Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off-the-shoulder bag to carry your XVF or Hx type camera in???  (Read 12843 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

The medium format cameras in the form of the Hasselblad Hx series seem to me to be awkward to fit with a lens attached in a casual off-the-shoulder bag because of the bulk of the camera (with its battery grip) and a fitted lens. What bags do you use to carry such a camera with, say a 50mm lens attached?

Any brilliant ideas for such an outfit and a second lens?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

landscapephoto

Re: Off-the-shoulder bag to carry your XVF or Hx type camera in???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:38:08 am »

I use a Delsey Cortex 5. It fits the H camera with a 50mm attached or the H camera with a 80mm attached and a second lens. The same bag was available in leather under the name "Delsey Corium", there is a review here: https://mydarkroom1.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/delsey-corium-5-review-dslr-gear/. It is a very simple bag: one large compartment with movable dividers and two front pockets. It is the smallest I could find which holds the H camera and is fairly discrete.

However, I am afraid Delsey stopped manufacturing camera bags. Still: you may find old stock.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:30:52 pm by landscapephoto »

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:16:21 pm »

Thank you for the info. I went to the Delsey website and saw this:

"This site is down because it no longer exists.
Thank you for your understanding."

So, I guess that's the end of them.

Thank you anyway.
Roger

I use a Delsey Cortex 5. It fits the H camera with a 50mm attached or the H camera with a 80mm attached and a second lens. The same bag was available in leather under the name "Delsey Corium", there is a review here: https://mydarkroom1.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/delsey-corium-5-review-dslr-gear/. It is a very simple bag: one large compartment with movable dividers and two front pockets. It is the smallest I could find which holds the H camera and is fairly discrete.

However, I am afraid Delsey stopped manufacturing camera bags. You may find old stock, however.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:47:29 pm »

joerg_glaescher

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:51 am »

Thank you, all, for your replies.

On another forum, someone mentioned the Think Tank urban disguise range. There was a 35 model which would have carried the camera with a 150 lens and hood all fitted but the bag seemed flimsy and the internal dividers incredibly so. I wanted a vertically orientated bag to hold the camera with a lens and hood all fitted and ready to use.

I also did not like its high price and that the camera opening is a single track zip.

I bought a Tamrac Velocity 8z sling bag which can be both a shoulder bag and a back pack. The "z" versions are slightly squarer at the base compared to the previous models and it can take my 11" MacBook Air and some papers. It has much better padding than the Think Tank option and I can whip out my camera quickly.

It's a bit tight with the 150 and hood fitted on the camera and the laptop but you can't have everything.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 07:19:07 am »

It's a bit tight with the 150 and hood fitted on the camera and the laptop but you can't have everything.
Roger
Thanks for coming back. In your 1st post you said the 50mm? How is the fit with an 80mm/100mm, if you have to compare please.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 02:55:05 pm »

Yes, I have the 50 and the 150. My aim was to carry the lenses with their hoods attached and have one lens on the body at all times.

The Tamrac bag/pack allows this with either lens on/off the body but, if I want to close the lid, things are a bit tight with the 150 and its hood on the body and a laptop in the bag. The bag needs to curve more around the camera to accommodate the extra height of the 150 combination and having the laptop in the bag prevents the curving required.

I hope this makes sense.

There is a Velocity 9x but the bottom of the bag is arced rather than squared off and I don't think it could take a laptop. I was keen to get a smaller bag.

I am going to try using the bag as my daily work bag with just the 50 lens and my laptop. I'll see if I use it at all. I expect the weight will overcome the novelty in the end.

Thanks for coming back. In your 1st post you said the 50mm? How is the fit with an 80mm/100mm, if you have to compare please.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Chris Livsey

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 03:10:25 am »

I hope this makes sense.

More than many posts do  ;D
Thanks for coming back, I will try and find one to look at in person. I currently use a Courierware bag, I didn't recommend it, because I don't.
It does take the body and lens horizontal and, with the 80 and hood, another lens upright, but you need extra protection, the padding is minimal and although the soft shell moulds nicely to the body it looses structure as a result and I find it too floppy to dind any bits in the pockets inside. I keep it because a multi body/lens Leica kit fits well, with Domke type inserts, and it is very un camera bag like.
http://courierbags.com/wp/product/incognito-camera-bag/

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 03:02:37 pm »

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. So, here is a pic of my bag showing my umbrella inside the bag and a drink bottle holder attached to the outside to carry a coat.

I haven't weighed it but it is heavy! When the novelty wears off, I'll use it to carry my mirror-less Sigma!
Roger

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:08:15 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:14:44 pm »

I am 100% certain that MF shooters are not a target audience for any of the bag makers.  Case in point, how many of us are 'bag of the month' club members?  I've got 67, not including the bags that can hang off my ThinkTank belt.  I just got back from 4 days with the H4d, a 35-90, the 80+1.7x and a few other things along side my 15" MBP.  My back hurts, my shoulders hurt, and that's not the worst I've done to them (did this with the 150+210 in addition before).  I'm looking at getting a used 11" MBAir just to cut out as much tech excess as possible, since I need a full machine for the day job.

The body size and lens sizes are beyond what 35mm folks deal with.  I wish ThinkTank did a LensChanger sling that accommodated the 95mm filter stuff that Hass uses everywhere.  I fully believe that MF folks are more than willing to pay more for a bag designed to our common sized gear.  Otherwise we'll all be in Pelican cases with wheels (I'm too young to admit defeat).  I kinda like the Chrome Niko bags I have, the Messenger is perfect for my H with the 80mm and I have the 1.7x sitting upright next to it, while the Pack can take a load, but damn it, I shouldn't be carrying around 50lbs of gear - I can fit that much into/on  it.
t: @PNWMF

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »

Not off the shoulder. But if anyone is looking for a peli type case that builds into a system look no further than DeWalt http://www.dewalt.com
Their cases are brilliant, better made than the tools they make. Much cheaper than cases designed for cameras. You will need to sort out the interior with foam.
Kevin.

BAB

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:24 pm »

Just pre ordered this take a look you might like it also it doesn't look like a dorky camera bag!
http://www.wotancraft.com/home.php?lan=_en
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 04:46:54 am »

Just pre ordered this take a look you might like it also it doesn't look like a dorky camera bag!
http://www.wotancraft.com/home.php?lan=_en

Possibly the most confusing and information light site I have seen for  quite a while.
Which of the multitude of models have you ordered that matches the requirement for a Hx type camera and lens?

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »

I would never "sort out the interior with foam" after seeing a Pelican case with the dense foam interior from which sections were removed to snuggly house an H1 and lenses. The mould throughout the body and the interior of the lenses was spectacular!

There are interlocking compartment systems available which use rigid dividers which are padded with foam or some such. They should be OK because air can circulate around the items in the case and, so, moisture will not be trapped in the case as I think it is with the dense foam systems.

Not off the shoulder. But if anyone is looking for a peli type case that builds into a system look no further than DeWalt http://www.dewalt.com
Their cases are brilliant, better made than the tools they make. Much cheaper than cases designed for cameras. You will need to sort out the interior with foam.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »

That's a good one but, I think it cannot take the second lens with its hood on nor a laptop. Otherwise it seems great for carrying a body and two lenses.

I use a Tenba P series bag. They have a hard & padded bottom so they keep their shape and a couple of outside pockets for batteries etc. As they are a 25 year old design there is a large pocket in the lid for film!
I think they were the first(?) and definitely the best range of bags Tenba has ever produced. They crop up on ebay every now and then.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »

I agree about the Wotan website but, guessing the bag in question is one of the soft carry-all bags, I would be questioning how easily and quickly a camera can be taken out of the bag. It seems to me, you have to undo the buckle on the strap and navigate around the large flap of the cover, which is on the wearer's side of the bag, to get to your gear.

On the Tamrac Velocity 8z, you just slide a zip around three sides of the bag and the top hinges away from the wearer's body. This makes getting the camera out very quick and easy.

Possibly the most confusing and information light site I have seen for  quite a while.
Which of the multitude of models have you ordered that matches the requirement for a Hx type camera and lens?

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 04:31:06 pm »

Well, after carrying my "ideal" Tamrac Velocity 8z shoulder bag and an H2 with 50mm lens to and from work and around the city at lunchtime for two weeks, my back is telling me this is not sustainable! Weight is about 8kg with laptop, umbrella and other bits and pieces.

So, I'm now trying a simple Southern Exposure backpack. I loose the quick access to the camera but the health of my back is more important.

Southern Exposure is a New Zealand manufacturer of camera bags and packs—we do a lot more than farm sheep!
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

yashima

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »

What is everyone's opinion of the old fashioned Billingham?

I have an older styled one with slimmer body which I find great as a shoulder bag. Current style 335 would work too, but abit wide for my liking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up