Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zealand & Australia locations?  (Read 9270 times)

tjotala

• http://tjotala.com/gallery
New Zealand & Australia locations?
« on: March 11, 2006, 03:44:01 am »

I'm looking for pointers on not-to-miss locations in or around the following locations during an upcoming trip:

NZ (3 weeks): Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland (basically, all over South & North Island)
AU (2 weeks): Sydney, Cairns

Thanks!
Cheers,
 Tapani

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:03:11 am »

Haven't been to Australia, but I've been to NZ a couple of times.  Favorite places:

From Queenstown, you'll probably go to Milford Sound if you're like most of the other tourists in the area.  Milford is lovely, but most people miss the gorgeous high mountains on the way there.  There's some fantastic hiking there, but the view is great even from the road, with all the rugged mountain scenery one could want.  I actually preferred the mountains to Milford.  If you're into hiking, the Routeburn Track (both ends, but especially the one closest to Milford) is stunning.

If you like jungle-ly scenery with occasional picturesque geothermal stuff (geysers, weird-colored bubbling mud pools, etc.), then the Rotorua area on the north island is not to be missed.  It would probably be tough to do it as a day trip from Auckland, and would be best done with an overnight stay (preferably several nights).  (Auckland itself is very nice but not particularly interesting unless you like boats.  I wouldn't spend much time there.  The countryside has much more for a visitor to see.)

If you're fascinated by very big trees in beautiful forests, the kauri forests of the Northland area (northwest of Auckland) are the place to go.  It's quieter with few tourists, too.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

tjotala

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 01:14:27 am »

Thanks for the pointers! All of the locations you mentioned look very interesting, though I think the hikes might be a stretch for my kids. Are those big trees as big as California redwoods or sequoias?
Cheers,
 Tapani

samirkharusi

• http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:32:53 am »

NZ: Queenstown and surroundings. Make sure you visit a few of those unbelievably colored mountain lakes. Mount Cook is also very nice. Kids would love the Shotover Jet boats, etc. I had a campervan vacation all around the South Island some years back and I must say it had the most beautiful landscapes I have ever come across anywhere.

AUS: Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise, best climate in Australia and where the Aussies vacation. I have driven the entire coast from Melbourne to Cairns and the lasting memory is how much of the same it is. Those superb beaches go on, and on and on. Kids would love Surfers Paradise. It's not like Europe where a couple of hundred km (eg in France) drop you into an entirely different environment. Cairns is somewhat limited, so I'd suggest not allocating a big chunk of your time there unless you are a tropical rainforest junkie.

Both AUS and NZ cater extremely well to internal tourism, so the tourism infrastructure is both extensive and affordable. Local guide books will tell you all you need to know, but I found that most of the free maps close to useless. And you'll be given tons of free maps! Make sure you buy a decent road map on arrival (or try to get one from your car rental agency).
Bored? Peruse my website: [url=http://ww

wheatcraft

• http://www.stephenwheatcraft.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:23:18 am »

I took a two week photography trip to the South Island (NZ) just this past December/January. Here is a tip that is off the beaten path. There is an area around the southern tip of the island referred to as the "region of windswept trees". It is on the road between Invercargill and Dunedin. These evergreen trees (I'm not sure what they are) are indeed windswept. They form the most magnificent shapes. I drove through on a day that was heavily overcast, and rainy, so I couldn't get any pictures. But they are such a great photo subject, that when I go back (which I know I will!), I will make a special point to spend a couple of days in this region, just working with these great subjects.

Steve Wheatcraft

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:15:19 pm »

Are those big trees as big as California redwoods or sequoias?

I just noticed your location   (hi, neighbor!).  I'm also from the Bay Area, and have seen (and appreciated) plenty of redwoods, and still thought the kauri trees well worth going out of my way to see.  They're not as tall as coast redwoods (though still much taller than "normal" trees), but have much more massive trunks and an interesting weird shape.  Here's a couple of web pages with some info about them, including sizes:

kauri trees #1

kauri trees #2

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Woodcorner

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 01:18:27 pm »

Having lived in New Zealand for a short while, I'd suggest spending two thirds of your time on the South Island and the rest on the North Island. The scenery on the South Island is just fantastic.

Even with your kids you should try to do some tramping (as New Zealanders call trekking). For beginners there's the Abel Tasman Coastal Track (5 days), mostly alongside the beautiful coast in the Nelson region. Further south, the Milford track (4 days) is really spectacular, but you need to make reservations in advance. Less strenuous but still a great walk with stunning views is the Kepler track (3 days).

From the beautiful city of Christchurch you should head inland, crossing the MacKenzie Country towards the Southern Alps. Lake Tekapo is wonderful with its strangely coloured water and views of the Alps.

Near Oamaru you'll find the mysterious, perfectly round shaped Moeraki boulders which lie uncovered by the sea.

On the North Island you should have a look at the vulcanic areas such as the Tongariro National park. It is the sacred ancestral homeland for the Maories and you'll walk through moonscape beauty.

Cheers,

Andrew

tjotala

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 12:19:45 am »

Thanks for all the great pointers. As tempting as they are, I think I'll have to skip the trekking, as my kids are on the younger side (7 & 5).
Cheers,
 Tapani

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 02:28:36 am »

Thanks for all the great pointers. As tempting as they are, I think I'll have to skip the trekking, as my kids are on the younger side (7 & 5).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's the best age to take them!   Too big to carry, and too young to whinge about going walking in the bush. Our boys just loved it at that age. You may be suprised!

Australia's National parks are wonderful, with various types of accommodation in or nearby, with our favourites being the New England Tablelands, Hunter and Mid North Coast, and the Central NSW National Parks. Since you will be spending some time near Sydney, the link below is for the National Parks close to Sydney.  [a href=\"http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/content/Sydney+and+Surrounds+Region?opendocument&id=npws]http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.n...ocument&id=npws[/url]
julie

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 05:07:39 am »

Anywhere in Un Zud .. The whole place is stunning...

In Australia I would go to Hervey Bay ( about three hours drive north of Brisbane ) in Queensland,
and get the boat to Fraser Island.
Just finished a three day shoot there, fantastic location, awesome fishing as well..
Lots of stuff for the kids as well, like Whale watching..

Have fun,
David.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 06:13:12 am »

I have only been in the northern part of the South island, but found the following locales interesting:

- Kaikoura North of Christ Church for the whale/dolphins watching (sperm whales),
- Malborough for the white Sauvigons wines,
- just about anywhere for the mountain lakes and great scenary.

I'll actually visit NZ again this may, and will probably focus on Milford and Wanaka areas.

Cheers,
Bernard

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:22:23 pm »

G'day Tapani (please excuse the cheesy Aussie welcome, but you'd better get used to it)

Unfortunately I can't give you too many other pointers about NZ, but there is so much to see in Oz as well.

Around Sydney is the Blue Mountains. Just glorious. And all the way up the East Coast is wonderful.
Around Cairns: The Daintree, Mossman Gorge, out on the Reef snorkelling (a must), Kuranda (the Bird and Butterfly houses are quite eye-opening.)

If you'd like to see what these (and the rest of the country) look like, I'd invite you to visit our Australian Travel website www.tesseratravel.com. It's free to use and free to send ePostcards to all your friends while you're away. There's also a couple of hundred pages of information about our country if you want to read more.

Also check out this slideshow of Australia's Wild Shores including the Daintree Coast.

Enjoy the site and have a wonderful trip.
Andrew

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 03:26:22 am »

Slightly off-topic, but relevent . . . not sure if you're on a budget (most folk travelling with kids usually are!) but when planning your accommodation in NZ look out for the HAPNZ Holiday Parks, and Top10 Holiday Parks. These offer "accommodation" ranging from a patch of grass for your tent, through to en-suite self-catering chalets. Normally spotlessly clean, in-expensive, and often well located. In the evenings you might also want to look out for the local RSL, or RSA (retired serviceman's league) Club. They offer good wholesome suppers at very reasonable prices.

Back on-topic . . . my recommendations of NZ's "must see's" include, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Mt.Cook, the Kauri trees, and one of the thermal regions. There are a number of thermal areas but we enjoyed Orakei Korako the most. It was less "touristy" but no less fascinating.
Regards, HILTON

peteski_pj

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 08:00:55 am »

I spent about 8 months travelling around NZ and 2 months in Oz with my camera.  I think the area that Wheatcraft is referring to is the Catlins, which is outstandingly beautiful.  Absolutely amazing coastline and difficult to drive for more than 30mins without finding another beach or waterfall to go and see.  My only words of warning regarding this area are that the majority of roads are gravelled in sections and most rental agreements will not allow you to drive on them.

Aside from the Catlins I would highly recommend the area around Mt Cook accessed from the centre of the south island.  The colour of the water is outstanding.  If you are make it there you absolutely must do the walk up the Hooker Valley towards the mountain.  The views are stunning, the going is easy and you get to cross some good old fashioned swing bridges!  Return trip is only about 4 hours with the perfect place to stop for lunch at the top of the valley by the foot of the glacier.

One more place in NZ I would recommend (again on the South Island...by the way if you're in the South you must drink Speights only!) is the Oparara Basin with its magnificent caves...they largest of which truely takes your breath away.  The basin is located as far up the West Coast as you can go on the South Island (to get any further north you have to back track a short way and head around to Nelson/Abel Tasman).

As for Oz, as others have recommended I'd say Fraser Island's worth a go (wreck half buried in the sand on the east coast is a great photo op) and also Arlie Beach which gives acces to the Whitsundays.

Hope this is of some use.

I took a two week photography trip to the South Island (NZ) just this past December/January. Here is a tip that is off the beaten path. There is an area around the southern tip of the island referred to as the "region of windswept trees". It is on the road between Invercargill and Dunedin. These evergreen trees (I'm not sure what they are) are indeed windswept. They form the most magnificent shapes. I drove through on a day that was heavily overcast, and rainy, so I couldn't get any pictures. But they are such a great photo subject, that when I go back (which I know I will!), I will make a special point to spend a couple of days in this region, just working with these great subjects.

Steve Wheatcraft
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

vaughanf

• http://
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:56:00 am »

Not sure if the original poster has already taken the trip, but in case they haven't, or anyone else might find this useful, I have some insight to offer.  (Bear with me, this will end up rather long).

To cut a long story short, the North Island of NZ is quite dull and boring.  Rotorua is worth seeing, as well as Ruapehu, but aside from that, there's not a lot of scenery, and as far as photography and travel go, the South Island is your best bet.  (That and I haven't seen a lot of the north island)

As people have mentioned before, Queenstown is not to be missed.  Especially in winter.  The town itself is nestled into the mountains and sits on the edge of lake wakatipu.  Its usually freezing cold in winter, and often gets very well overloaded with tourists.  Aside from this, the place is absolutely beautiful.  You just need to arrive to see how many opportunities for great shots it provides.  As an aside, if you're into partying, this is one of the best places to do it!!

In queenstown, perhaps the neatest thing you can do is a boat trip across the lake to Walter Peak farm, on the T.S.S Earnslaw, a beautiful, historic steamship.  http://www.realjourneys.co.nz can give you a fair few ideas for things to do and see  in and around Queenstown.

Aside from Queenstown, the rest of Fiordland (while going mostly forgotten) is just as beautiful, if not more.  You can get to Glenorchy through Queenstown, and from there, you can get to Kinloch.  Going the other way, you can head south and then take a right somewhere down the road to get to Te Anau.  This is a slightly smaller town than Queenstown, and not so heavy with tourists.  It still manages to strike me every time I go there though.

Off the road to Te Anau, you can turn off to Manapouri.  This is a rather tiny township, but it sits right on lake Manapouri.  From here, you can get on a boat to west arm.  Here, there is a hydro power station, which is quite a sight to behold.  It's miles from anywhere, and the generation hall is just over two hundred metres underground, and it uses the height difference between lake manapouri and deep cove/doubtful sound to feed the generators.  It's quite humbling to think of what an achievement it was, thinking that it was built in the 60's.  (This power station was built to power a single factory, the NZAS aluminium smelter just south of Invercargill.  The smelter also happens to be my employer )

If you've taken the boat to West Arm, you can get off there, and jump on a bus to head over to Deep Cove/Doubtful Sound.  This place is one of the most under-recognised, forgotten wonders of New Zealand.  Nestled in the mountains, its just you, a lodge, and nature.  (At least as far as I remember, I haven't been there for over 10 years).  It's an astounding place.  You can take a boat tour through doubtful sound and chances are, you'll see the dolphins swimming alongside you.

These boat cruises aren't cheap, but they're well worth the dollars.

As far as Milford Sound goes, I've only been there once, and can't remember it too well.  All I remember is being eaten alive by sandflies.

Needless to say, if you're heading anywhere near or around fiordland, take a LOT of film and/or memory.  On any one good, clear day, you could walk away with hundreds of shots.  Bear in mind that it'll probably take a number of days, possibly up to a week to see everything I've listed here.  It's probably a good idea to pick a couple of places and see them, since it's not only time you spend, but the touristy type businesses in the area realise just how much money they can leech out of peoples wallets!!!

Heading away from Fiordland, you can either head south to Invercargill or north to the West Coast.  I'm not too well educated on the west coast, having never been there, but I'm told there's some interesting culture and scenery.  The wildfoods festival in Hokitika each year offers some VERY interesting cuisine.  [From the wildfoods website] Possum pate, deep fried fish eyes and whiskey marinated duck tongue were on offer this year, so the festival is not for the faint of heart.  Among the west coast area are fox glacier, haast pass and a number of other breathtaking mountain scenes.  Plenty to be seen here.

At the other end (heading south) you'll eventually get to Invercargill.  Commonly known as the a**hole of New Zealand, this is a bit of a misconception.  Bluff is.  Invercargill is 22 kilometres up .  Invercargill is my hometown, and the only advice I can give is that it's not particularly exciting.  There are a couple of things to see down here, but I wouldn't say it's worth the drive, or sacrificing seeing other places (like the west coast for example).  Interesting to see are queens park, the Invercargill water tower, and Bluff.  Bluff is a harbour town There's a rather large hill in Bluff (aptly named "Bluff Hill").   From here, you can see the Aluminium smelter, and the port of Bluff.  The smelter looks quite neat, and although I work there, I still find it a very fascinating place.  At full capacity, it uses as much electricity as the biggest city in New Zealand (Auckland) and at night, it looks a little like a gold guitar (all lit up).  It's quite an odd feeling seeing a factory that large in the middle of nowhere.

Heading away from Invercargill, there are two ways to go.  As for the windswept trees, I've never heard of an area called that, but I doubt it'll be the Catlins.  The road to Dunedin (at least the direct one) goes a different way (heading inland) where the road to the Catlins heads to the south-east coast.  The catlins are among the most awe-inspiring places on earth.  Unfortunately, there a few of the people who have lived there a while (relatives of mine, I'm sorry to say) who are bound to wreck the place.  Waikawa and Curio Bay and beautiful places.  If you're patient enough at Curio Bay, you can swim alongside dolphins.  Around the rocks, there is a petrified forest you can walk down to.  All around the region, there is an enormous amount of history to be soaked up, so take your time around there.  One thought provoking place is the wharf.  It's rather rustic, and a walk down it may make you a little seasick, but it's quite a nice sight.  You can also wander around the beach from here.  

http://vaughanf.orcon.net.nz/waikawa_wharf.jpg

If you've got time, there's some excellent fishing to be had in the area as well.  In Waikawa, be very careful.  The locals have caught onto the tourist trend, and many put on an act to impress (and get money from) tourists.  There's a certain dairy in the old church on the main road through Waikawa.  If you should drop in here, be sure to spin the lady that runs the place a story about how you're a property investor from overseas, looking at buying up a lot of land in the area.  See how long it takes before everybody in town knows   Another place to watch is a certain tourist hostel (run by the relatives of mine I mentioned before).  The owners of this place will spin so much garbage to you, and leave you with a lot of skewed facts.  Be warned.

Heading up from Waikawa, you can drive to Papatowai.  Somebody mentioned gravel roads before, and I'm very pleased to say that they've all been sealed.  There's a very tight, twisty, winding road that passes through to papatowai, and from there you can head back to Invercargill, or to Balclutha (which will lead you to Dunedin, which I'll get to later).  If you're driving on this road, be very careful, especially in winter.  There's only a thin barrier between your car and a cliff face.  The road takes between 30 minutes and an hour to drive non-stop, but if you're looking for photos, you'll take an awful lot longer.  There's an amazing amount to see down here.  There's Mount Sampson, a dormant volcano.  If you want to get to the top, be prepared to beat the bush a little, because there's no track cut to it anymore.  There's an old sawmilling site in chaslands as well.  (Chaslands also happens to be where my mother grew up, so her and I are quite familiar with the area).  Chaslands beach is a bit of a sore spot with me, but it's absolutely worth seeing.  There's been a lot of fuss over maori land claims (long story) in NZ over the last 10-15 or so years, and a few (more!!) damned relatives of mine have decided that since they're maori, and a tiny piece of their claimed land crosses the track to chaslands beach (and because there are a lot of tourists with money in the area) that charging everybody a fee for getting onto the beach is a decent thing to do.  Be careful driving into the car park, because none of this money goes into maintaining the road.  Also, the beach is closed in winter.  Something this beautiful should (and used to) belong to everybody, however, thats another story...

If you can stomach paying the entry fee, you can get down to chaslands beach.  Be warned that it's about a ten minute walk downhill.  This part isn't so bad, but don't carry too much camera gear down, because taking it back up will probably get your heart rate up!!  Down on the beach, if you're there when the tide is right, you can see the cathedral caves.  These are a real wonder of nature, and are absolutely worth the hike to get to.  Be warned though, that the tide comes into the caves when it's in, so don't be in there when it does!!  At the other end of the beach is an ancient maori camp site.  You can see the shells they've laid down all over the place to make a floor.  It's believe to be a landing site for them.  At this end, there's a beautiful little river running inland.  It's a long but beautiful walk to this end, but well worth it.  Be careful if there aren't a lot of people around, occasionally you'll see the old wild pig or deer wander down onto the beach from the bush up the hill.

Heading up from here, there's tautuku beach.  On the road down, there's a really neat obstacle course (if a little daunting!!) in the bush.  I think it'd be a neat opportunity for some shots of the kids having fun (but keep them off the big toys on the course, some of them could see you falling a LONG way).

There's a big corner on the road that lets you overlook the beach.  

http://vaughanf.orcon.net.nz will show you the kind of view you can expect.  There's usually a fair bit of wind at this point, so don't get blown over the edge.

Keep heading up the road, and you'll get to papatowai.  Not quite landscape work, but there's a gypsy man there (or at least I remember there being one) who has a bus permanently set up on his property, that serves as a museum.  Inside the bus (open to the public) there are a large array of neat, ingenious home-made devices all made from either rubbish or driftwood or the like.  There'd be an excellent portrait opportunity here for somebody.

Papatowai has become quite overrun with yuppies buying holiday houses lately, and there're very few actual permanent residents left.

Out the top of the town is a short bushwalk.  It leads to purakanui falls http://vaughanf.orcon.net.nz/purakanui.jpg

Papatowai is about the end of the road for the catlins.  If you head out of there, you end up going through owaka to balclutha.  Given the right weather conditions, there could well be some great shots to be made of the rolling pastures between these places.

Lets figure now that you decided to go the other way out of invercargill, and head towards Dunedin, going through Gore, Balclutha, Milton, Mosgiel and you get the idea...

The first small town you'll come across is Edendale.  There are some beautiful sunsets and sunrises over this town, and "Edendale Hill" is an excellent place to overlook them.  You can pick Edendale from the white and green dairy factory right in the middle of it.  Next up the road is Mataura, which is a rather unexciting town.  If you're into history, there's a large, retired and vacant paper mill on the back road.  From Mataura, there's a back road to Clinton (another small town on the way to Dunedin, which you will pass no matter which way you go).  State highway 1 leaves Mataura the other way, towards Gore.  Gore is mostly a retirement town, but the Mataura river, given the right conditions, can look very nice, especially in black and white.  The majority of people drive straight through Gore.  Keep driving for another hour, and you'll come across Balclutha.  This is a rather larger town, about half the size of Invercargill.  There's a large, quite neat looking bridge over the mighty clutha river which is rather photogenic.  The next major milestone is Milton, which is another Mataura-style town.  After there, you'll end up in Waihola.  There's a nice looking lake here, which reflects sunset lights really really well.  

Not far from here is the beautiful (and cold!!) city of Dunedin.  You can tell when you're there once you get on the motorway.  Dunedin has a lot of scottish heritage, and you can see it all over the place.  My advice if you're here is just go exploring!! You'll be amazed at how many beautiful things you can find.  If you take a drive out on the Otago Peninsula, you can get to the yellow eyed penguin (hoiho) colony.  These beautiful, endangered animals can be seen on the beach, and it's amazing to think you're looking at one of the small few populations of them left.  Further out the peninsula is the albatross colony.  Albatross' are enormous birds, and seeing them flying around you is quite surreal.

Back toward the city, and up the hill a bit (Dunedin has a lot of these hills) is larnach castle.  A beautiful old building, and certainly photo-worthy.  The drive up also offers some excellent views straight into Dunedin city harbour, and some beautiful cityscapes can be created.

Dunedin central city has a very historic feel.  Just a look at the architecture on Princes Street tells you you're somewhere special.  Especially worth a look is Otago University.  New Zealands oldest university, the buildings looks like they're jumping out of a history book.  Dunedin, subsequently, is one of the most active student towns in the country.  Most of the students live around the central city, so if you're after night life in NZ, stay a weekend in Dunedin and you won't be disappointed! (I should know, I lived there for a year while I was studying).

At the north of the city, signal hill offers beautiful views of the city.  Photos up here are excellent if you can get the right light.  Ive never managed to get night shots from here (since I didn't have a car when I was a student, and walking up signal hill is rather exhausting).

When you leave Dunedin, you'll get onto the Waitaki highway.  This road can be absolutely lethal in winter, and quite often gets closed.  If you're here in winter, take a lot of care.  This is all made harder by the kind of scenery between Dunedin and Oamaru.  Rolling green hills and pastures, forests and rivers are all commonplace here, as well as some very beautiful seascapes just past Warrington.  I must confess, I've never actually stopped for photography driving up here, but keep your eyes peeled and there'll be opportunity aplenty.  Between Oamaru and Timaru it gets a little dull, most of the roads are very straight, and there's not a lot other than plains to either side.  Timaru is a harbour town, and although I've never stopped for long there, there's certainly some beautiful scenery to be absorbed.  From Timaru to Ashburton, it's even less exciting than the previous leg of the trip.  This area is called the Canterbury Plains.  Nothing but flat fields and straight roads.  Take care on this stretch; there're a lot of idiots on this bit of road!

Ashburton isn't very exciting, another retirement town.  Rakaia (the next stop, I think) has a beautiful river running through it, oddly enough, the Rakaia River.  Not far from here is Christchurch.  The Garden City.  I lived there three months, and even with the many times I've gone back for holidays, I never feel I've done my poor camera justice.  Gardens, beautiful buildings, amazing decorations, incredible lights at night, it's all here.  Starting from when you arrive, you can keep driving up  Main South Road, which ends up becoming Blenheim Road.  There's a roundabout at the end of this, and a right turn takes you to Moorhouse Avenue.  This is the south edge of the city square.  Take a walk through the city square with your camera gear (the city square is rather large, encompassing quite a number of blocks).  The avon river runs through the centre of the city, and some of the bridges and architecture across it are just beautiful.  The botanical gardens are worth a visit as well.  If you're into historical things, Ferrymead historical park is worth visiting.  It's like walking back a hundred years.  Christchurchs most well known zoo is orana park, just out of town, in the mcleans island area.  This place isn't all it's cracked up to be.  It's improved a lot in recent years, but it still has a very unnatural zoo-like feeling to it.  By all means, have a look.  With a good long lens, there're a lot of chances to get some really neat shots.  

Another place worthy of attention though, is Willowbank reserve.  This is another zoo, but with a difference.  There's an entirely different atmosphere there.  All the animals are housed in a very natural habitat.  You can take kiwi tours, and see our national icon in an environment that it would barely tell from it's own.  From my memories (and they're getting a little old) all the animals here seemed an awful lot happier than those at orana park.  Aside from this (I'm not sure if it's still current) there was a restaurant who served a delicious buffet, then took a tour around the park at night, when all the nocturnal animals were out.  It's a really fascinating family friendly place, and there's plenty of scope for "wildlife" photos that really look like you've gone to the middle of nowhere to get them.

At the south of Christchurch city are the port hills.  These give you a great vantage point over the city for photographing.  You can see for miles, and there's a long road across the top, giving you endless positions from which to compose a shot.  The road over them is very narrow and twisty, and it's a long drop off the edge, so take it very easy up here.  There often tends to be a lot of "boy racers" up there, so watch out for them.  It's easiest to just pull over and get out of the way if one of them comes roaring up behind you.  

Just over the hills is Lyttleton.  A beautiful harbour town.  You can get there via the Christchurch southern motorway and through the lyttleton tunnel, or drive through Sumner and take a drive over the hills.  Sumner is definitely worth a visit, the beach there is gorgeous on a clear day.  Heading over the hills towards lyttleton, there are plenty of opportunities for some great photos there.  Often cruise ships stop into the harbour, and plenty of large cargo ships stop there as well.  If you follow the road down, you can take a drive around Banks Peninsula.  In spring (July-October generally) the grass on the hills is a beautiful rich green, and the water is a very deep blue.  Somewhat typical for photos, but it looks beautiful nonetheless.  If you keep following the road out around the peninsula, you'll get to diamond harbour.  This is effectively directly across the water from lyttleton, and the view of the harbour from there provides great shots.  Keep following this road out, and you'll get to Akaroa, a very beautiful town with a very french air to it.

In Christchurch, as in Dunedin, just go exploring.  It'll be worth your while, and you'll thank yourself when you see just how many great photos you can get within the bounds of the city.

There is also a "back road" to Christchurch, an alternate turnoff from just out of Gore, which wil take you through Central Otago, and has you get back on the main highway around Ashburton (around 60 kms from Christchurch).  Going through Central Otago generally means snow capped mountains, and in the summer, fruit stalls are EVERYWHERE.  Central otago is fruit growing country, and you can pick up the freshest fruit you're likely to find anywhere, and at a fairly reasonable price too.

From central otago, with this route, you'll pass through the tekapo and waitaki regions.  These are the home of the oddly coloured lakes that people have mentioned.  http://vaughanf.orcon.net.nz/benmore.jpg  This is lake benmore, home of NZ's biggest hydro-electric dam.  I only had a point and shoot with me that day, so it's not a great shot, but it shows just how amazingly blue the water is.  The only way to pick it from the sky is the mountains in between.  You have to see it to really get a feel for it.  Lake Tekapo is very much the same.  Both very beautiful to behold.

Lake Benmore is just out of Twizel, a lovely little mountainside town.  It's a very small place, but very busy.  As a side, there's a great pizza place in the shopping centre (and I cant remember the name of it!  ) but it's a great place to stop if you've been driving for a few hours.

Back to Christchurch again, if you're in Christchurch for a few days, one place that should never EVER be passed up on is Hanmer Springs.  I can't stress how wonderful Hanmer is.  It's a thermal resort, nestled in the mountains.  Driving into it reminds me a lot of Queenstown, but it's a lot smaller.  The drive out there takes between one and two hours, depending on traffic (very VERY heavy on public holidays!) but in terms of things to do on a holiday, and photo's, it's just unmissable.  The thermal pools are just incredible, especially in winter (April - June).  It's mindblowing to be sitting in 40 degrees C water, with snow all around you.  It's something that everybody should experience before they die.

Around Hanmer are beautiful mountains.  There're some really neat rock formations on the side of the road that make some quite neat photos.  Aside from that, the mountains around the resort look great on camera.

That's about all I can think of for the time being.  If anyone has any questions about anywhere in the south island, send me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:57:47 am by vaughanf »

darrenr

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 11:22:24 am »

Thanks for the pointers! All of the locations you mentioned look very interesting, though I think the hikes might be a stretch for my kids. Are those big trees as big as California redwoods or sequoias?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're looking for tall trees, then you'll be skipping past the place that has the tallest trees in the world.  They grow down next to one of the reservoirs in Victoria.  I've seen the redwoods and squoias but not those giants in my own state, would you believe?

Well kept secret, if you ask me.
[a href=\"http://www.guinessworldrecords.com/local/content_pages/eng_record.asp?recordid=47340]Guiness Book World Record[/url]

spidermike

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 02:15:10 am »

I really must disagree with Vaughan - the North Island is far from boring (after all
, he hasn't seen much of it!  The South Island is spectacular, yes, and you can fill zillions of films if you aren't careful but (to overgeneralise) it is alpine, alpine, coast and more alpine. But I found  the North Island hugely varied - you have the semi-tropical areas of Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula, the amazing Tongariro volcanic massif skirted by the Rangipo desert and the mudstones landscape of Eastland. Then there is the beautifully sceninc Lake Taupo, the awesome thermal park around Ruapehu (keep the kids under control!!) - you must spend a couple of days there.  
N.I may not be awesomely mountainous like the S.I. but it offers a huge change of scenery and location. Plus, to my mind, there are far more cultural opportunities if that is part of your portfolio.

If you are into architecture, then the two that really strike me are Napier on the E coast of N.I. where the whole town was rebuilt in the art deco of the 1930's and Christchurch with its Oxford-style buildings.

What time of year will you be there? My trip was in December to April and so I don't know how relevant this may be: down near Dunedin on the Otago peninsula I took a tour that went round colonies of albatross, seals and penguins - great for keeping kids amused and for photography as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up