Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

A7rII review - single card.

(1/12) > >>

David Anderson:
Thanks for the review Michael, I've been waiting for it.

So, it looks like an amazing camera from the spec sheets and certainly everyone who's review it seems pretty impressed.
The recent lenses to be released from Sony and Zeiss are also reading up pretty well - particularly the 90 macro.
In short, Sony is a very tempting proposition now.
But I can't get past the single SD card slot having had dual CF/SD card slots in my cameras for many many years now.
Though I've only had a few card problems since the start of digital, those problems have all been with SD's
Does this worry anyone else ?
Personally, I can't imagine shooting something important without that back-up, though maybe I'm overly cautious or even paranoid.. lol

BernardLanguillier:
Same concern here.

In my book it rules out the a7rII for mission critical applications where the higher bulk of my existing gear isn't a major problem (and bulk has never been a major problem objectively speaking).

That's fine, v3 or the a9 will for sure fix that. I'll happily let the hype crowd fund the R&D activity at Sony until they get it really right and will continue shooting with my highly performing gear in the meantime. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr:
Hi,

Phase One cameras are also single card, although being regarded fully professional. Yes, dual cards would be preferable, no doubt.

I dont really think the A7 series are professional cameras, the A7 designation is a clue, all "professional" cameras from Minolta/Sony had a 9 in their names, like A900, A99 and A9?

Best regards
Erik

--- Quote from: David Anderson on August 22, 2015, 02:31:11 am ---Thanks for the review Michael, I've been waiting for it.

So, it looks like an amazing camera from the spec sheets and certainly everyone who's review it seems pretty impressed.
The recent lenses to be released from Sony and Zeiss are also reading up pretty well - particularly the 90 macro.
In short, Sony is a very tempting proposition now.
But I can't get past the single SD card slot having had dual CF/SD card slots in my cameras for many many years now.
Though I've only had a few card problems since the start of digital, those problems have all been with SD's
Does this worry anyone else ?
Personally, I can't imagine shooting something important without that back-up, though maybe I'm overly cautious or even paranoid.. lol

--- End quote ---

Manoli:
We've already been through this in an earlier thread.

There is no MILC format camera that has dual card slots.
There's not been a digital Leica M with dual card slots
If you need dual card slots then buy a larger DSLR with all its limitations.

ITM, I'd no more think of going on a 'mission-critical' shoot with a single cam any more than I would relying on a single form of backup - dual card slots included. If I wanted the cam, for the cam's sake - I wouldn't be deterred by the single card, I'd look for an alternate safety strategy.

Manoli:

--- Quote from: David Anderson on August 22, 2015, 02:31:11 am ---Personally, I can't imagine shooting something important without that back-up ..

--- End quote ---

Tethered backup to dual SSD's ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version