Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A problem with Mac OS embedded raw camera support  (Read 6317 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
A problem with Mac OS embedded raw camera support
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:11:47 pm »

Apple has just announced raw file support for several new cameras.  However, as far as I can tell, this only applies to the current OS Yosemite and not even to the previous OS Mavericks.  What this means is that those who desire compatibility with new cameras are compelled to upgrade to the latest OS.  Not everyone wants to do that for a variety of good reasons.  I guess this is mainly a problem for those who use Photo or other software that utilizes Mac OS embedded camera support, but I see this as a reason to avoid that trap and to find other raw converting software.  This is an academic issue for me, as I do not use Photo, but I think that it raises interesting questions about Apple's relation to their customers.

Rob

AlterEgo

Re: A problem with Mac OS embedded raw camera support
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:35:15 am »

but I think that it raises interesting questions about Apple's relation to their customers.
why do they have an obligation to add any new features (yes, one might argue that it is a new feature) to any old OS ? it is not like a bug fix, is it ? they naturally want to push users to new OS releases... in some scenarios that might as well make them some money when you can't run newer OSX on your existing Mac...

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:21 pm »

Just FYI... I believe El Capitan (10.11) will run on more (older) Macs than Yosemite (10.10).  They're not so interested in forcing you to the next hardware as you might think.
Regards,
Ron

jrp

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »

It is part of their business model to try to get their customers to upgrade to the latest version of the OS (which is why they made it free to do so).  The result is that it is easier for developers, who don't have to target multiple versions of the OS (as Windows developers do), which leads to more developers and so more apps being built, which makes the hardware more attractive: you don't buy the hardware for the OS, but for what you can run on it, after all.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:20 am »

This post prompted me to finally upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite.
No issues at all on the newish iMac or the 2010 MBP.
Aperture did not update but a quick call to Apple fixed it.
I always wait until about version .3 before upgrading to get the bugs cleared, so I think everyone should upgrade to Yosemite now before they bring out the new OS, otherwise you may not be able to.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »

Would love to upgrade but I can't do it on my anemic broadband. Just wish there was a way to burn a copy of the upgrade/installer to a DVD and mail it to me.

I don't know how people living in rural areas are going to manage since they can't take their Mac devices to an Apple store to have  it done on their broadband.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »

Would love to upgrade but I can't do it on my anemic broadband. Just wish there was a way to burn a copy of the upgrade/installer to a DVD and mail it to me.

I don't know how people living in rural areas are going to manage since they can't take their Mac devices to an Apple store to have  it done on their broadband.

It is possible to download the upgrade but not install it then put it on a thumb drive and install it on other machines.  I've done that rather than downloading it again across my machines.  There are plenty of sites that detail the steps to do this.  If you went somewhere with free wi-fi and plenty of time this approach would work although your bladder may need emptying several times of coffee before completing the download.
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:38:31 pm »

No problem , i will be happy to send an usb-stick to you if you pay for the costs.
Send a pm and you can have 10.9.5  10.10.?  And if you wait a bit longer 10.11.0
I will stick to 10.9.5 until 10.11 is solid ... I guess 10.11.5
About raw support : you can stay on 10.9.5 and copy some files from 10.10.? To get the same raw support i think.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »

Thanks for the offer, Pieter, but I'm going to figure something else out on my own.

Lundberg02

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 01:20:09 am »

Yosemite is just another turkey that didn't get fully cooked. It destroyed Kindle, slowed everything else. It does manage RAM better, though.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 04:15:17 pm »

Yosemite is just another turkey that didn't get fully cooked. It destroyed Kindle, slowed everything ...
Who is going to sit first in their self driven car :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up