Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnificent Tetons  (Read 12999 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Magnificent Tetons
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 12:31:06 pm »

... I also wish the mountain peak would be centered, but in the 3:1 ratio...

The b&w version above is quite close to that (i.e., centered in the 3:1).

I see the point about centering. At the same time, I hate losing that sense of grandeur that the wider panorama has. I print on large canvas, and the ratio is often dictated by available sizes.

As for more contrast and saturation, the OP image already had that boosted for the row of golden trees in the middle ground and the mountain range. The foreground has been simultaneously darkened as to lead the eye toward the middle ground and the opening in the sky.

However... I was reluctant to overdo it, for the following reasons:

- making the middle ground too contrasty and saturated would attract too much attention to it, instead to the mountains and the crack in the clouds

- it was really stormy and cloudy where I was standing, and the foreground and middle ground were in the shade even when the sun illuminated the clouds. Things in the shade always tend to have lower contrast and saturation; boosting it might lead to an unnatural feel, almost like the dreaded (nuclear) HDR

- the perception of lightness, contrast and saturation depends on the image size and/or viewing distance. Seen bigger, as in a 20"x 60" print, or even full-screen, we tend to examine image segments as we do in nature, i.e., the eye selects a detail and adjusts accordingly.

...Out of curiosity, where do you order your canvas prints from?

CG Pro Prints.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »

Very nice. 

MrSmith27

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 07:32:19 am »

My post-processing skills finally catching up with some difficult files  :)

The Magnificent Tetons
by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

P.S. There is a larger version on 500Px - click on the image there and enlarge your browser full-screen

I really like this picture, however I feel that wide panoramas are difficult to appreciate when not printed. So if you plan to print this as 10 ft wide keep the dimensions, if it goes into an online portfolio I would crop for a less wide look. Maybe cut of some of the foreground and left side.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 01:09:05 pm »

Great view and excellent capture, Slobodan. Both colour and B&W versions are more than worthy, although I would tend to slightly higher contrast inthe B&W and to give it more "umph".

Great stuff!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 12:18:43 am »

I've been away for a week, so I just saw this thread now.

I think Slobodan's processing skills are definitely quite adequate. I would even be more than willing to accept as a donation any of his reject prints of this scene, color or black-and-white, in either 2:1 or 3:1.

Nice shot!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tsjanik

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 08:00:25 am »

I was startled to see this your striking image Slobodon.  I was in the Tetons two weeks ago and have been working on the image below.  Seems you and I were in the same place.    ;D

Tom

Tetons_Panorama1 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:11:35 am by tsjanik »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »

I was startled to see this your striking image Slobodon.  I was in the Tetons two weeks ago and have been working on the image below.  Seems you and I were in the same place.    ;D

Hi Tom,

Yes, that is a popular spot, known as the Teton Point Turnout. A place you can safely park and enjoy the view. I was half way on my way back to Jackson Hole, driving from the "usual suspects" points, like Oxbow Bend. The day was gray and dark, stormy, and I thought I'd call it a day. When I saw the break in the clouds, I stopped the car and set up the tripod. The road there is quite elevated, relative to the field below (i.e., the slope in the left corner of the OP image is real, not just a pano exaggeration).

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »

Great capture but the light is NO JOKE. You did an amazing job but I'm sure Ansel would say "this was...difficult".

Mark

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:22 pm »

The b&w version above is quite close to that (i.e., centered in the 3:1).

I see the point about centering. At the same time, I hate losing that sense of grandeur that the wider panorama has. I print on large canvas, and the ratio is often dictated by available sizes.

As for more contrast and saturation, the OP image already had that boosted for the row of golden trees in the middle ground and the mountain range. The foreground has been simultaneously darkened as to lead the eye toward the middle ground and the opening in the sky.

However... I was reluctant to overdo it, for the following reasons:

- making the middle ground too contrasty and saturated would attract too much attention to it, instead to the mountains and the crack in the clouds

- it was really stormy and cloudy where I was standing, and the foreground and middle ground were in the shade even when the sun illuminated the clouds. Things in the shade always tend to have lower contrast and saturation; boosting it might lead to an unnatural feel, almost like the dreaded (nuclear) HDR

- the perception of lightness, contrast and saturation depends on the image size and/or viewing distance. Seen bigger, as in a 20"x 60" print, or even full-screen, we tend to examine image segments as we do in nature, i.e., the eye selects a detail and adjusts accordingly.

CG Pro Prints.

I use them too. Those 20x60 panels have done pretty well for me. 12x36 too.
-MattB

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 07:30:38 pm »

OK Slobodan I'm going to be the odd one out on this one.  IMO this shot just doesn't work.  Beside the kind of dull (tonewise) foreground, to me the angles created by the fence in the pano are distracting and the shot is too far away to really capture the grandeur of the Tetons (at least not for me)...

OK Chuck, eat your heart out!  ;D

I just got a note from the publisher of the Digital Photo Magazine that the OP image has been selected as a finalist in their Landscape 2015 competition.

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 10:52:43 pm »

Man, you don't make it easy! Gorgeous images both. To be honest I can't choose. Win, win!

Mark

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 11:45:07 pm »

Man, you don't make it easy! Gorgeous images both. To be honest I can't choose. Win, win!

Mark
+1.

The folks at Digital Photo Magazine must be smarter than the average critic.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

churly

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:44 am »

OK Chuck, eat your heart out!  ;D

I just got a note from the publisher of the Digital Photo Magazine that the OP image has been selected as a finalist in their Landscape 2015 competition.

That's fantastic!  I am proven wrong with pleasure.

But - I still don't think it stands up to a number of your other shots.
Chuck
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:11:22 pm by churly »
Chuck Hurich
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up