Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum moderation & locked threads  (Read 15286 times)

MarkL

Re: Forum moderation & locked threads
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 07:19:57 am »

Over-moderation has killed many forums and bans along with other heavy handed approaches incite more puerile behaviour and fixes little since people feel slighted or that the mods have taken sides. I think this forum is still one of the better behaved ones online and don’t see the big issue here.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 07:25:54 am »

... if you just simply stopped writing juvenile, antagonistic, drivel which has no purpose other than to provoke other people?...

For example?

AreBee

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 07:28:21 am »

daws,

I don't see any downside to doing this (other than the additional time it will take management).

The principal cause of Chris' current frustration is the time taken to review and subsequently lock threads.

daws

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 09:37:10 am »

The principal cause of Chris' current frustration is the time taken to review and subsequently lock threads.

When forums get too much traffic for one admin to handle alone, they have the option of bringing moderators aboard. The duties can be shared with mods in any manner the admin wishes.

AreBee

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »

daws,

When forums get too much traffic for one admin to handle alone, they have the option of bringing moderators aboard.

Too much traffic is not an issue.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 12:33:02 pm »

I find the "ignore" feature works well for me.
I just started to use it. I'm curious if you and other's find it doesn't work with email announcements. I believe that if someone on the ignore list posts, I'm still getting an email of a post. If so, maybe that can be fixed?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:41 pm »

I just started to use it. I'm curious if you and other's find it doesn't work with email announcements. I believe that if someone on the ignore list posts, I'm still getting an email of a post. If so, maybe that can be fixed?

Right now, admin is trying to resolve the issue that many (all?) members are not receiving notification at all, to threads they subscribed to. Perhaps a good time to let them know about your type of problem with notifications as well?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2015, 12:45:59 pm »

Right now, admin is trying to resolve the issue that many (all?) members are not receiving notification at all, to threads they subscribed to. Perhaps a good time to let them know about your type of problem with notifications as well?
I haven't had this option on long enough to know if it's an issue or not, hence the question to other's who have the option on. Do you still get email notifications?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 01:32:24 pm »

Just a further thought about ignore lists. It would be imperfect, but can ignore lists be used to determined who to "ban" (or regulate/censure) in some way, or at least mitigate the decision. If suddenly, 95% of the user base ignores a particular user, that would be a signal to moderators that there may be an issue. I suspect things would never be that clearcut though.

(In any case, wouldn't it be ironic if this particular thread fell victim to the kind of inane exchange that is being addressed. I detected a movement toward the personal in a few of the above exchanges, something the OP was hoping to avoid, I suspect.)

It may not be directly relevant but in the HAM radio world (especially 2-meter nets), the way an interloper (obscene or annoying or otherwise) is usually dealt with is that the other stations on frequency never acknowledge nor address the problem transmitter. Not getting any attention works against that kind of person.
--
Robert

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 03:34:18 pm »

...wouldfn't it be easier if you just simply stopped writing juvenile, antagonistic, drivel which has no purpose other than to provoke other people?
Whilst the pot and the kettle may both indeed be black, this sort of harangue leaves some of us rolling our eyes.  ::)

TomFrerichs

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 04:52:21 pm »

I think I have the answer, Chris.

You need to create YAF (yet another forum) limited to discussions of other members' parentage, photographic skills, and eating habits.  It could be filled with threads such as "Slobodan is a big, stinky boo-boo butt" which would, of course, describe Slobodan's shortcomings.  Before I go further, I do not endorse the idea that Mr. Blagojevic  has any of those characteristics; this was for illustrative purposes only.  I hope Slobodan might possibly have a twisted enough sense of humor that he wouldn't take offence and threaten me with bodily harm.

This forum would need to be closely moderated, not for ad hominem attacks, but because it would quickly go off-topic.  For example, I can foresee some poster asking if that butt was micro four-thirds or full frame because if it were m4/3 it wouldn't have the resolution or dynamic range necessary to fully characterize it in an artistic fashion. This would lead to some long discussion on the merits of different camera systems. Then someone else would complain that it was all an Adobe plot and beg for good demosaicing of Fuji RAW files. You would need to keep watch to ensure that postings that might contribute to understanding and civility don't accidentally creep in.

Here's the best part: for that forum only you appoint the worst offenders as moderators. They'll be so busy removing each others' threads that they won't have time to add content elsewhere.

NOTICE: the above was sarcasm or irony or some such similar device. I'm too damn lazy right now to go look up definitions, but I'm sure someone will correct me. It was not meant as a serious suggestion. There is no implied warranty, so if it ain't funny you're out of luck.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Do not worry Tom, I've been called worse on these forums and never responded with anything but humor. I am a firm believer in "stick and stones..."

Colorado David

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »

You should write for The Onion. ;)

TomFrerichs

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:03 pm »

You should write for The Onion. ;)

You should be very worried.  I've seriously considered writing a long post entitled: Three Kinds of Photographers I Don't Want To Associate With: Scientists, Gearheads, and the Competition Crazed.

Fortunately I've managed to fight the temptation.

Tom (also in Colorado, but has not taken a single photograph of aspen, mountain sheep, or sunflowers and is therefore waiting for the photo police to arrest me for my own protection.  ;D )

Oh, Lord!  I just realized how off topic this is. Sorry about that.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2015, 10:25:45 pm »

...I've seriously considered writing a long post entitled: Three Kinds of Photographers I Don't Want To Associate With: Scientists, Gearheads, and the Competition Crazed

I'm trying to figure out what kinds are left...

Dave

mjrichardson

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:12 am »

For example?

I don't know Slobodan, maybe it's the reading of the last post of the closed thread and the first page of the thread discussing whether threads should be locked for a start?

Here we go again...running to hide behind mommy's skirt.

If you want me banned, Isaac, fine... grow out of that kindergarten, be a man and say so.

Chris

Pots and kettle's may well be black but eye rolling is really not necessary, surely intent is what dictates whether a post is antagonistic? Slobodan, along with many others, bicker back and forward with no intention to resolve an issue or accept each others views as being different, it's juvenile.

Now I have a choice, I can say that a number of people were being dicks in the thread you closed and that when you start a thread to discuss moderation, the same people continue to be dicks in exactly the same manner, that would be juvenile and antagonistic so I wouldn't do that! My pointing out how people are behaving and how those posts are written with the intent to antagonise, then it's just my view of the facts, in my opinion they are being juvenile, antagonistic and writing drivel, that's what it is. My suggestion to Slobodan is rather than point out how people can avoid reading the rubbish, he and others could just stop posting the rubbish.

I don't know how best to moderate forums, that's why I don't run one! I don't envy your task but I guess it's a necessary part of running a site. Virtual lives are becoming increasingly important to people, we can all have bad days, be grumpy and argumentative at times, it's either dealt with in our personal lives or we go online and vent, that extra layer of anonymity seems to make people think it's ok to write whatever they like.

Anyway, these are my opinions, you are of course entitled not to agree with them.

Have a good week.

Mat

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 03:31:16 am »

Obviously a lot of recent posters don't go on YouTube. It's definitely the wild west. With a just a very few exceptions LuLa is very civilised.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Otto Phocus

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:29 am »

This is why we can't have nice forums.   :-\
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:34 am »

I can today confirm that one of the two people on my Ignore list who posted did send an email notification to me. So it appears that Ignore doesn't work with email notifications. Not that it's a huge, big deal. Be nice in the context of the Ignore functionality that when someone on the list posts, a notification isn't sent. Not sure if that's big engineering or not. I'll leave that to Chris to comment on.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 10:42:04 am »

I think the site and forums are well run. I appreciate all that Chris, Michael and Kevin do here. When the threads dissolve to what I consider non productive commentary or the occasional obnoxious statement I just skip it and move on. I can skim the messages and see if there really is anything meaningful If it is minutia nattering and not really adding anything just move on. When the whole thread goes to the netherworlds, I just move on. Self moderation and the limited moderation that does occur with the occasional locked thread is just fine. At least it is not all deleted and when I see discussions such as this one, I realize I have missed "another" but unless I am really bored I don't need to hunt it down to see the fuss.

So I am happy with the way it is and the compromises.

Thanks Chris, Kevin, and Michael.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up