Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgent: Does the Epson 9900 ned to be drained of ink when moving  (Read 1839 times)

Sunshine7

I read on this forum the Epson 9900 does not need to have the ink lines drained when moving the printer, not even when tipping it 90 degrees to get it out of a room for example, because of the pressurizes ink tank system.

I just spoke with Epson, to see how to lock the printheads, and they said the printer does need to be drained of ink and that a Epson tech needs to do this, and this will take 3 days to get someone out here. We're moving today!

Just not sure if they just say this, or why on this forum people said it is not needed if it actually is...

Please help!!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Urgent: Does the Epson 9900 ned to be drained of ink when moving
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:01:49 pm »

If you can keep the printer mostly level, and the distance isn't too great, then moving it can be done without draining.

I have moved several large epsons without draining, including up and down stairways.  I used enough people to keep the printer somewhat level even going up and down the stairs, but certainly it wasn't completely level. 

However, if you tip it upright, you may have a mess on your hands with ink leaking  out.  The pressure system simply squeezes the ink bags inside the cartridges when the printer is on, and while shutting it off does sort of vacuum seal the head, I've seen a couple of printers that had some serious ink leakage that were handled a little too roughly.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »

Drove my "new" used 9900 over the Sierra Nevada, about 140 miles when I picked it up. No issues. The carts were left in place. It took 4 "pall bearers" to pack it level down a flight of stairs then a tight 90-degrees into my studio. It took a little effort, but everything went fine and it's still spitting' out the prints four years later.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Sunshine7

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:03 pm »

Yes, I had read on the forum here that it should be ok, but am now quite worried, so good to hear about your experience.

Did you really tip it 90 degrees? I have to do this so that I can get it out of the room it is in...

Did you have the led screen on top when you did this? So the other side, non lcd screen part on the bottom?

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:16 pm »

Just one thing, make sure the maintenance cartridges won't cause a problem. I think lots of people use a chip resetter and some sort of DIY absorbing material that may not behave as well as genuine Epson stuff during a move.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:47 am »

Did it recently. No problem. Mostly level. Some unmade roads.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:24:21 am »

I will be moving within a month and would love any additional tips anyone has! My Epson 7890 is on the third floor of my current house and will have to be tilted pretty much vertically for brief periods to get it down the stairs and onto the truck. I have the device to lock the print head, but is there a preferred orientation for the printer during such a move? LCD side down or up?

Fortunately, in my new house the printer will be going into the office on the main floor, so once it's on the truck, it can stay level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up