Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best printer for 5D  (Read 5581 times)

JPlayer

• http://
best printer for 5D
« on: March 10, 2006, 07:08:22 pm »

Forgive me if this question has been addressed before.

I wonder, which is the best printer for the Canon 5D (12.8MP). Is there a certain qauality of printers above which no extra benfit will be apparent?

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
best printer for 5D
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:39:43 pm »

What do you want to print?
- family photos, vacations?
- fine art?

How big?
- 4x6, 8x10, 11x14, bigger, etc.?

What about types of printting material?  Glossy paper, Matte, canvas?

I use an Epson 2200 but will be purchasing another bigger printer soon depending on how the new Canon printers show.

Kelly

madmanchan

• Web
best printer for 5D
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 06:51:26 am »

What do you want to print?
- family photos, vacations?
- fine art?

How big?
- 4x6, 8x10, 11x14, bigger, etc.?

What about types of printting material?  Glossy paper, Matte, canvas?

I use an Epson 2200 but will be purchasing another bigger printer soon depending on how the new Canon printers show.

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your choice of printer shouldn't depend on the camera you have, but rather on factors such as the ones Kelly pointed out, above.

Eric
Eric Chan

JPlayer

• http://
best printer for 5D
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:59:18 am »

Thanks Kelly and Eric.

Points noted. I guess, one of the questions I have is how big can the print be from a 12.8MP camera without loosing image quality in terms of resolution, sharpness, etc. So the printer should be able to print this size. (The image quality is expressed in dpi, isnt it?)

I would like to print portraits, macro, maybe flowers, landscape.. And ...glossy and matte.

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
best printer for 5D
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:50 am »

how big can the print be from a 12.8MP camera ... portraits, macro, maybe flowers, landscape
Max print size varies with MP, subject matter, and viewing distance so no simple answer can be given. It seems bad manners to point to another photo web site (esp. one's own), but here is what works for me. You'll quickly see how subjective this is as everyone else chimes in with their own take on this matter...

Geoff Wittig

best printer for 5D
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 03:31:17 pm »

I have a Canon Eos-1Ds and a 1Ds Mk II. Using meticulous technique, low ISO, careful RAW processing and judicious up-rezing, some files from the Mk II can be printed to 24x36" with beautiful results. Forested landscapes with lots of fine detail are the toughest to render without visible digital artifacts, and one can debate just how big you can go before things become objectionable, but I really think you need something capable of 24" wide prints— i.e. an Epson 7600/7800 or an HP DesignJet 130— to cover the biggest print you would want from the 1Ds II. With the original 1Ds I'm happy with prints up to about 20x30" or so; you could argue that something like the 4800 printing 17" wide would cover it. Your Eos-5D is a bit better than the 1Ds; your mileage may vary.
One consideration to keep in mind is stitching to increase apparent resolution. I now routinely stitch up to 8 exposures together to make panoramics up to 24x80" on my Epson 7600. If I could afford the $ and space for a 9800, I would certainly try two-row stiched panoramics. The only limitations are the need for a fairly stationary subject, and a lot of patience while Photoshop slowly chugs through the enormous files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up