Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slik 614 CF tripod - Anyone use one?  (Read 4609 times)

lbergman

Slik 614 CF tripod - Anyone use one?
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:39:16 pm »

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering this tripod and am interested in hearing any comments about it from anyone who has (or has used) it. After checking the usual forums and finding nothing, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone even owns this pod.    

I currently have a Gitzo 1228 MK2 and just recently supplimented the RRS BH-55 head I have with a BH-40 for when I want to go a little lighter and don't need the extra holding power. The .8lbs weight savings the BH-40 gives me is good, but now I'm looking for still better.

So in looking at tripods lighter than the 1228, the Slik 614 seems to be the best one spec wise. For it's weight (1.9lbs) & folded size (don't want it to be longer than the 1228 & preferably shorter), there doesn't seem to be any taller ones out there. The Gitzos in the same weight & folded length class are just too short in my opinion, as well as about twice the $$$.

Any opinions or comments about it's durability and ease-of-use, or just some practical experience you want to share, is most welcomed!  

Leuis

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:11:21 pm »

For what it's worth, I've got the Pro 814CF II legs. I know you're after info on the 614, but given nobody else has replied...

I've had the legs for around a year or so and given them some pretty harsh treatment (dropped onto rocks, into the ocean etc., not with the camera attached thankfully). And no, they don't float. Mine have been used in the extreme heat, but not the extreme cold, so I can't vouch for performance in freezing conditions. For what I have done they have been great and exceeded my expectations.

They are very well made. The legs are adjusted quickly and securely (the rubber grips are great). The joints near the head have a good amount of friction and are still tight after all this time.

I expect to get many more years service from them. I've never seen the 614 version, but I'd buy them if they were made the same way as my 814.

lbergman

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:01:25 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Leuis. Good to hear at least one of their tripods is good. Hopefully the 614 is just as high quality. I just ordered it, so I'll be finding out in another week.

Leuis

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 02:47:03 am »

No worries. Having given the 814 a wrap, I certainly hope the 614 serve you well. Let me know your impressions, I might get some myself.

The 814 is the first Slik product I have ever bought - and to be honest it was purchased on impulse as first impressions and the price were both good. I've since found out that Slik don't exactly have the greatest reputation. I'm glad I didn't know that at the time otherwise I would have stumped up more and bought Gitzo like everybody else (or so it seems).

I hope they work out for you. Cheers, Leuis

alanmcf

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 11:16:25 pm »

I bought a 614CF a few months ago through the mail. I was very impressed when it arrived. It traveled to Europe with me, and though I did not use it much, its light weight and size made it really easy to keep in a back pack with me. It is great for my small digital and I expect for my Pentax 645. I will not tell anyone when I backpack with it with my Wista 4x5. Alan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:18:22 pm by alanmcf »

lbergman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:33:25 am »

I bought a 614CF a few months ago through the mail. I was very impressed when it arrived. It traveled to Europe with me, and though I did not use it much, its light weight and size made it really easy to keep in a back pack with me. It is great for my small digital and I expect for my Pentax 645. I will not tell anyone when I backpack with it with my Wista 4x5. Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just received it a few days ago. Can't complain about it's weight! It seems like it should be able to hold its 6lbs rating well enough, and I certainly intend to use it right up to that limit (including a 1D with 100-400). Only problem is it has a 1/4" mounting post and the ballhead I want to put on it takes 3/8". Just have to get a bushing, then I'll be able to test the rig out. I expect this'll quickly become my main hiking tripod, like I was looking for.

kcred

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:56:48 pm »

I'm also thinking about getting the Pro 814CF II but I keep hearing so much about Gitzos. Now that you've had it for a while, any additional comments? I'm hoping that going to the 814 rather than the 614 or 714 I can get away with 4 extension legs. Also, what's it's cross-sectional dimensions once folded? Did yours come with a 2 piece column that can be separated when a short height is needed?

For what it's worth, I've got the Pro 814CF II legs. I know you're after info on the 614, but given nobody else has replied...

I've had the legs for around a year or so and given them some pretty harsh treatment (dropped onto rocks, into the ocean etc., not with the camera attached thankfully). And no, they don't float. Mine have been used in the extreme heat, but not the extreme cold, so I can't vouch for performance in freezing conditions. For what I have done they have been great and exceeded my expectations.

They are very well made. The legs are adjusted quickly and securely (the rubber grips are great). The joints near the head have a good amount of friction and are still tight after all this time.

I expect to get many more years service from them. I've never seen the 614 version, but I'd buy them if they were made the same way as my 814.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up