Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 Photos That Challenge the Definition of Landscape Photography | TIME  (Read 27746 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: 14 Photos That Challenge the Definition of Landscape Photography | TIME
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 04:20:29 am »

Finally, isn't "I like it" or "I don't like it" the only completely honest thing aesthetic judgement one can make? If I say one of those, I speak for me. If I say "this is a great/crap photo", I'm trying to speak for everyone, which is bound to fail.

AreBee

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 05:15:29 am »

Rob,

The thread was, one wold imagine, posted here precisely because people's views were being sought...

...on how 14 photos challenge the definition of landscape photography, not on their likeability.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 06:09:51 am »

Rob,

...on how 14 photos challenge the definition of landscape photography, not on their likeability.

But Rob, as they (the photos) obviously haven't changed any definition of anything, there would have been nothing left upon which to comment, would there, and poor old Isaac would have been left talking to himself; who could be so unkind?

Rob C

AreBee

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 07:11:34 am »

Rob,

...they (the photos) obviously haven't changed any definition of anything...

Have you experienced a landscape with a crumpled-paper background often?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:09 am »

Strange comment.

The thread was, one wold imagine, posted here precisely because people's views were being sought. Otherwise, it, the post itself, would have been 'irrelevant'.

Do only those things said, in agreement with whatever, count as 'relevant'? Perhaps, in some cases some think that is so.

Smacks of 'what I say is so; you others shut the eff up...'

But of course, I'm probably mistaken. don't quite grasp the zeitgeist.
Re the part in bold. Not at all, my simply saying I dislike something is just as irrelevant as anyone else saying the same thing. Though I try and say it's not to my taste  which is actually a neutral statement reflecting on me. Rather than the usual 'It's crap' when someone comments on something not to their taste, a pointless statement about the subject instead.
The reality is that we all like a small subset of what art, music whatever is presented to us and we all like to think we have good taste. The reality is that we simply have different taste. Commenting on all the things we do not like, i.e. the majority of art is a rather negative thing. This is a separate and quite different thing from constructive criticism BTW.

As for comments that are relevant, someone who likes say Justin Bieber would be the best sort of person to review a Justin Bieber concert. Why? Because they are the customer who actually wants to go to such a gig - doesn't mean they will not be uncritical. If a film reviewer hates horror movies, are they going to give one a fair review unlike someone who does appreciate the genre? Again it doesn't mean they will not be critical of flaws.
Personally I like 'good' films regardless of genre as to my mind a good story is a good story. But that is a rare thing as people tend to like a subsection of film types. My music collection is also much more eclectic than most, as I enjoy a huge range of very disparate genres, though with a slight favouritism of minor chords and fast rhythms. A combination that can be found in most genres however.
I've done film and music reviews by the way and what I noticed was that it is so much easier to write negative reviews than positive ones. The English language seems to have a lot more variety of negative than positive words. Plus it's easier to be entertaining whilst slating someone. A colleague once admitted to writing a bad review of a band that she was actually quite impressed by, because that was the easy option.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 07:54:02 am »

Rob,

It's a clickbait headline certainly, but your point still stands. Likeability is not really the point in question here. Though many have taken that line.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:26 am »

I'm a

AreBee

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 09:14:30 am »

Graham,

I'm a

...few keystrokes short of a sentence?

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 09:15:32 am »

Rob,

Have you experienced a landscape with a crumpled-paper background often?

I have experienced every kind of print as a wet (or dry) crumpled up print at one stage or another: it's called self-critical discipline!

Gimmicks are not art; they are desperate calls for help in making something out of nothing.

;-)

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 10:44:18 am »

I have experienced every kind of print as a wet (or dry) crumpled up print at one stage or another: it's called self-critical discipline!

Gimmicks are not art; they are desperate calls for help in making something out of nothing.
;-)
Any technique used appropriately is not a gimmick.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 11:53:29 am »

Graham,

...few keystrokes short of a sentence?

Argh, accidentally submitted by bumping the wrong key, immediately edited but that was lost.

My intention was to ask what is the current definition of a landscape? It seems futile to discuss challenges to it without agreeing on what it is.

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:31 pm »

Any technique used appropriately is not a gimmick.

Just as long as it's one's own or makes an argument appear sound.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 12:09:44 pm »

Argh, accidentally submitted by bumping the wrong key, immediately edited but that was lost.

My intention was to ask what is the current definition of a landscape? It seems futile to discuss challenges to it without agreeing on what it is.

Graham, you're straying dangerously close to the point where someone, somewhere, will waken up and ask: what's the definition of art, Mum?

When that happens, this entire website might as well close right down and go home, go fishing, skiing or whatever takes its fancy, because photography will be dead.

It thrives on uncertainty, lack of buyer/viewer confidence, just like any art market. Which might pose the question with which I came in: what's art? But for the sake of my beloved LuLa I shan't ask that!

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 01:49:26 pm »

One view could be...A photo of the natural outdoors - with some land in it. But may include buildings on said land or things growing on the land.
A cityscape is when subject gets more urban and the land beneath buildings tends to not be seen.

Isaac

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:52 pm »

But Rob, as they (the photos) obviously haven't changed any definition of anything, there would have been nothing left upon which to comment, would there, and poor old Isaac would have been left talking to himself; who could be so unkind?

You are not being kind. You are being condescending.

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 03:11:17 pm »

You are not being kind. You are being condescending.

Oh for crissaks, lighten up and don't be so literal!

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »

Go tell someone who's standing before you, what they should do!

This isn't your personal web site.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 04:03:59 am »

ROFL

"I'm the god-damn emperor and if I say my clothes are stunning, what right do you have to tell me they're... undefined..."

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 04:13:35 am »

I can understand ever more clearly the impossibility of getting through to, of communicating with someone who has absolutely no natural understanding about human nature, its subtleties and layers of expressional complexity.

Literal is the course of the machine.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up