Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corel Draw : Error Reading file problem  (Read 3091 times)

GunterKruse

Corel Draw : Error Reading file problem
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:15:07 pm »

I have a number of files that I can not open in corel draw.
These were created a few years ago using Corel draw 7.0 on a PC running Win95 or 98.
I have re-loaded CDR7 on my current PC running Windows2000 and I get the error "Error Reading /..../xxx.cdr file"
On the most critical file, the progress bar at the bottom gets to 40% before the error message appears.
I can load and save new files without problem, but some (but not all) of the old files are unreadable.
I have found an old hard disk and installed Windows98 and cdr on it - no effect.
Also I have installed the printer driver for the printer that (I think) was used then - no effect.
Any suggestions ?

TonyW

Re: Corel Draw : Error Reading file problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:50:41 am »

Have you tried confirming the files contain valid data by using another application capable of reading these cdr vector graphics ?  Some free viewers listed here
http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-cdr-viewer-software-for-windows/

If you suspect file corruption there may be tools that will help recover the data - just try a Google search 'cdr repair tool' you may get lucky

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:54:27 am by TonyW »

richardwatkins

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:42:31 pm »

Yikes! I'm sorry to say it seems like these files got either corrupted during the backup operation (it does happen) or... there has been cases (I experienced it twice before realizing what was going on) when nested groups of objects left in the Desktop area (outside the boundaries of a page) cause a file to become corrupted at save. It's an issue that was first identified in v.10 and to date I don't know if it's been resolved.  By nested groups I mean several groups of objects grouped together into one big "group of groups". I dont exactyly what features Corel Draw 7 has. If it has save as CMX (corel exchange format) it would be more compatible than CDR format. Consider that some layout may lost. But if you insist want keep the CDR format, try open using newer version, I.E. v. 8, 9 or 10 before opening directly from version 12. See if the following article would help: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problems-with-corel-drow.1137209/
Good luck.

GunterKruse

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up