Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Monitor blurriness  (Read 3854 times)

Onslow

2nd Monitor blurriness
« on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:20 am »

I have bought a new custom built pc. It is 1 month old. It came with Win 8.1 pro installed. After getting the machine up and running correctly, Occasionally, the Eizo monitor connected via displayport and running at its native resolution would go blurry. Restarts would show a blurriness and slight distortion of the start up screens as well. Eventually it would clear.
I have now upgraded to Win10 pro with all mb drivers up to date as well as the latest video drivers. The problem persists however. Occasionally it goes blurry and restarts won't necessarily clear the problem. In desperation, I pulled the displayport cable from the card whilst powered up, plugged it back in and discovered the problem cleared!. I now find this is the only way I can recover from the blurriness on the Eizo. PLease note though, this blurriness only occurs on the eizo through the display port, not the NEC thru the Dvi. It also affects everything diplayed on the Eizo. Color Navigator software is also up to date at version 6.4.10.9
I went to Leadtek for assistance and they have nothing, instead they point to Nvidia for technical support. Nvidia suggested to try a new cable for the displayport. This cable worked fine connected to the Eizo on my old Win 7 64 pc with a Leadtek Quadro K2000 video card. I have tried the other displayport on the card with the same problem.
Has anyone else had similar problems?

Spec of the machine

Windows: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64Bit
Ram: 64 GB
Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe USB 3.1
CPU Info: Intel Core i7 5930K
Display Adapters: Leadtek NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 Gb Workstation Card
Display Adaptor Driver: 353.82
Monitors: 2x; NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 1920 x 1200 via Dvi, Eizo CG277 2560 x 1440 via Displayport,
Calibrator X-Rite i1 Photo Pro2
Hard Disks:
C: 1 Tb Samsung 850 SSD for Programs
D: Asus BW 16D1HT Pro Blu-Ray Writer
E: 500Gb Samsung 850 SSD for Lightroom Catalog
F: 120Gb Samsung 850 SSD for Win10 and Adobe Swapfiles
W: 4 x 4 Gb WD Red HDs in Raid 1 + 0  8Tb size for Data
Cheers

Onslow

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: 2nd Monitor blurriness
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:52:00 am »

There was a report on overclock.net of problems with an Eizo monitor not properly updating under Windows 10.  I don't know if this is the same problem that you are having.  When you go into Device Manager and look at the installed monitors do you see the proper driver for the Eizo or is it listed as a generic pnp monitor?  It it's the second that might be the issue here and you might need to manually load the Eizo driver to make sure it's correct.  Can you connect the Eizo via a DVI or HDMI input to see if it's somehow a problem with the display port adapter?  The fact that you can power up with the Eizo disconnected and then plug it in indicates that there is a driver issue somewhere since the plugging in after startup starts the hardware recognition process anew.

I would note that these kinds of problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot and sometimes it's best to clear out all the drivers and reinstall.

Alan

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:27 am »

There was a report on overclock.net of problems with an Eizo monitor not properly updating under Windows 10.  I don't know if this is the same problem that you are having.  When you go into Device Manager and look at the installed monitors do you see the proper driver for the Eizo or is it listed as a generic pnp monitor?  It it's the second that might be the issue here and you might need to manually load the Eizo driver to make sure it's correct.  Can you connect the Eizo via a DVI or HDMI input to see if it's somehow a problem with the display port adapter?  The fact that you can power up with the Eizo disconnected and then plug it in indicates that there is a driver issue somewhere since the plugging in after startup starts the hardware recognition process anew.

I would note that these kinds of problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot and sometimes it's best to clear out all the drivers and reinstall.

Alan
Alan, thanks for that. On my old pc with a K2000 Quadro, using the latest Nvidia drivers AND the latest software from Eizo, even then, I found the monitor listed as a generic PnP monitor.
On this current machion, it is listed as a generic PnP device as well.
At the following page http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/products/software/CG277#tab02 I see updates for the colornavigator software but nothing else. I download the inf file for the monitor but that only supports win 8.1 and win10 says the latest driver is already installed and doesn't allow the file to be used.
I may contact Eizo as well then with this to see if it is their inf causing the problem.
Cheers

Onslow

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:34:23 am »

I found the monitor listed as a generic PnP monitor

My CG246 and CX240 are also both listed as generic PnP, running through Displayport in Win 7. Monitors are plug and play and no driver should be necessary. I've certainly never installed any monitor driver, ever.

You say 2nd monitor - have you tried switching, making the Eizo primary and the NEC secondary?

Onslow

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:06:44 am »

My CG246 and CX240 are also both listed as generic PnP, running through Displayport in Win 7. Monitors are plug and play and no driver should be necessary. I've certainly never installed any monitor driver, ever.

You say 2nd monitor - have you tried switching, making the Eizo primary and the NEC secondary?
To explain the setup, Win 10 Control Panel/Display/Screen Resolution has the Eizo as Display #1 and the NEC Display #2 as the main display.
I've attached 3 screenshots to better illustrate.
Cheers

Onslow

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:25:54 am »

Take a closer look at those screenshots. The NEC is marked as "this is currently the main display", and the Eizo has a checkbox for "make this my main display".

So #1 does not mean it's the main display. I know, it doesn't make sense, but there it is...

Now, whether changing it makes the NEC blurry I don't know. You'll just have to try and see.

Onslow

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 10:33:24 am »

Take a closer look at those screenshots. The NEC is marked as "this is currently the main display", and the Eizo has a checkbox for "make this my main display".

So #1 does not mean it's the main display. I know, it doesn't make sense, but there it is...

Now, whether changing it makes the NEC blurry I don't know. You'll just have to try and see.
If I make the Eizo the main display, i then get the start button and taskbar on it permanently which i do not want.The physical layout is the eizo in front of me for ps and lr. The nec to the left for web and other less important stuff. I want the start etc on that one so i don't have to minimise the window to fire a program up. This arrangement worked perfectly as described on my old win 7 64 machine with the same monitors and physical setup of them.
Cheers

Onslow

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:56 am »

i then get the start button and taskbar on it permanently which i do not want

Can't you just unlock the taskbar and drag it over?

My two Eizos are on separate systems, so I can't check this now, but I'm pretty sure you can do that.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:14 pm »

If you look at the screen capture of the Device Manager you can see that the NEC monitor did load driver software which is why it did not come up as a generic PnP monitor.  I don't know if the Eizo problem is a result of a lack of a specific driver or not.  I know that my NEC monitor does require a driver to be installed to maximize performance.

Onslow

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:47 am »

Can't you just unlock the taskbar and drag it over?

My two Eizos are on separate systems, so I can't check this now, but I'm pretty sure you can do that.

I have tried that now but reverted to the previous setup after a couple of annoying issues with it.
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:02:58 am »

If you look at the screen capture of the Device Manager you can see that the NEC monitor did load driver software which is why it did not come up as a generic PnP monitor.  I don't know if the Eizo problem is a result of a lack of a specific driver or not.  I know that my NEC monitor does require a driver to be installed to maximize performance.
Alan, One thing I did try at the suggestion of Nvidia was to swap the cable into the other DisplayPort socket. I did that. After a resart, it turned out that the cable was originally in the #2 DisplayPort connector on the card. It is now on the #1 connector. Strange thing is, the problem hasn't occurred since so perhaps this was part of it?
Who knows? I also reported this to Eizo and they were interested. They were going to contact Japan for me re this but were happy to wait to see if it was indeed the pc/video card.
Cheers

Onslow
Pages: [1]   Go Up