Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Durability  (Read 3431 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Tripod Durability
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:40:28 am »

I have an Induro CT314 tripod. Eventually, the pivot screws that hold the legs to the "spider" kept loosening up continually when I pivoted the legs, and no amount of tightening would stop that. I contacted the company and was told that resting the tripod on my shoulder with weight atop it was the cause of this. It never occurred to me that this would be a problem and the instructions say nothing about it. Induro promptly sent me a replacement spider and some other replacement parts that I needed and the tripod is working fine again. I am wondering if the problem I described is common with tripods by reputable manufacturers that have similar lightweight construction.

While I am at it, I want to commend Induro for getting the parts to me quickly. I have heard that it can take a very long time (as in months) to get replacement parts for Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods, at least in the US.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: Tripod Durability
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:11 am »

That sounds like great service.

A tripod, like any piece of gear is going to get damaged and wear out parts if you use it a lot.
You probably get what you pay for to an extent ?

I had a couple of the alloy leg stays break on a Foba I've had for 20 hard years and after enquiring about buying replacement parts one of the European distributors sent me new one free of charge. Pretty happy with that I can tell you.

David Eichler

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:10:09 pm »

That sounds like great service.

A tripod, like any piece of gear is going to get damaged and wear out parts if you use it a lot.
You probably get what you pay for to an extent ?

I had a couple of the alloy leg stays break on a Foba I've had for 20 hard years and after enquiring about buying replacement parts one of the European distributors sent me new one free of charge. Pretty happy with that I can tell you.

Bought the tripod used, so I can't tell for sure what sort of use it got before me. However, the previous owner said he did not use it much and cosmetically the tripod looked like new. I have used it for about 10 months professionally, on a fairly regular basis, and not abusively. Also, I was not using heavy cameras or lenses on it. It doesn't seem as though that would be enough usage to wear anything out, unless I was using it in a way for which it was not designed.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:29:05 pm »

Some "Blue #242" Loctite might be in order.

When I was in central CA I went to the old RRS joint to buy a Gitzo when they were a dealer for them as well as their own stuff.  Ended up with their brand after all the comparisons were done ... and a lot poorer too.

The sales guy put it all together with some of that blue stuff and I think it comes with a small vial of the stuff and where to apply it when they ship one out.  Once together, Joe's (the owner's) wife looked it over and it didn't meet her QA standards so he had to take it apart and get another piece (The BH-55 ballhead I think?).  So they do use it, and maybe on that piece that fits into the yoke (spider) that holds the BH-55 piece.

Aside, I was sort of surprised at all the employees for just a "We only sell tripods" store.  Some Auto-CAD designer guy, Joe's office and one for his wife, the shipping dept. guys, maybe 4 cubicles for the sales people who were fielding calls and shipping arrangements from around the world.  All for a tripod shop?  Didn't see any onsite machining stuff so it must be outsourced maybe.

SG

David Eichler

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 02:04:55 pm »

Some "Blue #242" Loctite might be in order.

When I was in central CA I went to the old RRS joint to buy a Gitzo when they were a dealer for them as well as their own stuff.  Ended up with their brand after all the comparisons were done ... and a lot poorer too.

The sales guy put it all together with some of that blue stuff and I think it comes with a small vial of the stuff and where to apply it when they ship one out.  Once together, Joe's (the owner's) wife looked it over and it didn't meet her QA standards so he had to take it apart and get another piece (The BH-55 ballhead I think?).  So they do use it, and maybe on that piece that fits into the yoke (spider) that holds the BH-55 piece.

Aside, I was sort of surprised at all the employees for just a "We only sell tripods" store.  Some Auto-CAD designer guy, Joe's office and one for his wife, the shipping dept. guys, maybe 4 cubicles for the sales people who were fielding calls and shipping arrangements from around the world.  All for a tripod shop?  Didn't see any onsite machining stuff so it must be outsourced maybe.

SG

Locktite is only a partial solution that will keep the screws from loosening but does not nothing to fix the play that also develops from this problem, which I guess is why they sent me a complete new spider.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:41:45 pm »

HI David,

I've had this occurring with one of the legs of my CT414.  Current remedy is loctite.
But I think this wear and tear is fatal - the lock washers seem to have dug into the spider meaning no matter how tight you make it, it won't stay tight.

It's really great to hear that they replaced the spider as I really like the tripod.

I hope the Canadian side of the business gives as good services as I'll be getting in contact again very soon.  
I was actually thinking about purchasing a second of these, as they are great tripods.

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

ashaughnessy

• My wordpress blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »

As a counterpoint I have a manfrotto 055, which is not a lightweight, and after more than ten years of tough service it is still in perfect condition (apart from cosmetically). There are nuts/bolts at each leg joint that occasionally need tightening but the nut is a nylon locking nut so generally stays where you put it and manfrotto include a little tiny spanner for tightening them with, which clips handily to the centre column so you always have it.
On the other hand, did I mention it isn't lightweight? :-(
My previous tripod was Jessops own brand lightweight (a now almost-defunct british high street brand which used to have a shop in every major town) which self destructed after about a year.
Anthony
Anthony Shaughnessy
https://anthonyshaug

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:59:34 pm »

Induro has good service. When the large-base monopod head I bought didn't fit the Induro monopod platform, I called Induro, asking if they had a larger platform that would fit and that they could sell as a part, the service rep said, we'll just mail you a larger platform, don't bother sending the other one back. The monopod has given me good service.

One of the things you get with buying from a good company is a good supply of parts.

The Manfrotto aluminum 055 is pretty near unkillable, but, mounted with a Manfrotto 410 head, also heavy enough that it is a "close to the car" tripod.

David Eichler

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »

The Manfrotto aluminum 055 is pretty near unkillable....

I have a carbon fiber version of this tripod and one of the leg-lock levers broke while in its padded case. I wonder how long it will take to get a replacement from Manfrotto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up