfolio rag.  As the paper size is small, page curl is not an issue that I have seen even with card stock that has been stored for more than 12 months at normal room temp and humidity.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:11 am »

On the 3880, the Ultra Prem Matte was one of the only matte/FA papers that did NOT require the rear slot.

Not sure if they changed that on the P800.

Many were supposedly 'clamoring' for roll paper compatibility on a 38xx successor.

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:07 am »

My guess is the slightly less than 100% flat nature of the card stock and the front load is causing the mangling issue as the paper is positioned for loading and/or as the inked part of the paper swells changing it's stature.  I use Museo large card stock in my 3800 via the rear slot and does a good, albeit slow, job.

The lack of the rear slot is the ONE thing keeping me away from the P800 as a next/additional printer. Using front slot on 3800 is a PITA that, for us, at best is a craps-shoot when used. Will look at Canon's offerings when time to for next smaller pro printer.

A strong front load system with a good vacuum hold-down be one thing, but otherwise...

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 03:30:35 pm »

I use Museo large card stock in my 3800 via the rear slot and does a good, albeit slow, job.
Why not just use the sheet feeder.  I use it for both the large and small cards without any problems at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up