Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul Craig Roberts: "America Is A Gulag"  (Read 34598 times)

Gulag

Paul Craig Roberts: "America Is A Gulag"
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:08 am »

Craig Paul Roberts,  the former Assistant Treasure  Secretary in the Reagan Administration writes,  "America is a gulag. We are ruled by a government that is devoid of all morality, all integrity, all compassion, all justice. The government of the United States stands for one thing and one thing only: Evil. You are part of the new Captive Nation."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-21/paul-craig-roberts-america-gulag
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Paul Craig Roberts: "America Is A Gulag"
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:57:53 am »

And, in a related news, Apollo astronaut says aliens prevented nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia:

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2015/08/19/32012895/

You got to trust when you hear it from the horse's mouth, right?

;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:07:15 am »

Mouth?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »

I'm all for enabling people who are intellectually challenged into work. I'm not so sure about allowing them into such senior positions though. I think you should reconsider US policy in this regard.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 03:58:42 pm »

Couldn't make heads or tails of Paul Robert's points. I can't even see a big picture POV. Looks like ramblings from a person with poor communication skills.

A large part of the imprisoned black population is comprised mostly of drug dealers and/or drug users. If they served their time, then let them out. However how long they stay in prison should be reasonable and based on the amount of damage on society caused by their behavior. Morality (whether they're a good or bad person) should have nothing to do with this.

Alcoholism has done more damage to society throughout history than drug use and there's very few in prison because of it. That's not justice nor is it moral or fair minded. It's quite stupid. Just wish being stupid or illogical was considered immoral.

Gulag

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »

It just doesn't matter anymore as long as consumerism has successfully replaced all other ideologies as the final ideology. by the way the much anticipated 60MP DSLR is just around tbe corner, and iPhone 7 plus will come out soon.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:07:44 pm »

It just doesn't matter anymore as long as consumerism has successfully replaced all other ideologies as the final ideology.

I don't see any proof of this. You have some severe tunnel vision on how society functions and clearly have no clue about how much free information we have at our disposal to prevent this tunnel vision.

I guess you didn't see Jimmy Carter's interview this past week about him attempting to fight cancer at the age of 90 by taking a new experimental drug that ramps up the bodies immune system to fight the cancer that has spread to his brain and other organs. A miracle of science. Yes, one has to purchase (be a consumer) to get this new drug. It's the ideology of survival.

Why should that be news to you?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 04:17:40 pm »

I'm all for enabling people who are intellectually challenged into work. I'm not so sure about allowing them into such senior positions though. I think you should reconsider US policy in this regard.
But then we might not have any candidates for president at all!   :'(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:29:21 pm »

We have a higher percentage of our people in prison than practically any other nation.

Why?

RSL

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:30:43 pm »

Because they've broken the law! Pretty simple.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:32 pm »

We have a higher percentage of our people in prison than practically any other nation.

Why?

You should be asking those other nations how they manage corruption and petty crime. Also can we trust how they collect statistics on how many people are murdered in their country? Maybe the US has more technology and sophisticated ways of finding the bad guy and collecting this data which brings our numbers up. Maybe we're more efficient in this way.

Just because one doesn't see crime, doesn't mean it's not happening and that applies to all nations.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 04:57:16 pm »

Because we have more laws to break than most any other nation. We elect politicians to "MAKE" laws and they write them by the boat load. They seldom repeal the old ones they supersede and simply pile up. It's to the point that everyday, every American is breaking a law somewhere and doesn't even know it.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Gulag

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »

Why?

Prison is a big biz in America, and most prisons are operated by private companies. So prisoners in fact are ultra cheap labor.

Historically,  people have been put in prison for various reasons but the most important reason has always been economic. Joseph Stalin's Gulag system was set up entirely out of economic reason -  to modernize USSR using ultra cheap slaves,  for example. Michel Foucault is right when he points out that the entire modernity is a gigantic prison in essence.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:09:02 pm by Gulag »

— Jean Baudrillard

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »

I'm only concerned about the laws that allow me to live a life that doesn't take away other's ability to do the same. Thinking of the other guy first instead of one's self helps in my not having to worry about laws known and unknown.

However, I have been violating a city/state ordinance for the past ten years by riding my bicycle on the sidewalk because I don't feel safe riding in the street knowing there's drivers distracted by their mobile devices. In the '70's when I was a kid there was no such ordinance for unmotorized vehicles in my state.

I think weekend riding "Lance Armstrong" spandex wearing lawyer types who bike competitively in large groups in Austin, TX came up with the new ordinance. Damn yuppies.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »

Why?

Because they're black?

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »

"Paranoia,
the destroyahh!"

From a great Kinks song, not about fear-addled ideologues per se but…

(IMO there are good reasons to be concerned about a whole range of both government and business practices. But embracing ideological simpletonism isn't a good response.)

-Dave-

amolitor

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 05:55:36 pm »

Interesting idea, that maybe we're just catching more bad guys.

Not, I think, supported by facts, however. We have more lawbreakers because we have more laws to be broken.

Penalties for crack cocaine are higher than for powder, for example. The myth is that crack is more addictive, but that is simply false.

It is cheaper, however. An external observer might come to the conclusion that drug laws are designed to incarcerate the poor while letting the wealthy off the hook.

Just as a for instance.

It would be naive to ascribe this to some evil plot. It's not. It's simply a path of least resistance.

For example, one might observe that private prison operators lobby for more draconian laws, might choose to fund anti crime initiatives. Why not? Of course they do! And what's wrong with that?

Meanwhile the lads on wall street fund studies 'proving' that powder cocaine is harmless. Because they love blow, and it hasn't hurt them a bit! What's wrong with that?

So the lawmaker, caught between public pressure to do something about crime and the wall street boys, passes strict anti crack legislation. Everyone is happy. Except the poor.

Multiply this by 1000 more similar scenarios.

Capitalism is a marvelously efficient system once you let money control politics.

RSL

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 06:30:32 pm »

Interesting idea, that maybe we're just catching more bad guys.

Not, I think, supported by facts, however. We have more lawbreakers because we have more laws to be broken.

Penalties for crack cocaine are higher than for powder, for example. The myth is that crack is more addictive, but that is simply false.

Actually, Andrew, I agree with you -- at least to the extent that I think all drugs should be available for purchase at your local drug store, and that there should be no penalties for personal consumption per-se. Until 1914 that pretty much was the situation, though you couldn't smoke opium in an opium den. And yet our society wasn't drug-ridden. Part of our problem is that by making drugs illicit, kids especially are intrigued.

On the other hand, the idea that our drug laws are a "Wall Street" conspiracy is a bit -- in fact more than a bit -- over the top. I think a large part of the problem is that "lawmakers" feel they need to make laws in order to appear busy and get reelected.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »

... I think all drugs should be available for purchase at your local drug store, and that there should be no penalties for personal consumption per-se...

Amen to that.

Decriminalize it and you'd take related crime out of it, together with drug lords and their smuggler and dealer armies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up